SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:44 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Yup, I saw that one, forgot about it until now though!, nice wing, I am glad to find it again, as I was about to ask about the correct placement of the winglets(which side is up ), long straight edge on top right?? Also, do they get damaged alot on landing this way?

I little update on my wing, finished covering(taping) the bottom, need to clean up the overhang on the top a bit (see the noticable wrinkles ) ...I also covered the elevons, to match my planned color scheme on the top of the wing, but forgot to take a picture of them

Next comes the long awaited radio equipment installation.

Really appreciate the input!
Jay
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
not really unless you land on gravel, actually I have skidded mine across a walking path at the local park and the middle of the wing touched harder then the winglets.
My winglets are a bit scuffed but no worries..

Chris
Scoobyvroom is offline Find More Posts by Scoobyvroom
Old Jul 21, 2004, 03:51 AM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Well, picked up my new Flash 5 today, seems so far like a pretty sweet little upgrade from my Laser 4.

It came with 4 HS-422 servo's and a hitec 7ch Superslim reveiver, I realize that the HS-81's would have been better, but, hopefully the added weight will help me get her balanced properly..

Also, ScYcS, that razor blade/checkerboard pattern technique worked like a charm for cutting out the foam! I really appreciate your help.
Jay
Last edited by Bernoulli~Bros; Jul 21, 2004 at 03:55 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:54 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
No problem, looks good. You're right, the bigger servos, along with more torque, might help you balance the wing.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:58 AM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Looking good Jay! I'm following along, I've got my servos and RX installed and I've got the whole thing covered. I'm using an 8s CBP1400 which balances the thing out perfectly. I'll throw a couple pics of my progress up tonight. Thanks for the soldering iron tip for making the compartments. It worked great (it was just a little stinky!). I sliced the edges out first with an x-acto, ripped the top bit out with some pliers, and then melted it the rest of the way down with the iron. I got a nice snug fit for everything!
Launchpad is offline Find More Posts by Launchpad
Old Jul 21, 2004, 05:15 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Here are a couple of pics. I laid on the tape from back to front so that the wind wouldn't peel it back during flight. Not much left to finish!!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:27 AM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Okay, so which way do the wingtips go on? I've looked around and seen them both ways on various people's wings. Should the more flat side be towards the top or bottom, or does it matter?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 01:24 AM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Hey guys,

Your builds are looking good!!!

The wing tips go flat site up.

Jay (Bernoulli~Bros)

If you have any problems with that wing do to the spar slot not being precut, please let me know, and I will get you a new set of cores and a spar. I really am sorry for missing that...I guess even I'm not perfect But I'll keep trying.

Thanks,

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old Jul 22, 2004, 02:17 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Launchpad- I have to know, where did you get the Elvish writing??? Did you make the decals yourself? (testors kit or similar)? I am a big LOtR fan, infact my username on several other forums is Peregrin Took.

Looking good! What motor are you planning on using for her? I have a spare factory timed s400 I am gonna start out with, but wonder if I am gonna need a reverse timed 400 or maybe something bigger to get this 27oz beast in the air..

Justin- I dont see any problems with my spar slot, so far, will let ya know though. nobody is perfect, not even I, beleive it or not

Jay
Old Jul 22, 2004, 02:19 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
BTW, the overlord it about complete, just cant post any pictures till I find the damn camera DOH!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:49 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Jay, I used some inkjet printable overhead transparencies I had laying around and swiped some images off the internet to print out on them. I printed them, cut them out, and taped them on. I actually discovered in the process that if you print something out on the transparency (3M multipurpose with an inkjet printer), you can lay the strapping tape down on it and when you peel the tape up, the image sticks to the tape! I had allready taped everything on when I figured this out, but this would be a great way to make light decals cheap.

I'm using a brushless Permax 480 for it swinging a 5x5 prop. I just finished it up and I'm going to try the maiden flight tomorrow. I'm a little nervous because this is my first wing too. I have a PCW too, but I built with the CG off really badly and I haven't gotten it to fly yet. I figured I'd get my feet wet with the overlord first. Mine weighs in right at 27oz.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:59 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
I just got done with a few preliminary hand tosses across the front yard to make sure the CG was good. It was extremely steady and didn't even need any trimming. A medium toss would send it about 150 feet across the yard. I can't wait until tomorrow (I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight).
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:39 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Good luck on your maiden flight!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how it went.

Dennis
Old Jul 23, 2004, 02:22 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Well, I think ive got her done, for the most part.

Had to add about 1 3/4 oz ballast to get her balanced, but still cant get the CG any further forward than 7 3/4inches from the nose.

I tried some hand toss's too, didnt get anywhere near 150', more like 65' with some control input, but hopefuly she'll do okay w/ power.

The tape looks worse in these pictures than it really is, the camere flash really seems to exaggerate wrinkles, plus it shines right thru my purple, making it look more like a dark blue

One more question, just to make sure, these white gunther props go lettering facing away from the airplane, right?

Jay
Old Jul 23, 2004, 02:23 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
yes, lettering on the gunther prop facing towards the rear.

Seeing your model stand in the last picture, you are prepared for the worst!!

Dennis