HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:04 AM
Lake Orion, Michigan, United States
Joined Mar 2002
70 Posts
Giant flying wing - input please - moved from flying wing's forum.

I have been tempted to launch a giant flying wing for some time for various reason, and need some input:

I have a design loosely based upon Brian Shaw's El Condor from 1994, enlarged quite a bit. I am aiming for a 6m span (ap. 240 inches), and might keep the polyhedral design from El Condor. A few questions: My target is a 6,250 - 9,000 sq inch. area, and a weight around 20-25 lb, with a WL of 8-11 ounces/sq ft. somewhere. Probably go electric on a 1,200 - 1,500 watt power system.

What airfoil is recommended? Used for Thermal duration only.
Should I keep the stock reflex?
Can I thin the airfoil a bit and count on higher Rn to support a lower drag airfoil, with constant stability, lift coeff, and CG?
Can I keep the CG stock, around the 16% mark or should I move it due to scaling of the size?

Construction in mind is CF round LE, Foam ribs, D-tube setup, leave the inner section one piece at 2m, and two tips at 2m each. Probabaly remove the sheeting on the outer two sections. I just bought a Rebelove, and got some serious apprecitaion for how light, and strong a non-sheeted wing can be.

Four servo wing, each one driving a section of the TE.

Is there a better original to scale up?

Thanks in advance,

Anders
AndersHoberg is offline Find More Posts by AndersHoberg
to remove ads between posts