HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2004, 01:23 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Mr. Lin, a question about making planes.

Mr. Lin,
Can you explain how your planes are made? I was curious about the molds and how they work. I have tried to find some info online or maybe a company that has a site to explain it but I thought I would ask you.

Why are there so many bumps on the surface of the planes?

What is the difference between your style and the extruded foam used by Flying Styro and Alfa Models? Are they the same foam? Their skins are so much thinner, is it more expensive to manufacture in that way?

I would like to learn more about this topic and anything you could share would be appreciated.

I have an A-10 and its so cool, I put Vassa 55 fans with the Speed 300's in it though.
Thanks,
Chris...
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2004, 11:47 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
I think it's fairly obvious that the GWS planes are made by the foam injection molding method.

The foam is EPS, Expanded Polystyrene, just like the el cheapo foam coolers that 7-11 sells for $5 more then they should cost...

you will probably find out more info then Mr Lin can supply by simply searching google for "foam injection molding"...

It might be interesting for the tech junkies to know what brand/model machines GWS is currently using in the foam molding dept.

I'm not sure about the 'meat tray' style wings that are skinned with plastic(ky) material on one side. Maybe heated sheet EPS vacuum formed over a mold and bonded to the skin in one step?
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Last edited by indybudd; Jul 08, 2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:09 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Flying Stro's are made out of Depron. My guess is they heat it over a mold and vacuum form it.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87