SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2004, 02:14 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
How to wreck your tail motor by adding a pinion (PLS HELP!!!!!!!)

Ok....well, I got the dual tail setup right, and the gears are noisy (coz they suck)

So, I ordered some stock tail pinions to replace them, which is supposed to be much better.

However....on these tail motors (like90 - allelectonics?) the shaft does'nt go thru to the other side of the motor, so when you push the pinion on theres nothing to push against, thus wrecking the motor...yay...

Well,

1) How the shiznits do you put on the pinion without wreckin the motor?!
2) Gimme a link to these tail motors from allerc pls I dunno which... Thanx!

I usually push on both ends of the shaft so no pressure is put on the motor...but you can't do that if theres just plastic on the other side....
smste2 is offline Find More Posts by smste2
Last edited by smste2; Jul 08, 2004 at 02:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2004, 04:41 AM
Joined May 2004
66 Posts
Hmmm, when I put the pinions on they only needed very little pressure, just slid on really easily. I put a bit of glue on and no problems.

I have rewritten this a dozen times attempting to make it not sound so funny, but I've given up. I can't help how it sounds. Have you tried lubricating the shaft before putting the pinion on?
torque2me is offline Find More Posts by torque2me
Old Jul 08, 2004, 05:12 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
it just squeezed on? ru serious?

I had to press these down onto the desk with plyers to get em on....

damn!
Old Jul 08, 2004, 07:07 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
sms...sounds like you have a larger shaft than torque

I hope that was the beginning and end of the inuendo
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2004, 08:13 AM
Joined May 2004
66 Posts
Either that or I have larger pinions.

Damn the 1970's British comedy I was force fed during my tender years.

Getting back to the subject, honestly they just went on with finger pressure. I didnt use any tool at all.
torque2me is offline Find More Posts by torque2me
Old Jul 08, 2004, 09:16 AM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me
Damn the 1970's British comedy I was force fed during my tender years.
http://www.melaman2.com/tvshows/mp3/Benny_Hill_Show.mp3

MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Jul 08, 2004, 09:33 AM
Old USAF Fixed Wing
Portland, OR
Joined May 2004
355 Posts
smste2, I run Like90's dual tail motors on my HB FP Elite and they work fine. I did have to very slightly elongate my mounting holes, but Colin and others did'nt so I'll write that off as slight mfg tolerances on my stock tail mount. Note, this was only about 1/32". The gears mesh perfectly. In my case, I'm running seperates with the Like90 blades, a GY240, and the dual motors made a major difference in authority compared to stock.

- Tom
thandley is offline Find More Posts by thandley
Old Jul 08, 2004, 09:44 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
well..i can also confirm that the like90 dual tail pinions to not match the dragonfly spur gear.

I removed the pinions and put on the stock dragonfly ones. one went on easy, and one did not fit for a strange reason (too loose)...then when i tried to put back the like90 one, I ruined the motor somehow.

I think i can get it working by using just the stock dragonfly motor and resoldering the connections.

I still have faith it will work, and work well, but for a dragonfly, it's not a drop in upgrade.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2004, 10:02 AM
Old USAF Fixed Wing
Portland, OR
Joined May 2004
355 Posts
OzzieFlyer, I have no experience with the Dragonfly but there is a difference between the HB vii and the HB Elite series. Hopefully Colin will jump in with some insight. I know he metioned the Duals were designed for the HB and the Elite. I wonder if the DF used a different motor and/or pinion and/or the tail gear is different?

- Tom
thandley is offline Find More Posts by thandley
Old Jul 08, 2004, 10:32 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
Yeah...could be there is a SLIGHT diff in the tail pinion + gear for DF compared to HB...

also maybe the brand of pinions u buy? I got century stock pinions.
Old Jul 08, 2004, 10:33 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
smste2, try heating the pinion first with an soldering iron. It will expand.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:23 PM
Near Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Apr 2003
248 Posts
Some of the Like90 pinions were manufactured to the wrong specification. All the ones they are selling now have the correct tooth form to match the plastic gears on the micro helicopters. The shaft hole is a very light press or slip fit on the motors so you wont damage the motor when fitting the gear, but the gear will have to be fixed to the shaft with Loctite (609,640,680) or CA. If you are having a problem, contact them and I think they will take care of it.
Gail
GailInNM is offline Find More Posts by GailInNM
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:26 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,144 Posts
This is the reason we use glue on pinions with the tail motors we supply. A dab of loctite 680, and the pinion will be on and super secure, with no possibility of camaging the motor.
Our pinion manufacturer caught a small deviation in the size of our pinions, and has corrected the situation. Contact us through the like90 website online form if you have received pinions that dont mesh well.
The tail motor bracket for the Elite is different than the standard tail bracket in a couple of ways. It is angled to allow the use of the stock tail rotor blade protector stick thingy. (sorry for using such technical industry jargon) As well, the diameter of the mounting location (the part that glues on to the stock plastic tail motor mount) is ever so slightly larger than the standard mount. So definitely use the Elite bracket for the Elite series heli, and the standard bracket for all others.
One more thing. With the large number of different micro heli's on the market, it is next to impossible to have a single product that is a perfect match for each heli.
Some of the tail gears stand farther off the bearings than others do (The Aerohawk for example) In this case, about all we can do is to suggest that you slightly sand down the standoff on the tail gear until you get proper alignment.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:26 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,144 Posts
looks like Gail and I were typing at the same time.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Jul 08, 2004, 02:16 PM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
Thanks to Gail and Like90 =)

All good Yukonho, you can't work miracles!! =)

Sent a msg thru your site.

I like your dual tail Gail, awesome, just wanna get it working 100% coz I know it's the best fix out there for tail.

Lynxman ---- so now you tell me! heat it with a soldering iron ey! Thanx

....oh and incidentally...I do have a larger shaft than torq!!! Of course!!!
Last edited by smste2; Jul 08, 2004 at 02:18 PM.