Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:29 AM
Tuskegee Airmen; My Heros
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Bob,
feel free to bring your plane over in the early evenings or the weekend. PM me and I will give you directions. You dont need an incidence meter, just a very flat surface, and I will show you how that works.
Ray
RayH is offline Find More Posts by RayH
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:29 AM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Okay fine, I gotta have one too now. And yes, ailerons look MUCH BETTER. What is it about Mustangs? They just have absolutely magnificent lines... It's said that form follows function, but the function of the form results in some aircraft with very pleasing shapes...

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:36 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,049 Posts
I think Robert is bringing a few kits to Soar Utah. If you give him a heads up he might be able to bring one for you.

Brian
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:17 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,774 Posts
Hi Ray, I will take you up on that I should have the wings glued on tonight. I would very much like to learn how you set it up with a flat surface because I have access to precision inspection tables at work. I will PM you as soon as it is ready.

Thanks,
Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:40 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,049 Posts
It's pretty easy. Look at the picture.

First block the plane up on the bench so that it does not move around. Put blocks under the wings too to make it more stable.

2) measure distance 1. That is the distance from the table to the front of the leading edge, (The most forward portion of the radius). Lay a square on the table and measure where it contacts the LE.

3) measure distance 2. Same procedure as aboove but measure to the trailing edge. measure to the center of the trailing edge since most leading edges are about 1/16 thick.

4) move the plane on the blocks until you get the two measurements the same. Distance 1 and distance two should be identical. measure it at several locations along the wing not just the root. If you get different numbers try to find out why. I prefer to take my readings in about the middle of the wing rather than at the root or tip.

5) once you get your plane level. Then you can install the stab. set it on the saddle and lay a bubble level on it. You want the bubble in the middle!

TFLG
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:28 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,774 Posts
TFLG, I had thought about doing something very simular to your set up. But after seeing others using an incidence meter I decided that was the way to go. I'm thinking I could bring my plane into work and check it here. I work at a compay that makes flight controls for miltary and comercial aircraft. I work in supplier quality and my office is in the receiving inspection room. We have all kinds of fancy measuring equipment. Although I'm sure it would be interesting to go to Rays shop and check it out too. Boy what a choice. Go to Rays, take it to work.....Go to Rays, take it to work... Well I'm going to have think about this.

Thanks,
Bob
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:35 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
I think Robert is bringing a few kits to Soar Utah. If you give him a heads up he might be able to bring one for you.
Oh MAN...so much for my "economy" trip to Soar Utah... With all the stuff that I'm packing, I'm not sure I'll have room to take anything else back with me! Guess I could hold the box on my lap, lol

ericm
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:36 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,049 Posts
Who needs a box!
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:38 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Oooo, good point! I will have to seriously consider this...

ericm
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:44 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,774 Posts
Hey another question for the experts. I have been looking at the nose of my plane for a while now and there are no exhaust stacks. Does anyone no where to get simulated exhaust stacks or should I carve some out of some wood? or should I just leave them off. I see that the aircobra has them molded in.

Bob
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:51 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
You can make some fairly easily using some wood and brass tubing. It'd be nice if there was some molded ones available... I duplicated a set once from an old .40-sized House of Balsa Mustang kit, but those were a bit big...

ericm
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:57 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,049 Posts
Buy and aircobra and cut off the stacks.

I usually just make mine from scrap balsa. You don't need to do anything too complicated but it sure looks better with something stuck there.

TFLG
Old Aug 11, 2004, 03:25 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,774 Posts
ok, anybody got a crunched aircobra? Just kidding. I think I can come up with somthing made out of wood.

Thanks again,
Bob
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:22 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
You kiddin.... some cut brass tubing, on some balsa, or whatever would look super cool. If the Aircobra did have em already...sheesh... I know everything has a value, but I'd put some kick booty stacks on that bad boy, and I wouldnt be concerned with parasite drag, or if it added 5 ounces!! Sure would look cool.

Geez, even TFLG's diagrams got panel lines.... no wonder why he's so good at it!! Im gonna go practice some panel lines ... on the vacuum cleaner, the toaster and the toilet!!!

Its gonna be sahweeeeet!!

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:01 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,774 Posts
Kevin and TFLG, I have a couple of idea's going for the stacks. Tomorrow I will get my idea's drawn up and posted. See what every one thinks.

I primered the fuse and tail pieces today and got the wings glued on tonight and my control linkages all built up. I will post some pics of the results tomorrow.

Kevin, I'm glad you are getting some pratice with panel lines. Like I said earlier Just do it!!!!! LOL

Bob