Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:31 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Scorpio Models anyone???

Guys

I just visited Scorpio’s home page. http://www.scorpio.it/index.dhtml

Is there any reason why with so many models so few are imported and sold through Hobby Lobby? Looking at the SE-5a and the Albatross I’m really chomping at the bit.

They got decent reviews here on the forum so any idea what “happened” to them?

It seems like some models/companies come and go quickly in this rapidly expanding park flyer hobby. That said I guess if you see something you like BUY IT NOW!

Comments always welcome!

Tommy in NY
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2004, 11:07 PM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
Scorpio models tend to be larger than the planes offered by GWS, Alfa, and FSK. They require larger motors and batteries. They also tend to be heavier making it more difficult to find a decent sized park to fly them in. I just ordered my first Scorpio kit and should have it by Monday.

HL is the exclusive importer for this line. They can probably order the plane you want if they don't have it in stock. It seems as though people aren't giving them the proper attention with the release of the new Alfa and Flying Styro planes.
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff
Old Jul 07, 2004, 12:01 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
I think new creations RC has a large selection of Scorpios including quite a few dropped by HL.

I had the Spitfire and have a NIB Zero.

The spitfire flew quite nicely ...pilot error(s)

Actually the models are very lght. While not as fast, I flew my spit on the same ALFA combos I've used and it was by no means underpowered.

The layout on the spit was bit dated ,but the Zero has a nice top access hatch , batt tray. and reinforced firewall for outrunner mounting.

I'm not familar with the models that you're interested in however.

PsssT ... Hellcats on sale for 89 bucks @ HL
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Jul 07, 2004, 01:05 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
I have their "SUPER MISS" a sweet "FLOATER" thermal's great, but not for a small field I don't think, unless your a good pilot.. Got it at Hobby-Lobby with the power system they recommended..

don't know it that helps, but constructon of the plane is great..

Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Jul 07, 2004, 08:26 AM
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2001
367 Posts
Scorpio Spit is a fine aeroplane and a scale model.This cannot be said for the two Mosquito's that they are producing. I am a bit suprised that they seem to have lost the plot. I am trying to make the larger one more scale over in the 'foamies' forum, it áint easy.........
warbird is offline Find More Posts by warbird
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:41 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Thanks Guys

While the WWI models definitely have perked my interest it was the eventual purchase of the Mosquito I was after.

That is till I read warbirds postings. How could I have missed such obvious inaccuracies!

Like many on some birds it would never have bothered me. However the Mossie is such a wonderful plane to build it any other way would be a crime.

Swampy thanks for the heads up! Here all along I figured if the post didn’t have ALF in the title you wouldn’t click on it!

Seriously thought I was looking at the Hell Raiser model on their site just the other day. That’s when this whole “hey look they still have the scorpios” came from.

Ill most likely pick one or more up. Ill toss them on the pile with the 2 wattage eindeckers, the Kavan DVIII and Albatross, oh and don’t forget the Sig Fokker…. And then there is the DV Fokker DRI……. I think you see where this is going!

All from a guy whom flew a Foam Glider Conversion all 4th of July!

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Tommy in NY
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:44 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
I have a T-6 which is the largest wing span of any of my planes. Its AUW is also at 28oz making it the second heaviest only to my Wattage PT17. I prefer to fly these models at a dedicated field as the require more room than I'm comfortable with at my regular parking lot flying site. I will be down in the valley today and plan to take both of these planes with me to the dedicated flield and do some flying if the winds are not to strong. The Scorpio's are beautiful models and the only bad side I have found is that the foam they use is very soft and dings easily and if moditying to a brushless/Lipoly setup mods must be made and eliminate the batttery box built into the Scorpio planes. Many who fly the Scorpio planes have chosen to glass them to remedy this short coming. I'm am big Alfa fan and chose the Scorpio T-6 as a warbird alternative that has landing gear and not a belly lander. I am considering adding the Hellcat to my squadron as the sale price that Hobby Lobby has is very attractive. Here is a pic of my T-6. Good Luck and HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Jul 07, 2004, 11:13 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
They are ok, but...

I like the size, but they are not as scale as some of the others (especialy FSK). Also, a big ommission is the lack of wing fillet on their models that make my favorite planes look all wrong.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Jul 07, 2004, 02:11 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Spin,

My Spitfire had nice wing fillets ... ?!?!?

hmm...
-SF
Old Jul 07, 2004, 02:34 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
My T-6 does not have wing fillets and was a little difficult to get lined up properly and eliminate any gap to fuselage. I also modified my wing to be removeable which also added to the complexity. Without being able to remove the wing it would be very cumbersome for travel. I also made a removeable cockpit to allow better access to modified battery tray and electronics without having to remove the wing. Wing fillets would be most welcome on this plane as well as a removable cockpit should Scorpio consider design changes in the future.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Jul 07, 2004, 08:06 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Swamp Fox
Spin,

My Spitfire had nice wing fillets ... ?!?!?

hmm...
-SF
Sorry, I only saw a few of them including the FW190 and the AT-6 which look horrible without filets...
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Jul 07, 2004, 08:41 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Spin,

Agreed...

Tahoe,'
The Zero has some of the improvements.( top hatch access)

don't think the Hellcat does... both are 39" ..little better "car planes" though

If a fixed wing is desired ...
AT-6 remaiden estimate ?

-SF
Old Jul 07, 2004, 08:55 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Bummers..... new creations has but one Albatross left..... and it's damaged!

Oh well

<But they still have that sweet Sopwith.... but over 100 clams!>
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:08 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
SF,
Already remaidened her the end of last week. Did not post it as I also got the Alfa "Marie" in and it quickly took the front burner and not much to post about yet. She flew much better this time as when I did the repair I also took out the slightly lopsided Horizontal stabilizer and elevator which may also have contributed to the first flight fiasco. She has more than enough power and with that big wing area floats in pretty well but has preety lengthy runouts but not bad for a 28oz plane. I'm a little concerned about flying in any wind though also with that big wing area and large nose area she most likely will get tossed around. ROG's in about 30' and may even take less with the extra power but I like the more scale like takeoff and didn't want to risk a stall. The plane seems huge to me compared to my other planes and is taking some getting used to. Did no aerobatics and just flew her around in circuits. The ski resort parking lot is somewhat obstructed now as they prepare for the installation of a new chair lift. The normally wide open parking lot now has a landing strip the full length but only about 20" wide. So its like flying at a dedicated site and not much room for error so I have not yet flew the PT17 or T-6 from the resort yet this summer. Only 1 10 minute flight on the T-6 so far but am anxious to get more stick time in on her. She sure looks good from the ground while airborn and you can't see any of the dings. The bright colors and large size make orientation a breeze. Next time up will attempt some rolls and loops and see how she goes.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Last edited by tahoecrest; Jul 07, 2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:18 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Tommy,

Sorry to hear that, get the Camel

Tahoe,

great report !
Sorry if ya already told me ya flew her again

I know what you mean about flying in tight spots ..
"Bush pilot" style of course it's alot more fun if you have a chance to really learn the plane first .heh .

My 42" spit was a nice scale warbird acrobat,I'd reckon the at-6 would be as well.

Continued good luck !

-SF