SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2004, 03:47 PM
Lake Orion, Michigan, United States
Joined Mar 2002
70 Posts
Giant flying wing project - input please?

I have been tempted to launch a giant flying wing for some time for various reason, and need some input:

I have a design loosely based upon Brian Shaw's El Condor from 1994, enlarged quite a bit. I am aiming for a 6m span (ap. 240 inches), and might keep the polyhedral design from El Condor. A few questions: My target is a 6,250 - 9,000 sq inch. area, and a weight around 20-25 lb, with a WL of 8-11 ounces/sq ft. somewhere. Probably go electric on a 1,200 - 1,500 watt power system.

What airfoil is recommended? Used for Thermal duration only.
Should I keep the stock reflex?
Can I thin the airfoil a bit and count on higher Rn to support a lower drag airfoil, with constant stability, lift coeff, and CG?
Can I keep the CG stock, around the 16% mark or should I move it due to scaling of the size?

Construction in mind is CF round LE, Foam ribs, D-tube setup, leave the inner section one piece at 2m, and two tips at 2m each. Probabaly remove the sheeting on the outer two sections. I just bought a Rebelove, and got some serious apprecitaion for how light, and strong a non-sheeted wing can be.

Four servo wing, each one driving a section of the TE.

Is there a better original to scale up?

Thanks in advance,

Anders
AndersHoberg is offline Find More Posts by AndersHoberg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2004, 08:04 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,270 Posts
Quote:
6m span
Wow! Isn't that larger than "legally" acceptable - like, doesn't that violate some sort of FAA (or equiv.) rule or something?

I sure want to see this thing if you ever get it going. Six meters? Wow, very cool!
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:06 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
I have found this site a great source of information on flying wings.
http://www.b2streamlines.com/

I am building a 2.5m x 0.45m wing for Thermal duration flying..its loosely modelled after the R2 wing described. I use the BW 05 02 09 airfoil described there.

You might want to try Martin Hepperle's website for more info.

Shane

PS I might do a 4m wing after this one is built but 6m....wow, thats going to be monster!
shaneyee is online now Find More Posts by shaneyee
Old Jul 08, 2004, 06:06 PM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
I would choose a selig foil shape, but first i recomend you post this in the modeling Science forum.
DaveGherardini is offline Find More Posts by DaveGherardini
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:06 AM
Lake Orion, Michigan, United States
Joined Mar 2002
70 Posts
Moved to modelling science

Ok, I don't know how to move this. I copied/paste, but there must be another better way.
AndersHoberg is offline Find More Posts by AndersHoberg
Old Jul 09, 2004, 10:58 AM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
609 Posts
The Selig S5010 is a very good airfoil, I have used it on a two meter wing and it flew very well.

Also check in with Bill and Bunny at B2 Streamlines they are extremely helpful to folks needing useful info concerning flying wings.

Mike
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Jul 10, 2004, 09:42 PM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
Anders. I thought there would be much more enthusiasim in MS than you have recieved so far. Give them some time though, there is a pool of knowledge that hangs out there thats huge. Back t the foil shape. MikeC has brought to the table the S5010 foil shape. I think hes given great advice here with this shape. the S5020 has a slight less drag but its your final decision on all the comprimises of higher lift vs lower drag. To be honest, it sounds like your already headed the right direction. Do you have profili? if not i would recomend you get it, its free and you can visual compare the foil shapes. I think you know what your looking for and this might help you compare.
DaveGherardini is offline Find More Posts by DaveGherardini
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:30 AM
Just One More
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2004
451 Posts
6 Meters? What's the weight, including the saddle?
Skyfish is offline Find More Posts by Skyfish
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:05 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
609 Posts
More info on flying wing airfoils (both swept and planks) here:

http://www.aerodesign.de/english/profile/profile_s.htm
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC