SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:55 AM
Scotland, UK
Joined May 2004
75 Posts
Waiting for parts? How to spend your time...

Hi,

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics to show a few decorative changes I've made to my Aerohawk while I've been waiting on the parts to go seperate after my 3 in 1 board bit the dust.

Hopefully the bright white will make it easier to see when I'm flying it by street light... for some reason the lowest wind conditions always seem to be around twilight!

These are the mods I'll have made to the Aerohawk from stock once everything arrives:

Metal Shaft
Shaft Collar (Like90)
Head Stiffener (Like90)
Adjustable Link Rods (Hopup)
Dual Tail Mount and Mabuci Tail Motors (Like90/allelectric)
Flippit Motor Mount (Like90)
Like90 Main Blades (Like90)
Johnson250 Main Motor (allelectric)
CSM HLG 200 Lightened Head Holding Gyro
GWS 300 ESC for main motor
GWS 100 ESC for tail
Hi Tec Electron 6 Receiver
Azaar Lite micro antenna

Wow... so thats where all my spare cash has been going!!!
Still most of that can go with me when I upgrade to the Zoom in the next year... I hope!
Hope you are all enjoying your flying.

Munter
munter is offline Find More Posts by munter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:07 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
I try and do all the things I neglect while my heli is operational like... pay my bills, wash my car, fix things around the house, and pay more attention to my girlfriend
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:12 AM
Really Cool User
Tampa St Pete, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,870 Posts
Hey Munter I was wondering since I will be getting the same heli as you soon what parts break most often when you crash on the aerohawk? Also is this your first heli and how many times have you crashed it! I'm thinking maybe I should pre-order the parts that break the most since the lhs by me doe snot carry one heli part at all

Overall how do you like the copter? Is it good quality?
Silverstreak328 is offline Find More Posts by Silverstreak328
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:21 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
It's made-to-a-price quality, but is suprisingly durable.

Get tail rotors, landing gears, and a new main motor + tail for spares.
smste2 is offline Find More Posts by smste2
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:24 AM
Really Cool User
Joined Dec 2003
1,870 Posts
Ok I already got extras of what you said. :P I thought I heard the head breaks easily on this heli? No?
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:40 AM
Scotland, UK
Joined May 2004
75 Posts
Hi,

I crash pretty much everytime I fly! However I have only had two or three really bad crashes in the two months I've been flying.
Generally I would say you should have a spare main shaft (go for the steel one), main rotor blades, tail rotor blades, some carbon fibre rods for replacing skids/skid supports, rotor head and tail boom.

Of course the 3 in 1 gyro/mixer/esc board is pretty weak and they fail quite often. If you can it might be an idea to pick up an Aerohawk without the board and go seperates from the begining. I saw one of ebay today for 40 so that would be a good buy.

This is my first heli and I'm having as much fun tinkering with it as I am flying it. It is pretty solid and has resisted alot of crashes. The only really weak part in the design is the lack of shaft collar (get one straight away!) and the 3 in 1 board.

Have fun!
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:42 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
Yup, it's just the head is comprised of alot of different pieces

Best get everything in the head spare!!! =) I've broken a number of head pieces, mainly the linkage balls on the swash and the swashplate itself.

Oh and I loose those ballbearings on the head all the time too, when the blades come off... :P
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:43 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
Mmmm....

get a shaft collar, a head stiffener, and make sure the bird you get has a ball-in-swashplate mod.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:44 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Hey Munter, cool looking heli,

How did you do all the white stuff?

the baldes look really cool.

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Jul 07, 2004, 11:01 AM
Scotland, UK
Joined May 2004
75 Posts
Blades are from Like90, made of balsa with white shrink wrapping and will help you bird fly really well with less wobble and more stability in LIGHT winds. You'll need to upgrade you motor and pinion however as they require a higher headspeed than the stock motor can provide.

The white is achieved using some white acrylic paint with some red tape used for decorative effect. I've since cut off some more of the stock decals and its looking even better... the stock canopy is a bit of a mess visually in my opinion!

Cheers
Old Jul 07, 2004, 11:14 AM
Really Cool User
Joined Dec 2003
1,870 Posts
Munter will the Johnson 250 motor with 10t pinion drive the like90 blades?
Old Jul 08, 2004, 04:00 AM
Scotland, UK
Joined May 2004
75 Posts
Yes if you are using the like90 blades you will need a 10T pinion on the johnson.
Haven't tried an 11 tooth but would be an interesting experiment, not sure you need any more power from the johnson though. In its flipped state it is plenty responsive enough!

M