HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:19 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,779 Posts
LOL, All you guys make me feel better.
I got home last night and removed the gear out of it and took a good look at the airframe. It does not look bad at all. In fact it should all be put back together before next weekend. The nose is only cracked on the top and has a small hole on the bottom and there is a small crack on the side by the cover. Very minor fix. May require a lot of patching and filling to look new again. The tail is no problem some epoxy and it will be re-attached. a little filler here and there to smooth it back out again. All in all I think I got kind of lucky with where it hit. a couple of feet one way or another and it would have hit solid rock. The tide pool it dove into was about a foot deep and I'm sure that saved the airframe. The radio well its wet. The receiver was already corroding inside, the servos don't look to bad, but I have not looked inside them yet. I can steel a receiver out of my old 60" wing and put in new servos that came with my futaba 9c. So I will be back with duel rates and reduced travel. Also I'm going to try to get some color on it too. I'm going with the old crow theme. After this it seems to fit.

I can't wait to see the video. It will probably show me flying it like an 80 year old women. I got to be better than Kevin at something.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:11 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday48
All you guys that fly these planes with such grace. My hats off to you because these planes are a handfull.
Doc,
Sorry to hear that your plane went in the water. I've had a couple go in myself. It's just one of the perils of flying at Fermin.

Use about negative 70 percent exponential on your ailerons. It's very easy to set this up on the 9C. TFLG turned me onto that a while back and I fly all my planes that way now. It makes the the roll rate nice and gentle in the middle of the stick so you can fly "gracefully" , but still gives you a nice snappy roll rate when you want it.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:27 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Nice P-51 Brian! (surprise suprise)

Love that particular scheme...

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Last edited by ericm; Aug 30, 2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:47 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
I can't wait to see the video. It will probably show me flying it like an 80 year old women. I got to be better than Kevin at something.

Bob[/QUOTE]

ROFL, Are you refering to me? Werent you there when I crashed into that succulent plant on the left side? I was just flyin from right to left, no one near me, no distractions..lol..... and for no other reason than bad pilotage I plow right into a bush. Then it flopped over once and landed on the face, almost 90 deg. and just stuck there........ like it was glued to the cliff face. It shoulda dropped the hundred or so feet and exploded. Luck I guess. At least you were willing to roll yours...lol

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:53 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
LOL!...

yeah, they seem to pop up from time to time, usually on weekends. haha

JOe
Haha, good one!

Good luck with the rebuild/refit Doc! Gotta see this one through to a happy ending!

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:05 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Hey Doc--- so ya got a floater?? No problem-- send the gear into the manufacturer for a rebuild-- DON'T trust the reciever!! Too bad-- but I've flown a few--"boats" myself over the years-- be sure and spray out the torque rods real good with WD or something to be sure there is no salt water in there!! A little corosion really makes for tight ailerons!! Then--- hoist the main sail and fly on!!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,779 Posts
LOL, You guys crack me up. And thanks for all the great tips.

Use about negative 70 percent exponential on your ailerons. It's very easy to set this up on the 9C. TFLG turned me onto that a while back and I fly all my planes that way now. It makes the the roll rate nice and gentle in the middle of the stick so you can fly "gracefully" , but still gives you a nice snappy roll rate when you want it.

Russ, I did use expo on this flight, but unfortunately I only used -35% on both ailerons and rudder. This helped a little a -70 wow thats alot I may try that and reduce the end points a little until I get more use to it. I use expo on my moth and it helps a lot especially on the pitch.

Tim that is good a floater. back int the 70's that meant a big thermal type plane. I will spray the rods with WD for sure that is a good tip. Thanks. This is probably the wrong forum to ask this but, does anybody have any experience in sending stuff to Futaba? If not I will go to the radio forum and post the question there.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48