HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2004, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
two hours 2 build and what a good 3dr

this is a new plane i threw together in about 2 hours and half, just trying some things out with airfoils and a few other trick and boy does she fly, my buddy (JOHNNY DELUXE) and me were flying it on monday and this plane is so stable in all manuevers, harriers with no wing rock, water falls with no snaping out tendicies, stays in track all the time wind and no wind . now we are going to put her on a diet , going to try to loose some ounces.
torqeroll is offline Find More Posts by torqeroll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2004, 04:54 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
What's it made of? How much does it weigh? What is the power plant?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Jul 07, 2004, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2002
180 Posts
very nice!
COOLDOG is offline Find More Posts by COOLDOG
Old Jul 07, 2004, 05:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
foam and wood

well i put the plane together with what ever i found on the bench and really wasnt trying to save any weight . just wanted to see how it would fly, now that we flew it we are really pumped up because the plane flew so good. the motor is a himax 2015 -4100 on a cobri gear box 6 to 1 gear on 12-6 apc, castle 25, kokam 1500 3-s, and 3 hitec 55s. the plane weighs 18 ounces with battery ready to fly. now she goes on a diet . i took the plane apart today so i can make some templates and start building two more one for me and jonny deluxe, we are going to change diameters of wood and shave here and their to get the weight of the new ones down. i am shooting for 15 ounces or less to make the plane fly even better. we really dont like them any lighter because we only fly outdoors. (always windy in miami) the fuse is 3/4 foam sheet from home depot, rapped in wood stripp around the whole sercumfrence, a balsa built up wing, and a full flying stab. this is not a small plane the wing is 35 inches and the fuse is 37 inches from prop to end of rudder.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 05:57 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I don't know if this will help you save weight or not but I rebuilt a T3D II recently. I had to make a new fuselage from pink foam board. I reused a cf rod from the original eps fuselage and skinned the foam with tyvek from FEDEX envelopes. I used auto trim aerosol adhesive (like 3m ) and the thing is really strong. It did a triple cartwheel last night and only broke the prop saver.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:32 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqeroll
stays in track all the time wind and no wind .
Torky, you for got to mention that the wind was blowin' an easy/steady 10+!

Pumped is right!! I could'nt believe how rock-solidly stable this design was. We put 'er through all the paces including:
*T/R's
*Rolling Tailslides (from about 30' down to about 3")
*Hovers
*K/E Hover
*Harriers (upright/inverted)
*Waterfalls
*Drifting Waterfalls
*Stationary Rolling Harriers
*Rolling Elevators
*Flat Spins (upright/inverted)
were all performed in winds ranging 0-10mph and effortlessly executed all mega-maneuvers, on command.

Oh, and only one aileron servo (HS55) was used, but the aileron response made it feel like two.

Torky, I picked up a few 1/16" sheets and a buncha' 3/16" and 1/8"sq strips for the wing. I'm guessing you could prolly bring the weight down to about 12-13oz, huh? Man, I'd really like to strap on my AXI 2212/26...wadda' you think? And what about that pushrod material? Any ideas?

Hey, does anyone know if the wing weight will be reduced to 1/2, if the construction material size is reduced by 1/2?
JohnnyDeluxe is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyDeluxe
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:52 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I would imagine if you removed half the wing, you would remove half the weight. Sounds logical.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:59 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
316 Posts
lol mex, but that would logically increase wing loading...lol

What I meant was to keep the wing size proportioned to spec but to reduce the size of the building material itself. Only drawback that I can see from this would be reduced strength and rigidity.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:17 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I know what you mean. Whether you actually lop off half the wing or half of the total material it should have the same affect. What is a tailslide - rolling or otherwise?
Old Jul 08, 2004, 03:53 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
tail slide

a tail slide, rolling or not is when you are in a hover and drop the plane down with the tail still in the down posittion , you can do them from a torqroll or even a directional tail slide were you steer the plane were you want it to go with rudder and elevator and drop some serious altitude.
Old Jul 08, 2004, 03:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
tail slide

a tail slide, rolling or not is when you are in a hover and drop the plane down with the tail still in the down posittion , you can do them from a torqroll or even a directional tail slide were you steer the plane were you want it to go with rudder and elevator and drop some serious altitude. hey (johnny) ,i think your theroy on loosing half the weight sounds good but we will have to be carefull with flex? have any more pictures to post (deluxe)
Old Jul 08, 2004, 08:00 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Put some CF ribbon on edge in a slit in the foam. Very light and very stiff.
Old Jul 08, 2004, 09:05 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
Put some CF ribbon on edge in a slit in the foam. Very light and very stiff.
mexico, although I agree with your CF suggestion on a foam wing, the wing construction on Torqueroll's design is made entirely out of wood.

The pics below depict a better image of the wing construction. Any suggestions on using the CF strip in this (wooden wing) application? Where can we find this material?

The fuze however, is made entirely from foam, perhaps the CF strip can be applied in this area instead of the balsa wrap around stiffener. Wadda ya think, Torky?

I believe he's (torqueroll) currently working on sheer webbing or truss reinforcement a-la Diablotin to further strengthen the wing. Corner gussets are also being considered.
Old Jul 08, 2004, 09:12 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
You couls use the same CF ribbon anf use CA to attach to the balsa wing spar. I got some this week from Tower Hobby. Look under the Dave Brown products
Old Jul 08, 2004, 09:19 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
They let you guys fly RC at the airport in Mijami?