HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2004, 06:31 PM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
How to build a good looking pager motor plane!

To address a certain thread with a similar name I thought that this might now be an appropriate time to start a thread like this. We'll limit it to pager motor plane contruction ,hints and plans.Also let's add a twist.....Semi scale,profile or full it doesn't matter. Soooo...bring em' on guys!!

Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2004, 04:21 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Greg,

To answer your question I would say : Just carefully read this forum !

May be we could put it in a slightly different way and only concentrate on "best" hints, "easiest" or "most effective" solutions, etc... ? Of course, all that depend on your own skills and might differ from one modeler to another.

Jean-Michel.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Old Jul 04, 2004, 05:26 AM
Kiwi's Can Fly's Son
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2003
156 Posts
Find a nice plane that is to be made from paper ie: Fiddler's Green planes, cut it out as if you were going to make it from paper, but instead trace it onto 2mm wallfoam, paint on all the markings while it's still on the flat sheet, when done, cut the peices out and assemble the plane. et voila:

Tim.
TimayTheToolman is offline Find More Posts by TimayTheToolman
Old Jul 04, 2004, 05:46 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Tim,

I like this method (I have to try it one day). You can print all the markings on a tissue paper and glue it on the foam. There are plenty of planes' descriptions made in a such way in this forum.

<<when done, cut the peices out and assemble the plane. et voila:>>

That is another story : You have to find proper balancing, proper motor and prop, proper gear, achieve a low wing loading and a good flight time. Then, trim the plane, et voila !

You have a nice model anyway. What is the weight of the airframe ?

Jean-Michel.
http://www.jmquetin.com
Last edited by jmquetin; Jul 04, 2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2004, 10:10 AM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Micro planes that look like planes are reserved for indoor heros and should not be attempted by normal folks !
Also the indoor 3D fuselage builders are tall and handsome, stylish, whitty ..........

3D planes have DRAG which takes a little more power. They are goign to ahve smaller rudders and finsss if they are to look scale'ish. You have to put all the control parts inside which creates trouble. Its godda have some paint on it
But when its all done and the dam thing finally flies its a great buzz, no need for cocane
http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
Old Jul 04, 2004, 02:09 PM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
342 Posts
Maybe this is some food for thought ...

Why do some people prefer wall-foam and some other others balsa? What are the benefits of the one against the other, and what does that mean for a 'pager-motor-plane'?

I prefer balsa, because it still is light and seems to have some more strength compared to foam. Also, for me, it is more easy to work with .... I can easily make a frame, cover it with thin sheet balsa (1mm or less) and sand it to get a nice curvature ...

Short, what is the best 'building' material?

Johan
nanoflite is offline Find More Posts by nanoflite
Old Jul 04, 2004, 02:44 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
Tjena Johan

Look here to see why some of us use foam:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118362

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jul 04, 2004, 05:43 PM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
<<Short, what is the best 'building' material?>>

I think the best material is the material you feel the most comfortable with to build a given model.

J.M.
Old Jul 04, 2004, 05:54 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
Each material has it's strong and weak characteristics. The "best" material depends on the application. I use various kinds of foam and balsa, carbon fiber rods and tubes cloth and tape. I am just beginning to learn about the small stuff, but it is a very interesting aspect of modeling.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 04, 2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2004, 06:09 PM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
I use a variety of materials. But for quickness of build i use foam.(durovent from homedepot) For lightness(that being a relative term) 1/16 balsa and reynolds wrap is hard ta beat! Of course there's always carbon fiber(rods and such). To echo...it all depends on what you are comfortable with.
PAGER MOTOR PLANE-A plane whose locomotion is achieved by the means of a pager motor.(Webster-Greg )

Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc