Have fun with your new Wing.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2004, 01:24 AM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Well, Maiden is to take place tommorow, barring any extreme acts of god(wind).

Jay
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:54 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Jay,

the weather gods shall be with you. Have fun!

Dennis
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:18 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Well the weather gods were with me, the weather was perfect when I woke up, 0845, ready for the maiden. Until Murphy struck, my brother had taken my car to work, so the maiden had to wait, until he brought it back on his lunch break @ 1030, by then, the weather gods had lost their patience.

When I made it out there, the winds were already at about 7-8mph, gradually raising to 15mph+ while I was there, so needless to say, the maiden was...err...questionable.

First off, let me say all of the launch's went great, , I used finger holes on the bottom of the wing, and it went off and tracked straight each time.

I never actually kept it in the air for longer than a minute, too much damn wind! another problem I was having was a tendency to pitch down, giving me the impression I am a bit nose heavy, which leads me to my next question, should I be balancing the wing on the top, or bottom? The reason I ask, is because if I turn the plane upside down, and balance it on the top, I am a bit more towards 7 inches, when I balance on the bottom, its more towards 8"?? Based upon what I observed in flight, I seem nose heavy.

Between that, and the wind, the flights were pretty hairy. On top of everything, I have no aileron experience

I plan to give her another go bright and early tommorow, see if I can do better.

All in all she seems like a pretty good flying airplane, the pilot may need some work though

Oh, one more question, I seem to have more up aileron than down, should a bit of differntial be used with wings, or should I have equal up and down?

Shaken, but not stirred,
Jay
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:58 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
You'll learn to like the wind with a wing. Launches are easier as well as hand catches (when you get brave enough to point the plane at yourself).
TwinSpar is offline Find More Posts by TwinSpar
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:02 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
"I never actually kept it in the air for longer than a minute"

That's longer than i was able to keep my first wing up in the air on my first day. I made it a full 15 seconds before crash (didn't know how to launch). I always balance my wings with my fingers on the bottom. Works fine for me. The tendency to pitch down is arkward though. I never had a wing come out top heavy in stock configuration. Do you have lead in the nose? Try removing some of it if you do.

The elevon movement, as long as the same on both sides, is ok. Just make sure that one servo does not travel more than the other.

Dennis
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:27 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Update: I got my PCW flying. It flies great now that I fixed the CG. The only problem I have now is it is stranded 40 feet up on top of the school that I fly at.

Update 2: Got it down, everyone can sleep easy tonight now.
Launchpad is offline Find More Posts by Launchpad
Last edited by Launchpad; Jul 26, 2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 06:08 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Pitch Problem

Jay,

I had the same pitch problem on the maiden of my Zaggi XS. Moved the battery back 3 times to rearmost CG area - still pitched down. Dialed in some reflex, then a little more reflex and bam! Perfect! Flys dead on, quick and clean.
Most say that a wing should fly with some reflex. Worth a try.

Mike
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:31 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Reflex = ????? ----up trim??

The instruction mention using a straight edge to set elevon reflex, but it is not very clearly explained.

Thanks
Jay
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:17 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Jay, one thing I have discovered is it is very easy to stall a wing. I had a hard time telling the difference between a tip stall and nose heavy flight on my PCW. I found that if it seems to go up and down a little, the CG is too far back, if it is noseheavy and just dives, more power and up elevator should level it out. I wound up with a bit more up elevator than the recommended amount to trim out the overlord. I also have more up elevon travel than down, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference in flight.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:09 AM
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Reflex

Reflex relates to the entire trailing edge being slightly above neutral. In a conventional aircraft its the uncambering of the main wing, allowing faster airspeed by making the airfoil more symmetrical (less cambered). In a flying wing I believe it, reflex or as you say up trim, acts as a stabilizer. You don't need a lot, but you probably need some. In fact the further back the CG, the less the reflex. Less stable - more fun. Forward CG, more reflex - less fun but very stable.
IMHO.

Mike
Old Jul 27, 2004, 03:12 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Question, What can I do to keep the wingtips from flexing so much during a dive? It seems like the right wingtip flexes a bit more than the left, so it pulls the wing to one side.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 04:33 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Launchpad

If you're talking about the right winglet making the wing yaw to the right, then check the winglet to see if its front to back orientation is more out in the front than at the rear, or maybe just striaght front to back. Seems as though the winglets should be toe'd in (slightly in at the leading edge).
If not there can be a tendency for the wing to hunt for its heading, or pull to one side as you have seen. Also, I've beefed up my winglets quite a bit - 4mm coroplast and a lot of tape - for those almighty 300' diving speed runs!

Mike
Old Jul 27, 2004, 07:30 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
I will try toeing them in a tiny bit. I can see the wingtip bend up a bit when I'm in one of those power dives. I think maybe some strapping tape on the bottom will definitely help.

Thanks Mike,
Mark
Old Jul 28, 2004, 07:34 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Well, still no real flights for my Overlord.

I have to say, this is getting to be a bit ridiculous, I have added 4oz of lead to the nose, and am STILL tail heavy, I honestly dont understand why, considering I am using servo's that weigh over 30 grams each, plus a 6+ oz battery pack.

With the 4oz of lead, the CG barely moved 1/2 inch from where it was without the weight, something has got to be wrong here.

Jay