SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2004, 01:06 PM
Medicine Hat, Canada
Joined May 2003
121 Posts
Any good hobby shops in Atlanta, Georgia?

I will be in Atlanta next week on a business trip and if I get some free time I'd be interested in checking out a couple of good hobby shops in the area. I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone familiar with the Atlanta area.

Thanks

Bill
Wildbill10269 is offline Find More Posts by Wildbill10269
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2004, 03:33 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
There's a little one in Peachtree City that caters somewhat to electric flight, but other than that, just HobbyTown.
I only buy sulivan control linkages, threaded rod, etc., at my "local" HobbyTown. Other than that, everything is mail order.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 06, 2004, 03:38 PM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
There is also Atlanta Hobby where I do a lot of shopping but Cliff is up in Cumming. You could call him and have him give you directions. Other than that there is the Hobbytown on Satellite Blvd in Duluth and I think there is another Hobby Town in Kennesaw.
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:13 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Winder Hobby is a great place, old style, new stuff. Brushless motors (Hacker,Himax,Jeti,Axi,Nippy,PJS) and tons of props an every concievable covering. John and Mark are great guys, and i'd say it is the only shop, on the North side at least, that has consignment and used stuff. Gas, Glow,Electric,Planes,Helis,cars(parts mainly on cars). Well worth the trip.

Atlanta Hobby is just Soooo Cool. The location sets it apart from all others, and Cliff is a great guy. Wings are a specialty. Zagi and Windrider and others. Lots of regular plane kits and arfs, motors(MEGA, Axi, AstroFlight mostly) etc, he just likes flying wings. The only ALL Electric Aircraft hobby store I've ever been to. Don't expect a magazine rack or testors paint racks, but Cool Planes and nice prices.

The HobbyTownUSA on Sattelite really caters to electric flyers more than your average franchised location. David and the guys do a good job walking a tightrope between what is really popular and profitable (cars), and expanding business through carrying what repeat customers want. Airplane area is about the same size as the car section, about 1/4 of the store each.

I've bought just about all my stuff from just these three stores.
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:15 PM
North GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
501 Posts
Can't remember the name of the hobby shop, but there's one just south of the city on I-75. McDonough, I think. The guy's name is Glenn. I know about his shop because he sponsored the indoor fly-ins in McDonough when those were going on.

Cliff (Atlanta Hobby) is great. He's not that far off GA-400 (US 19) just south of Cumming (GA-141). It's something of a drive from the city, though; 45 minutes from the GA-400/I-285 junction if you're lucky, but usually more like an hour+ in traffic.

I've been to the hobby shop in Peachtree City. If you're looking for electric, you'll probably be disappointed. They have a few basics, but not much else . . . or at least that's how it was when I stopped by some time back.

Most Georgia flyers use mail order 99+% of the time. I guess we do our part to keep UPS in business.

Wings
Wings is offline Find More Posts by Wings
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:39 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If Atlanta Hobby was IN Atlanta, I'm sure I'd be there all the time! Great products and service - he had his store @ SEFF, lots of goodies.. but alas.. a long ways off..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:52 PM
Medicine Hat, Canada
Joined May 2003
121 Posts
Thank you all very much for the info. Its great to have some local opinions about the good hobby shops in an area. Beats the heck out of looking in the phone book and making a guess.

Bill
Old Jul 06, 2004, 09:59 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
AtlantaHobby and Winder. Tony is right. Atlantahobby's location is what makes it so unique and a cool place to visit. http://www.sphoa.com

Andy,
Cliff isnt that far. Pack a lunch and have a picnic on the lush green runway while you are there Makes a good Saturday drive and retreat from the norm.
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jul 06, 2004, 10:52 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
The store south of Atlanta is called "The Hobby Shop" The owner is Glen Gladdis, shop phone number is 770 389 0686. He is in Stockbridge.

Cliff at Atlanta Hobby is also first rate. I have not been to Winder Hobby yet, but am wanting to go when I have some $$ to spend.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:19 PM
Medicine Hat, Canada
Joined May 2003
121 Posts
I just got back from Atlanta. I did make it out to Atlanta Hobbies and met Cliff and had a nice chat with him while checking the place out. It wasn't that much of a drive as far as I'm concerned. What a great set-up he has out there (and his neighbours). Many thanks to all those provided the info.

Bill
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:28 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
Be sure to go over to Winder Hobby. They have tons of cool stuff and great prices.
Not open on Sunday or Monday. Closes at 2:30 on Saturday.

www.winderhobby.com
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:38 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill10269
I just got back from Atlanta. I did make it out to Atlanta Hobbies and met Cliff and had a nice chat with him while checking the place out. It wasn't that much of a drive as far as I'm concerned. What a great set-up he has out there (and his neighbours). Many thanks to all those provided the info.

Bill
glad to hear it Bill. Cliff is top notch and beautiful property.
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:11 AM
sharpsburg,ga
Joined Mar 2003
62 Posts
You can try the "Country Coth Shop" located near Sunnyside (I think thats the name) near the Atlanta raceway. It's been a few years, but the had some nice stuff there.
av8n is offline Find More Posts by av8n