Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 04, 2004, 07:02 AM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Pico (GWS) J3 F

Looking for some input on the Pico J3F Cub. I'm flying a TM now and can pretty much put it where I want it, and shoot touch and goes all day.

Is the J3F as good a platform as the TM...just want somthing different, and I've had little luck flying Ailerons...e.g. Fantastics AT6 and my own Ercoupe.

Still learning at 62.
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2004, 07:48 AM
What...me worry?
Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
227 Posts
Dennis,

IMHO the Cub is a more versitile platform than the TM. Almost as nice a flyer built stock, but really comes alive with a few modifications. Most people have found that for outdoor flying you need to decrease the wing incidence by a couple of degrees. I certainly did on mine. I find the Dual IPS the ideal power plant, giving authoritative power to haul around skis in the winter and floats in the summer.
rookie-wingman is offline Find More Posts by rookie-wingman
Old Jul 04, 2004, 08:43 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
I've built two of these and they're fabulous for flying in small areas. Built box-stock, it's a docile, easy-flying airplane. A really cheap upgrade is to toss the stock 10X4.7 prop and replace it with a GWS 9X6 prop. You get a big improvement in climb performance, and she'll cruise at half throttle or less.

On the whole, a much under-rated and under-appreciated model.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Jul 04, 2004, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Hey Rookie-WingMan,

Are those the GWS floats or your own creation?

Great looking plane!
Nick
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
Old Jul 04, 2004, 01:07 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
They look like ones from FoamFloats.com I love mine!
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Jul 04, 2004, 09:42 PM
What...me worry?
Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
227 Posts
Yep... FoamFloats.com 16 inchers, and they're great. I got the GWS floats for my E-Starter and if I had it to do over again, I would get the FF.com floats for the E-Starter as well. The FF floats are much lighter and perform better. I will say however that the GWS floats are heck for stout with plastic hulls that will shrug off hits from floating debris that will dent the FF floats. (Trust me, I know from experience.)
Old Jul 05, 2004, 06:52 AM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Float hi-jack..

Guys, I'm looking for input on the Pico J3F, float info is appreciated, but not the reason I started this thread.
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Jul 05, 2004, 05:59 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
J3

I agree with what the first poster said. It is a fun airplane with just a few simple mods. Definently change the incidence in the wing just a little, wash the tips out with a heat gun and balance it way forward of the advertised CG. I've only flown mine with the stock IPS-A, but I figure the twin IPS would be about perfect!

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jul 05, 2004, 06:11 PM
West Chicago,IL
Joined Oct 2003
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie-wingman
Dennis,

Most people have found that for outdoor flying you need to decrease the wing incidence by a couple of degrees. I certainly did on mine.

I have a new J3 too, with the stock IPS motor............I'm removing it to install an EPS 100"B" 4.43 gear ratio.........I know alot of people don't like this set up. I'm ganna give it a go! and I'll post my results later once I maiden it ofcourse

Hey rookie-wingman
how exactly did you decrease the wing incidence on your J3???? any detail pix??

Thanx
bboydeezturb is offline Find More Posts by bboydeezturb
Old Jul 07, 2004, 08:37 AM
What...me worry?
Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
227 Posts
bboydeezturb,

I just started adding shims under the trailing edge until it flew right. Started with a matchbook cover and ended up with about 1/8" thickness of foam CA'd to the back of the wing saddle. The right way to do it would be to reshape the wing saddle, but I"m lazy.
Old Jul 07, 2004, 10:04 AM
Electric flying marvels!
Gresham, Oregon, United States
Joined May 2004
74 Posts
My j3f was given to me by my brothers neighbor. We went flying one time and he said i could "have his old j3 if I can get fix it" so i did. The J3 is one of the most enjoyable flyersi own. Before i recently put floats on it, I would fly it in moderate winds having loads of fun. minutes to fly it upwind , seconds to fly downwind! Loads of fun just using the prop Balsa hound recommended (9x6) and the stock ips motor. Now it has a eps 300c "B" ratio and GWS floats on it. Its alot heavier than wingmans now and i havent tried any aerobatics since the float/ motor upgrade.
Also when it was stock I had loads of fun doing touch and goes. I did have problems with the crummy plastic spoke wheels bending over and breaking ( i also had problems with some replacement dubro plastic spoke wheels breaking) The J3 didnt mind! As long at i had one good wheel for prop clearance It would still ROG into the wind scraping along on its wheel axle! ONE wheel touch and goes are way fun ( ear to ear grin)
skullneck is offline Find More Posts by skullneck
Old Jul 07, 2004, 12:56 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
I re-learned to fly two and a half years ago with a GWS cub. Best $45 I ever spent. I finally retired it this winter after I split the horizontal stab from the fuse crashing into ice, but it taught me to fly (and repair), and flew very well on everything from IPS and 6x150 nicads to EPS100 and 3s lithium (with clipped wings also). I still keep it in the basement in case I get the urge to put servos back in and fly 'er. BTW, everybody's dea on target about reducing the wing incidence--very important for best flying characteristics. FWIW, some of my best flying memories are of flying it "pylon style" about 1' up around some cones I set up in a parking lot on a calm summer evening.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Jul 07, 2004, 02:54 PM
SW PA
Joined Apr 2004
110 Posts
Which Gear Ratio Dual did you use. Looks great! I'm thinking about changing a couple of planes over to dual....one is a TM with floats but don't know which one to get. Thanks
Mothman is offline Find More Posts by Mothman
Old Jul 07, 2004, 05:41 PM
Virginia
Joined Dec 2002
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman
Which Gear Ratio Dual did you use. Looks great! I'm thinking about changing a couple of planes over to dual....one is a TM with floats but don't know which one to get. Thanks
I've flown the Cub extensively on the IPS Twin with A gearing, 2s Lipo's, and a 10x8 prop. A great combo.

I changed the wing incidence by gluing 1/8" balsa shims at the back of the wing saddle.
NoVaNewB is offline Find More Posts by NoVaNewB
Old Jul 07, 2004, 09:38 PM
What...me worry?
Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
227 Posts
I've used the #1 gearing with both 9x7 and 10x4.7 with great results. Right now I'm using the A gearing with a GWS 11x8 prop. I went to this setup when I added the floats because of the ST generated by this combo. Hauls the floats around effortlessly, and climb rate is ridiculously un-scale.

Here are some results of a series of tests I ran on the A and #1 drives using a 2S1P Kokam 1500 Lipo. Results with a 2S1P 860 TP were similar.

GWS DX#1 Sig 8.5x8
4.4A - 5.0oz ST

GWS DX#1 GWS 9x7
4.4A - 5.4oz ST

GWS DX#1 GWS 10x4.7
4.7A - 6.7oz ST

GWS DXA GWS 10x8
3.6A - 6.1oz ST

GWS DXA GWS 11x8
4.1A - 7.8oz ST