HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2002, 11:11 PM
Sammamish, WA
Joined Nov 2001
106 Posts
Hobby Lobby Lightweight Wheel Question

I have some .062 wire that I just bought. The LHS didn't have any suitable scale looking wheels for the Tigermoth. So, will the Hobby Lobby Lightweight Wheels work on that size wire? And if they won't, how can I make them work, or should I buy a different size wire? I'm talking about the wheels that Basketcase and some other members have on their TM's.

-Brian
janitor13 is offline Find More Posts by janitor13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2002, 12:01 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I don't have those wheels to hand, but if the 1/16 wire is too big for the hole, just drill the hub. If too small, sleeve the axles with 3/32 OD brass or aluminum tubing. If that's still too small, add another sleeve of 1/8 OD aluminum tubing. I'd be surprised if the hub holes are bigger than 1/8 inch on any wheels suitable for the TM.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:01 AM
Sammamish, WA
Joined Nov 2001
106 Posts
Thanks BEC, I just remembered, what about Trexler Wheels? Is there an online store where I can get them? And if I did, what size should I get? Also, will the .062 wire fit with the Trexlers?

-Brian
Old Jan 21, 2002, 03:21 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I don't know about an online source of Trexlers right now. Andy Clancy was distributing them, and he's transitioning Clancy Aviation to Hobby People. Last time I talked to Mike Greenshields they were having trouble getting stock.

But I usually get mine from Websters Hobby in Seattle.

The small sizes have about 3/32 diameter holes. I'd suggest #2 or #3 as being about the right size for the TM. Hmmmmmm - I have a pair of #2s put away for another airplane it will be a long time before I get to - maybe I should put them on MY TM.

Their hubs are quite wide, so if you plan to use them, get them before you make up the new gear or you'll be making up another one.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 21, 2002, 09:11 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Brian, I'm using the 1-11/16 Lyt from HL on my moth. With an aluminum tube and a nylon tube for spacers as Bernard said.

Since my landings have improved I've gone back to the original gear wire to save weight, and only mangle it occasionally now.

The aluminum tube lets it fit the LS size wire and the nylon shrinks it down to fit the TM wire.

The Trexler's you can get from Sig.

I've tried the #6's, which are way too big but I was hoping they would help with grass strip operations. They have a 1/16 hole that fits perfectly on LS size wire (1.4mm)

I've also been using short pieces of wire insulation to hold on the wheels. With a little searching I've managed to find the right size to fit any wire.

Good luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Jan 21, 2002 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 09:54 AM
Spokane, WA
Joined Nov 2001
49 Posts
bushing stock

I have been using the outer portion of the s507 pushrods from Sullivan. They fit perfect in the H.L. LYT wheels 1" and 1 5/16" wheels. This allows the user to use 1/32" M.W. for landing gear which will support about a 8 oz model max.

Chris
Chris G Hansen is offline Find More Posts by Chris G Hansen
Old Jan 21, 2002, 12:59 PM
Sammamish, WA
Joined Nov 2001
106 Posts
I just tried calling Websters Hobby in Seattle and it said that the number had been disconnected or is not in service. Did the shop close or something? If they weren't open today, would I get that kind of message?
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:02 PM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
I found these tiny Dubro wheels that work PERFECTLY for the real tail-skid on the Moth. Take a look, let me know what you think.

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:06 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Looks good.. thanks, I was on a mission this weekend to get a bunch of mod-parts for the TM. The tail wheel was next on the list
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:12 PM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
I used Du-Bro 1" Mini Lite Wheels (0.9g each), Cat. # 100MW (got from Hobby People, but I'm sure Hobby Lobby has them). I put one wheel on each side of the clevis, and used leftover rod from the pushrods to thread through (fit perfectly). I then used the leftover plastic parts (that whole thing that has extra pieces) to find some wheel endcaps like those on the front wheel. I spaced it a couple mm from the wheel, and used CA glue to hold it on. Works perfectly.

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3
Last edited by segal3; Apr 17, 2006 at 03:43 PM.