HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2004, 06:37 PM
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Joined May 2004
19 Posts
Where to get Goop in Australia

Hi all,

I am new to sloping and am interested in trying goop to protect my sloper. Does anyone know where to get Goop, Marine Goop or Shoe Goo in Sydney Australia? I cannnot seem to find it anywhere. Also can I use it to cover a finisded plane covered in normal tape?

Thanks
Skygazer is offline Find More Posts by Skygazer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2004, 07:00 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,257 Posts
Its called Shoo Goo and you will find it in any sports store for about $12.00 a tube. You thin it down with Slate & Concrete Sealer Solvent which is about 80% Xylene, which you can get in hardware stores like Bunnings for about $15.00. Thin it down to the consistancy of warm honey or varnish and apply it with a foam brush to avoid brush strokes.

I paint it on my planes over the solartex. You can see the results on my old Electron 54 at http://www.speedfreeks.com. It will also work over the tape, but it may peel off a little easier if you dont rough the tape up first.

Regards,

Waz
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Last edited by alkoo; Jul 05, 2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2004, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2004
19 Posts
I have tried a couple of the shoe repair / key cutter people but they did not sell it anymore. I will try Rebel sports and see if they have it.

Nice build BTW.

thanks
Old Jul 05, 2004, 10:17 PM
Registered Luser
Brisbane, Australia
Joined May 2004
187 Posts
I got a tube of Shoe Goo at Rebel Sports for $12.50 - in QLD but I'm sure NSW stores would stock it.

Jason
JayF is offline Find More Posts by JayF
Old Jul 05, 2004, 10:23 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
I bought a tube the other day for $10 at a shoe repair/engraving/key cutting shop in a shopping centre.

Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Jul 06, 2004, 12:21 AM
Joined May 2004
19 Posts
Thanks. Any idea how much would it take to cover a 48" PC9?
Old Jul 06, 2004, 03:55 AM
Joined May 2004
19 Posts
Thanks I just bought some from Rebel for AUD $10.95
Old Jul 06, 2004, 04:13 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,257 Posts
One tube should do the trick if you concentrate on applying more to the wear & tear areas such as the nose, wingtips etc (ie more coats) and less on the rear section of the plane. Even though it doesnt weigh a lot after drying (which may take up to a couple of weeks to totally cure) it will add up and make your plane tail heavy, so you will have to re-balance the COG.

You can apply more after that if need be. At first it will appear as if you have heaps of runs and beading under the smooth finish, but dont worry, it eventually shrinks down after drying and you can hardly see them. You wont get a perfect "glass" finish with more coats of goop, but if you can put up with minor "ripples" on an otherwise smooth shiny surface, it certainly is the way to go for strength.

Regards,

Waz
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Jul 06, 2004, 10:57 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
It's worth searching for and reading Ian's advice on this forum (user name Daemon) re using thinned goop. It varies depending on the plane but with the Moths and M60s, the best approach seems to be as follows:

Fuse: EPP/1 coat thinned goop/fiber tape (ironing down each strip smooth)/1 coat thinned goop/solartex/1 or 2 coats thinned goop

Wings: EPP/1 coat thinned goop on LE + wingtips/fiber tape on LE + spars + tips/solarfilm (or other similar iron-on film)/1 coat thinned goop on LE + spars + tips

The idea here is that this "composite" method is supposed to be far more durable and tear/impact-resistant than simply building up many layers of thinned goop on EPP.

I just used this method on my Moth and have yet to maiden it but it certainly does seem very tough.

Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Jul 06, 2004, 03:53 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Brad see what Waz said it takes a few weeks to cure fully .Do you think you can hold yourself back from flying it for that long lol
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 06, 2004, 05:36 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,084 Posts
It cures enough to fly in only a day or two. But yes it takes a week or so before it's 100% cured. Thinner coats cure faster which is why the
old 15 coats of Goop technique is no longer preferred.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2004, 06:23 PM
Joined May 2004
19 Posts
Thanks all. I will have to work out the best time to do this as I don't want to miss any good fying time !