HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:44 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Glad to hear people are building and using my MicroScream, thanks!

I'm still testing the lost plane finder option. No information is available, I'm still contemplating if I want to make this feature public.

One problem is you DON'T want to install and use it on a plane with a regular old (full analog) receiver. You need to turn off your radio to activate the alarm. My Plantraco DSP4-SC is great, you can turn off the radio and nothing...not a burb or twitch from the planes motor or servos.

The loss of a transmitter signal is what turns on the plane finder alarm. Doing this on non digital signal processing receivers makes them go nuts... issuing crazy commands. Motor burbs; thrashing servos. I don't want to suggest or provide info that will be causing people to damage their planes.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2004, 02:10 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Jimsky,
I hear ya.... however I'd still prefer to find a plane with a thrashed servo rather than no plane at all...

Either way, thanks for the original schematic. I'm looking forward to using it with my non-programmable ESCs, which I have three of.

-Wayno-san
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:07 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
Jsky... It is pretty fast ....and rolls like a drill with large throws ......mine got dorked straight in when I flew over a non compatable radio at the field ....looked like it got punched in the nose ... Hot-glue cured all ills.....can hardly tell now...love those UF's.....
interesting about the LVBA and LPF... Cool !!! You're a TOTAL E-guy eh?engineer???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:34 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
God bless hot glue! I found a new trick. Get a can of "canned air". The ones with the long thin red plastic tube. If you tilt the can horizontal instead of just air, really cold air and frost comes out. Apply hot glue, if it's melting the foam a bit too much "freeze" it in place with the canned air. Kind of like using kicker on CA.

Yeah, I'm "cursed" being an engineer...as my wife puts it. Sometimes it drives her crazy, but when I fixed her nephews XBox that SHE broke, all of a sudden being married to an electrical engineer is not so bad.

I did hardware designs (high voltage power supplies) for 20 years. I've moved up the food chain, and don't do design work anymore. Playing with RC planes and designing supports circuits gives the engineering side of me someting to do.

Jimsky
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:49 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
My Father in Law ...RIP... was an engineer, as are many of my friends.... You guys ARE different ....I recognize the traits...hahahahaha... and God bless Engineers , whom without we'd have no cool RC s**t to play with , or anything else practically ....It's true!!!
Now what about this LVBA...????
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:06 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but...check out my MicroScream thread in the DIY Forum, (over 4000 hits and still counting):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221018

Basically this is an very inexpensive audible alarm that can be installed in planes that have non lipo friendly ESC's. It monitors the battery voltage and when 3.0 volts per cell is reached the alarm starts screaming, telling you to land the plane and swap battery packs.

You can build it yourself, or the guys at like90 are selling built and tested ones. I have a MicroScream in every plane I own, wouldn't dream of flying without one.

My Arado is basically finished. I'll take a few photos tonight and then be heading off to the big field to have another go at it. Playing around with Motorcalc shows a J250 in a B gearbox with a 10X4.7 prop produces over 13 ounces of thrust on a 2 cell lipo pack! I'll be bringing 8X6, 9X7 and 10X4.7 props and see what I like...speed or thrust.

Jimsky
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:41 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
She Flies!!!
Flew the Arado tonight after dinner. I’ve got a J250 in a GWS100 “B” gearbox. I tried a 10X4.7 prop since MotorCalc advised of slower top speed but thrust of over 13 ounces. I figured this would be good to start with.

She flew with a toss but I needed a lot of trim to climb. It was a bit windy (6-8mph) but she flew nice. Did a couple of laps to get the feel. Stable, tracks well, responsive, turns nicely. Got just a bit of glide if you motor off at altitude. Good power heading into the wind. I knew she wasn’t going to be a speed demon with this prop, so I landed and installed the 9X7.

Yikes, she came to life! This motor setup has a different sound than I’m use to. My only other geared “wing” in a puller, the Superfly-E is very quiet in the air. The Arado is much quieter than my direct drive J250 wings, but louder than the SuperFly-E (GWS350, “B” ratio same prop). Actually I liked the sound…kind of “jet-like”.

I blew 2 batteries worth of flying fast circuits around the field. Tad bit weaker on the climbs, but light years faster on the top end. I also noticed she got buffeted by the wind a bit more, but damn I like the speed. Downwind legs were blistering! The 9X7 will be the prop I’m using. I landed once after about 8 minutes of full throttle flying. The J250 was warm, but you could very comfortably hold you finger on the motor. The Etec, 2 cell, 1200maH battery pack (externally, bottom mounted) I wouldn’t even call warm. This is a very nice plane, a blast to fly.

I moved the battery around a bit and got her to glide a bit better, and she was a bit more responsive. Too bad the sun went down otherwise I’d still be out there flying.

Attached are a few photos I took before I went to the field. I’ll probably get more creative, but the red fluorescent tape I picked up at the auto parts store really helps seeing the plane across the field. Most definitely a keeper. This has been a great J250 project, thanks.

Jimsky
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:27 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sounds like it's working great. The B/9x7 must really be unloading in the air. I figured it'd be too much prop. Forget what the static amps were when I tried... Did you measure?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:53 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Static current draw is 6.8 amps (measured with Sears current clamp meter) when tested with a freshly charged Etec, 2 cell, 1200maH battery pack. Some of the difference (when compared to what MotorCalc predicts...something like 9 amps) might be the long wiring needed in this airframe's design. I know my ESC is not a problem, I added a 2nd IR7413 FET to my Plantraco DSP4-SC, it's now good for 20 amps!

Even if you use 6C as the maximum discharge rate for this battery (but 7.5C is often used), that gives you 7.2 amps of capacity...and we all know the prop is going to unload in the air. Pretty close to the magic "5 amp" number J250 are said to live forever at. Like I said neither the motor nor the battery pack was excessively hot.

David of SuperFly turned me onto this gearing and prop setup. The SuperFly-E comes witha GWS350 "B" ratio and a 8X6 prop. David advised if you want to crank up the fun, try a 9X7 prop. This ratio/prop is not even listed on the GWS website, but it sure works. Since it worked so well on my SuperFly I figured I'd give it a try.

Jimsky
Old Jul 09, 2004, 10:09 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sounds good. I guess it's just like my favorite IPS-A prop, a 10x8... Gives enough speed to be able to throttle back, so actual flight times and motor life are still decent.

Good info, I'll have to give it a try on one of the slicker airframes I do. Iwas going to try an 11x4.7 on the Mini IFO, that I'm running a DCM-189/C/10x4.7/2sET1200 on. It could always use a tad more thrust It runs real cool now.

I do like running a 9x4.7/C/3sET700 with the DCM-189 on my GeeBlu and BirdDog. Works very well.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:07 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
OK! I'll "Fess UP"

If you really want ridiculous speed , try 3 cells .... too fast really !!! Who knows what the amp draw is , who cares?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 07:58 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Got the CG dead on and the plane all trimmed up. She flies dead stable with hands off the sticks now. Very predictable. Had a great time flying before dinner. Felt so comfortable I was really in the clouds today, and well outside the boundaries of the field I fly in. This plane is easy to ID from a far.

A large bird (couldn't identify) decided to fly with me. It hung around for about 4 minutes, high up there tracking my moves. I'll be the first to admit, the bird was the better pilot. 4 batteries went through the plane way too fast. Stuka dives, rolls (no loops yet), fly bys, and glide down from altitude...it was all fun. Again battery or motor were nothing more than warm. Rockin' little Bluecor plane.

Jimsky
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:52 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
It's Very gratifying to hear how much FUN you're having with the Arado!!!!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:31 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I wonder how it'd fly with a direct j250 and 4x4 prop? Or, 4x3 prop. I have numerous j250's...fly one in the Scram Blur. I've made a flat plate for wing with
the uni fuze....but I may do the tail fins ala stealth fighter.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:02 PM
Joined Jul 2004
18 Posts
Scale drawing

Is there some place where the plans for the Arado Projekt can be downloaded that are to scale. I print them off of FoamFly, but all I get is a "not to scale" printout. Is there an AutoCAD or other drawing packing file available.

Thanks.
dorrell is offline Find More Posts by dorrell