HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2004, 01:08 AM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Another possibility is my being down at Fermin during the week.

We'll talk.

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2004, 10:01 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
cool let me know

thanks Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Aug 08, 2004, 10:20 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
If you live in Torrance you aren't far from Ray-- He should have an incidence meter! See if he'll help ya set it! FYI Tim
timmig is online now Find More Posts by timmig
Old Aug 08, 2004, 10:29 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
That should work better for you, cause I just got off the phone and Im starting a job this week, and probably wont get down to Fermin till the weekend.

Kevin

Ray's cool, helped me alot!! Ask em.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 10:38 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
Ok, Thanks I will ask.

Bob
Old Aug 09, 2004, 11:48 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
Here are some new pictures. Wings are almost ready to glue on just need to finish the leading edge strakes. The wing tips are a little more scale now but I ended up having to taper the trailing edge a little to get it all to match. I know that is not to scale but what are you going to do I suppose I could take off the tips and make new ailerons. But I want to fly it now. So I'm going to leave it this way. The next one I will make better.

Bob
Old Aug 09, 2004, 11:57 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,141 Posts
Just straighten the trailing edge out. It will look waaay better than having that weird taper at the end. I've done it on lots of my planes. Just get a long straight edge and and exacto and cut the trailing edge straight. Another method is a long sanding block. Or glue a couple of sheets of sandpaper to your bench and sand it on those. You gotta get is straight though or it will look funky.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:36 AM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
I had to straighten mine out on the Aircobra... once it was attached to the torque rods, and I hinged the ailerons leaving the 1/16" gap for the one peice covering job, It was sticking out further than the inboard portion of the trailing edge near the fuse, where the torque rods are housed in the wing. I just taped the aileron to hold it in place and used a long sandingblock, like TFLG said. Then I sanded the edge, top and bottom, to get the taper back on the TE. Wont take but 5-10 minutes per side.

Kevin
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:25 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
Good idea. That will work. I will take care of that tonight. and I agree looking at the pics it does look a little funky. I wished we had this forum on line back in the 70's when I 1st started flying. The sharing of info really helps.

Thanks,
Bob
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:31 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Doesn't it though? That Mustang is looking super, I love the B model. Makes me want to get one. Dang, so many cool planes, so little time...

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:00 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
Well I fixed the trailing edge and got the leading edge strakes glued and sanded. Next is gluing the wings on. But I need some metal clevises before I do that. To the model shop tomorrow. In the mean time I can finish the putting in all the hindges and the plywood mount for the radio equipment.

Here is a picture with the changes. Thanks for the advice it came out great.
and Eric you are right the lines of this plane are great. The guy who design this plane did a great job and yes I know who that is. Of course CSD had done a nice job producing it too.

Bob
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:38 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,141 Posts
Bueno! much better. Now for some history. The original P-51B was actually carved by our resident lush "Dutchydawg". Once CSD decided to take over production of the line I reworked the plane making the fuse slightly wider, Changing the shape of the canopy and adding the window frames. The fillets were added and the spinner was reshaped. The spinner on the plug is actually a DuBro plastic spinner. That was done so the fuse could be used as an electric plane. So there you have it. And "that's the way it was"

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:48 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Looking real sharp now Doc!! Well, I dont know how I lasted this long....... but, seeing that naked mustang..... and getting some history.....Im calling Robt tommorrow....... I gots to have me one!!!! Weeeeeeeeeee
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:10 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
TFLG. Thanks for the history lesson. I also recognized the name on the plans too. I was really wanting the BD5 and when Robert at CSD told it would be a while, he talked me right into the P51B. Of course it didn't take much talking. I'm glad this is my first glass plane. I hope I can do it justice on the paint job. I'm hoping CSD will have the BD ready by Christmas cause it is gong on my list.

Kevin, all I can say is if it flys as good as it looks. You need one. Just do it!!!!!!!

Bob
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:16 AM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Kevin, all I can say is if it flys as good as it looks. You need one. Just do it!!!!!!!

Bob[/QUOTE]

Those are magical words!! Aint gots to tell me but once!!!!
Kevin