HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:44 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
I wire the motors in parellel. I'm only running a 2 cell lipo, this way the full voltage is applied to each motor, getting the most you can out of it. Additionally if a motor fails (open circuit is the mode I've seen the most), just that motors will quit, allowing you to limp back on the other motor.

Here's what it looks like mounted up on the Arado. I've got no problem at all balancing it. I actually had to shift the Tanic 2S1P, 2200maH battery BACK towards the tail of the plane. I measured about 12 amps of static current, this thing moves some serious air...can't wait for tommorow.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2004, 08:24 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
It DOES look pretty mean and scary!!!!! That's alotta watts/lb eh? Did we calculate the "speed of foam"???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:01 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Just got back from the maiden flight.....OH MY GOD!

I preparation for the additional power I trimmed the elevon slots in the stabilizers to allow for about another 3/8" of up deflection. Set the radio's EPA to allow this extra travel. My Tanic 2S1P, 2200maH battery wants to be where the old battery was for proper CG....something you get lucky.

The "big" field was not available, so I used the small field. Basically two baseball fields (one is a smaller little leauge field) outfield to outfield. Trees and houses border the feild. New planes and 1st flights I like the big field, but OK.

Cranked her up, not much noiser than before...gave a gentle toss. The plane pulled out, cocked itself at about a 60 degree up angle and accelerated while climbing. Instead of the old "I think I can, I think I can", the "old" plane would mumble while climbing....this thing was screaming "Get out of my way!!!"

It took me by suprise. The plane was across the field and out over houses in no time, and higher than I've ever flown in this small field. I turned her around and on the return leg I tipped her down for a fly by. The speed, the sound....just awesome. There is some evil buzzing, wind swept roar it makes on a fly by at these speeds. Pulled back on the stick and she just climbed back up into the sky and did her disappearing act again.

This thing is FAST, and I haden't even had a cup of coffee yet. Kind of like trying to ride a bicycle in your living room...you have to be thinking ahead and you have to make a lot of turns. This plane is now a "big field" plane for sure.

I flew big circular circuits running the boarder of the field, doing climbs and dives along the way. I was laughing out loud in utter amazment of what this flying house insulation built plane was doing. Getting a bit dizzy going in circles at this speed tracking this monster.

On the bottom of one dive, I pulled out a bit late. She had stopped diving, slowed and just started to climb up as she flat bottomed the ground. The back of the plane struck first. No damage except the short 4" motor mounting stick with motors popped out. I guess with the extra weight, I need to beef that up a bit.

I'm going to fix that this morning and tonight I'll be over at the big field to punch holes in the sky with this monster. WOW! All this airframe needed was a bit more "go" to it. I'm sure a brushless setup would do this better and with less weight, but hey for about $5 this is an awesome setup.

Jimsky
Last edited by jimsky; Aug 14, 2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:23 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts

Gotta Love it!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 14, 2004, 02:59 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Just got back from running 2 batteries worth of flying the Arado J250 dual at the big feild. I'm still smiling ear to ear. I've never flown so "fast" and so "big" before. This thing just eats up the sky. Buzz, zoom...you're here, you're gone. I was crazy trying to fly this at the small field, it's a now big field plane.

After about 10-12 minutes of wide open, full throttle flying I brought her down for a check. The motors were just warm, you could very comfortably touch your chin to them. The battery felt...cold? I didn't notice any elevated temperature at all. Them Tanics are good batteries.

While it was down I swapped battery packs and went for round two. Just hot dog'in around the sky....what a blast. So I guess this might be a taste of what flying "brushless" is like. I can see how this could get to be habit forming.

Hats off to gpw for this awesome plane.

Jimsky
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:43 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
The Arado was always scary fast for me with the single motor .... that's on two cells ... on three cells its just crazy fast , I can't even imagine the dual setUP.... But Now I just gotta' make one and try this out ...hahahahahahaha Too much FUN!!! and for cheap too ....
Old May 18, 2009, 12:28 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
Hey Glen are the plans for this one still available? I can't seem to find them over at foamfly.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:43 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Getting the plans out , time to revisit this one ...