HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2004, 10:33 PM
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2001
346 Posts
Can you fix a Twist in a Moulded F5B Wing??

Hi Guys, I have just flown my brand new F5B ship and it turns out that some how it has a slight twist in the wing that is making in fly quite aweful. Tip stalling and requireing different trims at different speeds.

My question is, Can it be fixed. It doesnt seem to be a very large twist but it is providing some very unwanted wash out. It is only in the tip of the wing. Centre portion of the wing is fine.

Any Ideas??

Cheers

Shaun
mitc99kd is offline Find More Posts by mitc99kd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2004, 02:11 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
You can try to heat the wing with a heat-gun, then turn the twist out and position the wing for some time like that.

BUT this is a procedure that can ruin the wing as well as it might not help at all! You need enough heat so the changes are permanent but if you heat the wing too much it might collaps. This depends on the materials, for example heating "Herex" up too much once and you can throw the wing away. Balsa is not that critical.

Is it a commercial wing? If it is one don't do anything and try to get a new one instead. If it is self made I would check the molds and if they are not twisted I would build a new one. A repaired wing is second choice anyway and F5B means quite high loads on a light weight wing.

Eike
My Homepage
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse
Old Jul 07, 2004, 03:50 AM
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2001
346 Posts
Thanks Eike, I will leave it for now and see what the manufactuer says.

Kind regards

Shaun
mitc99kd is offline Find More Posts by mitc99kd
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:46 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
This is difficult at best. The first step is to determine where exactly the twist occurs; it's usually not uniform across the entire span. To find out, mount the wing on the fuse and somehow fix the assembly on a work bench such that it cannot move. Now use an incidence meter to measure and record values along the wing in small (10 cm, 4") increments; this should show you where the warp is.
I've had a commercial wing that somehow was warped and found the section where the warp occured as I described above. I then built a jig which clamped the wing straight, and I built a simple card board box around the warped area, which I heated with a hair dryer. I stuck an oven thermometer in there and used a venting flap to keep the temperature at 60C (140F) while the section heated up thorougly.
After the wing had cooled completely, it was straight for a while. But it warped back on a nice warm summer day at the field.
As Eike said, if it's one you bought, see if you can get a new one.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir