HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2002, 02:28 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,023 Posts
Expert 6ch Micro Receiver GLITCH Problems

I just purchased an "Expert Electronics" 6channel, dual conversion micro receiver #650 and put it in my Zagi to the side of the battery cuttout just like I've seen in some of the posts here. I was flying yesterday and experience significant glitching when only about 600 or 700 feet away. I went back in and replaced it with my standard size Hitec receiver, same place, just a bigger hole, and routed the antenna in basically the same place. NO PROBLEMS. I also had aluminum foil around the ESC in both cases.

Any ideas? I was told that this was a full range, dual conversion rec.

Thanks
Jim
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:26 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
I've been using the Expert 650 for a couple of months now and haven't had any problems.

The Expert 650 is a repackaged JR 610M and uses the same single conversion crystals as the JR. Dual conversion receivers are used to eliminate cross-talk between channels which JR's single conversion RX does using a clever engineering design in their patented ABC&W circuit (Anti-Blocking Cross-modulation and Windowing).

I know a lot of people using the 650 and 610M in their planes and gliders without range problems. It sounds like 'your' RX is suspect, but I would suggest trying a different 650 in the same plane before dropping all 650s. A cold solder joint on the antenna, for example, would certainly give you problems.

Anyway, those are my experiences with the 650. I have found them to be a good, inexpensive, very light-weight RX. Your LHS might be able to swap your suspect one for a new one.

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:31 AM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,023 Posts
Thanks Silver,

It's been a disappointment so far. I ordered the Rx and crystal, and when they arrived the crystal was the wrong freq., even though the big red and white label on the package was the correct one. Not the LHS error though, because when I phoned, he looked through his stock and had several mislabelled.

I guess I'll try it again on the bench and see what happens. Like I said, I put my std size hitec in the same spot, same day and it worked great.

I'm using the JR crystal. It fits in two orientations, so I'm guessing there's no polarity to the plug.

Jim
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF