HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:25 AM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Hobby Shops in Richmond VA area?

The soon-to-be wife and I are taking a long weekend next week to visit my sister at her newly acquired home in Richmond, Virginia. I don't really have too much scheduled (other than the obligatory trip to Busch Gardens) and unfortunately don't have a "packable" plane I can take(and that will be the subject of another thread). So, just in case I start to go into RC withdrawal, I'd like to know if there are any good hobby shops in the greater Richmond area specializing in e-flight, helis, or even *gasp* glow planes? I always like to visit the local stores when I'm travelling, just to see what's available outside of my home range.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2004, 04:28 PM
dougbarry
n/a Posts
Regretfully the answer is ... NO!
LHS is a disaster ... owner tries hard but just doesn't quite get it.

Doug Barry
Richmond VA
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:45 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
You might check-out the "Hobby Corner" located on the south-side in the "360" shopping center at Hull Street and Turner Rd....last time in they had some electric stuff including various BL's, CC Esc's, a LiPo or 2 (TP and Kokam) and usual asst GWS arf's and a few other popular E- arf's and kits......a fair selection of the popular radios and glow stuff.....not exactly a "Hobby-Lobby" warehouse but probably worth the ride........... kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:58 PM
Flies like an...
Joined May 2004
108 Posts
If you're going to Busch, there are two not too far away, in Newport News, Stream Hobbies, and Hobby Town...I have a sales slip from Stream around here somewhere with a phone number...
ok, Stream's number is 757-591-0720, email is stream.hobbyshop@verizon.net
Both are very good, Stream has more aircraft and Hobby Town has more cars/trucks and such.
Vernon is offline Find More Posts by Vernon
Last edited by Vernon; Jul 11, 2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:37 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Doug, that sounds like MY lhs. Pretty much anything I want except for small stuff, I have to order. But I do, because he gives me reasonable pricing and quick turnaround.
KW, I'll check that out--should be about 15 minutes away from my sister's place.
Vernon, Newport News, while not exactly around the corner, is sorta on the way home, because we usually take the bay bridge-tunnel route. I might have to check that out. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:35 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,690 Posts
I'm in Richmond for this week, and I might be looking for something to build- probably FF and small. Any ideas?

TIA

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:01 AM
Herndon, VA
Joined Oct 2005
1,437 Posts
What's wrong with the HobbyTown USA at Parham and, what is that, Broad? I bought some of my first outrunners there, they flew great!
RE
Edmonds is offline Find More Posts by Edmonds
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:42 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Wow! Some thread archaeology going on here! I don't think that Hobbytown was there yet when I first posted this thread......but I have been there. Much bigger than "my" local hobbytown and not too bad selection.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:51 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Oct 2005
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomber View Post
Wow! Some thread archaeology going on here! I don't think that Hobbytown was there yet when I first posted this thread......but I have been there. Much bigger than "my" local hobbytown and not too bad selection.
Oh man, I didn't even look at the dates!
RE
Edmonds is offline Find More Posts by Edmonds
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,690 Posts
Went there today. Girlfriend came up with a good idea- pass on a Guillows kit- buy a larger building board to leave down here and build the airplane I've brought along.

As hobby shops go- not great, but better than nothing.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:54 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Is there anything other than HobbyTown on Broad street? I am relatively new to Richmond and not quite satisfied with their prices on a lot of things and selection can be thin for various parts.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Jan 06, 2010, 03:44 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,648 Posts
That's a good question. The Richmond area is in dire need of a good hobby shop.

Stream Hobby that was mentioned above is now closed. The owner retired and it is very much missed.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member