HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2004, 11:02 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Bluecor "Arado Projekt" Build Thread

I thought I’d start a build thread on the Bluecor Arado Projekt that I’m working on. This is a Bluecor project that uses the Universal Fuselage (from the FoamFly website), it's a sturdy 3 dimensional fuse that several other plane builds have been based upon. The plane does have a fuse, but to me it’s very similar to a flying wing. Elevon control with two static stabilizing rudders are used, control wise it’s very similar to the SuperFly variation of Delta Wings.

What I liked about the Arado Projekt is it was originally designed for a gearbox power plant. A J250 motor in a “black” GWS 100 gearbox. The original gearing was a “C” ratio swinging a 1070 prop. It appears this plane has been successfully flown with a J250 direct drive with a 4X4 prop. I’ll be trying a “B” ratio and a 9X7 prop. Lots of possibilities here, I like the geared drive due to its quieter operation.

The plans for the “Universal Fuselage" can be gotten on the 1st page of the following link, the actual plans for the Arado Projekt can be downloaded on the second page of the same link:

http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Universal_Fuselage

There is one past build thread that does have various information:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=Arado+projekt

I’ve got the universal fuse built, but I’ve left the top open to install the flight electronics. I also cut the rest of the foam. Components will be as follows:

Motor - J250
Gearing - GWS 100 gearbox, B ratio
Prop - GWS 9X7
Battery - Etec, 2 cell, 1200maH, Dean Ultra connector
Receiver/ESC - Plantraco DSP4-SC, Litenna installed
Servos – Hitec HS55’s

Below are a few photos of where I am in the build. As things move along I’ll post some updates.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Last edited by jimsky; Jul 05, 2004 at 09:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2004, 02:22 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Jimsky, Looks real good! I like the plentiful wing area. I hope we get to see more soon.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jul 05, 2004, 03:40 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,509 Posts
Curious to see how it would do in DD config. I remember this plane from way back, it is a nice project.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Jul 05, 2004, 06:40 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,975 Posts
Jsky, you're gonna' love the way it flys.... like a jet ...Fast , large manuvers, smooth , but rolls like a drill....keep it light....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 05, 2004, 10:18 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
GPW,
Thanks for the design. I'm trying to building light; using hot glue sparingly, Gorilla Glue everywhere else. I'm not covering the foam, and I'm using a combination receiver/ESC to save weight.

I split the nose area in two inside the fuse section with a horizontal peice of foam. I'm loading everything in the nose: servos, receiver/ESC on top of the nose plate, battery will mount inside the fuse Velcro'ed to the bottom of the nose plate.

Question about the geared drive: how was the speed and noise compared to the direct drive version? I've got a 27" Frenzee wing powered by a J250 swinging a 4X4 prop. It's damn fast, but the buzz you can hear a quarter mile away. I typically fly in large fields surrounded by residential areas, I can't really fly my Frenzee in the morning, it's really too loud and anoying.

I know geared drives are typically quieter, but I was reading in the Flying Wings Forum that the characteristic loud noise of a "pusher" styled wing has to do with the turbelent air coming off the wing surface and striking the prop. Any comments on the comparitive speed AND noise of the direct drive and gear driven versions?

Jimsky
Old Jul 05, 2004, 03:09 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Spent a bit more time on this build. Got the elevons cut and installed using Blenderm tape. The top of the elevons are the only part I covered, yellow lightweight packing tape. I also got the stabilizers installed. I rounded off all the leading edges of the wing and stabilizers: top and bottom 45 degree cuts with an Exacto knife, then round them over with sandpaper. The wing LE's I then covered with 1/2 inch strapping tape, to provide a bit of strenght and a nice smooth aerodynamic surface, instead of the square cut rough foam.

A carbon rod wing spar has been installed to stiffen up the wing. The motor is all mounted up. The wing has been glued to the fuse using Gorilla Glue. Very lightweight and it expands to fill in any gaps...I really like this stuff.

Below are a few more pictures...more to come, I should be getting my flight gear later this week.

Jimsky
Old Jul 06, 2004, 07:36 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,975 Posts
jsky... Looking Good!!!! You can add the top of the UF once you get the pushrods installed (I use .032 wire in coffee stir straws taped together...running from the nose to Hippohorns on the elevons)... then you can make a hatch(in the top) with the foam canopy attached to it as a retainer...
Ps , I know this goes against esthetics , but I always put my batteries on the outside of the plane (Velcro) for two reasons ....
Cooling , it's summer here ...95+, batteries get really hot when you start out at almost 100....
When you crash (and we all crash) the battery will disconnect from the Fuselage taking its weight , inertia, and the tendency to ripp off the front of the fuselage with it ....Saved many , many planes in the past ...

The gear drives have a little noise , but none of the irritating BUZZ of small high speed props resonating on big foam soundboards(I make guitars too)....more like the sound of flying sewing machines.....The Ar is fast with the C drive and the 10/6 prop , schmaybe not as fast as DD , but way fast enough for a semi scale jet design ...looks good , flys good , in the air...I guess it's going at least 40 mph ....or better
Last edited by gpw; Jul 06, 2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:06 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
I'll be using the Dubro 0.032" parkflyer pushrod system, it should work nicely. I'll be mounting the servos in the nose. The receiver/ESC will be located futher back, to keep the motor wires short.

I hear you about external batteries, all my wings have external batteries mounted on the top deck. I was just concerned about mounting the batteries externally on the bottom of the fuse with no protection. I'd basically be landing a plane on the lipo battery pack...that just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I was thinking about doing external mounting on the top of the fuse, but it seems that would be a lot of weight rather high up. I'm afraid this would tend to cause the plane to roll about it's axis. Comments?

Jimsky
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:23 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'd just try to figure out a 'blow out hatch' for when the inevitable happens, or put some protective foam in front of the pack. I'd put some cool looking intake slots for air, to cool the pack and motor, and make sure there's an area for an exit.

Maybe if you put the pack on an 'ejection ramp' towards the front, and held the lid on with magnets....
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 07, 2004, 12:17 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Got the servos mounted and Dubro pushrods installed. I just taped the rest in place to check the balance...no problem. The Etec 2 cell, 1200maH battery is several inches from the front, I've got lots to play with to trim the balance.

I elected to loose the bottom hatch to mount the battery. External mounting sounds more appealing. It appears mounting the battery on top of the fuse is an option. The plane doesn't seem to roll on it's axis at all with the battery top mounted. I like the protection provide, don't like the idea of landing on a lipo battery.

Tommorow I'll be doing my typical mods to the Plantraco DSP4-SC combination receiver/esc:

1) Install a Litenna.
2) Install a second IR7413 FET to the speed control circuit, this yields a 20 amp ESC capability.
3) Remove the crystal socket and solder the crystal to the printed circuit board.
4) Solder beefy battery wires with a Deans Ultra connector.
5) Solder the motor wires right to the ESC.

I doubt I'll get it finished tomorrow, but I should be flying this sometime this week.

Jimsky
Old Jul 07, 2004, 07:29 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,975 Posts
Jsky... not to worry!!! We've been flying the bottom mounted battery packs for 30 years, with no problems.... when we fly off a hard surface we use landing gear... off grass we land as usual with no damage to the packs , including the new lipos for two years .....actually we've done more damage to the batteries by over discharging and bad charging , than any landing ever did... Really , we've never even scraped a shrink wrap on grass......if you're really paranoid , just put a little strip of FFF as long and wide as the battery onto the bottom shrinkwrap with double sided tape(not double sided foam tape)...
Ps. we do put a very small dia. bamboo skewer across the fuse to hold a rubber band as insurance for the batt. ,that may also help the landing thingie'...
Old Jul 07, 2004, 05:59 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Dec 2003
87 Posts
GPW, that is an awesome plane. A buddy of mine has almost completed the "Insulator" that's on another string here, but I believe I'm going to build the Arado first. Would really look great painted up with historical colors and all.
Buster Brown is offline Find More Posts by Buster Brown
Old Jul 08, 2004, 07:57 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,975 Posts
Go light on the paint ... with the military colors (that cover well) it usually takes a light misting with the airbrush to color the FFF... keep it light , BUT keep it visible , mine was pretty fast and would eat UP the length of the field pretty quickly .... I could have reduced the throttle , but where's the Fun in that .... with a jet .....(replica)
Old Jul 08, 2004, 08:47 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Well I just couldn't wait and got a chance to the 1st flight last night. I wasn't really finished installing my MicroScream2, a low voltage battery alarm & plane finder; so I only taped the top of the Universal Fuse in place. After all I'm not going to crash on the maiden flight, right? (Strike 1)

I used an 8X6 prop, just to keep it tame. Balance was fine. My Flash 5X is "filled" so I used the model setting I normally fly my SuperFly-E with. I went to the smaller field last night, it's closer. (Strike 2)

Cranked up the throttle and gave it a toss, off she went. Needed some trim to climb. Very quickly I realized the agressive throws and the little EXPO I fly my SuperFly-E with was getting me in trouble fast. I was flying like a drunk sailor, over correcting all the way. Down to the end end of the field pretty quick. Got her to climb in route, made a banking left turn and started the return leg. Wobbly and fast...watch out! Lets just get this back and on the ground in one peice.

She really started to pick up speed and altitude. Before I knew it she was zipping along the boarder of this small field up at tree line. I turned her back towards the center of the field but hit a tree in the process.

There she was, about 40 feet in the air. A couple of kids were whacking golf balls nearby. 5 bucks got one kid to climb the tree. He tossed the plane out of the tree, down it came in a nose dive...right onto a paved walking path. (Strike 3)

Crunched nose, I'm sure if the top plate of the fuse was glued in place all would have been fine. Hey, I got the plane back...I was happy.

One servo was stripped and broke free from it's mounting. A bit of folded foam in the nose section. I regeared the servo, repaired the foam and re-mounted it. I ran all the wires needed for the battery alarm & plane finder last night. Tonight I'll glue on the top cover, and finish what needs to be done through a top access hatch later, since I'm still waiting for parts to build the MicroScream2.

If I had a free model setting on my radio, I would have cranked down the EPA and increased the EXPO for the maiden flight...my fault. I'm sure that would have tamed things down considerably.

I'm hoping to fly again Friday night...at the big field, with adjustments made to the EPA and EXPO settings (I just bought a 2nd radio). And I'll bring along a 9X7 prop for fun, after I get the hang of this plane. Can't wait, should be a blast.

Jimsky
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:14 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Looks great Jimsky, sorry about the crash. I had a similar one last week where my TOG F16 flew into a tree and a branch went half way through the wing. It held onto the plane really well and the tree was not climable in work clothing. I eventually did get it out but not without the patented nose-into-the-cement manouver.

WRT the microscream2, is that something you have schematics out for? I have schematics for your microscream and I ordered up parts from Digikey last week. Haven't started building yet though. Won't mind having a lost plane alarm to boot if the component count in similar...

Thanks!,
Wayno-san
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san