Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2004, 06:12 PM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
Guys - please report in your findings with the 400DH. We are in not in business for the money - that's for sure. I think Hugh and I are pulling in a few bucks an hour. We want you to be happy with your purchase. I unfortunately know nothing about Heli's and Hugh is somewhat upset that he can not perform the tests on Heli's that he has on planes. So we're looking to you guys to make a fair assessment of the motors.

If anyone thinks we are not selling the motor we advertised and is unhappy with their purchase - we will refund you full price minus shipping ! Please contact Hugh Mason (SciGuy@rochester.rr.com) to schedule the return.

Vinnie and Hugh
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Old Jul 10, 2004, 07:47 PM
Looking up a steep curve
West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2004
37 Posts
Vinnie and Hugh,

Both of you guys have been perfectly straight up. I am very happy with my purchase and plan on keeping the motor. Thank you for the return offer but, it has been my expereince that the only way to learn is to try differnt options.

Having made a first pass at the 400DH and the Himax 2015-2800, I can tell you that the 2800 is a dog for 3D when using a 9 tooth pinion and 3S pack. There is no surprise there with the low head speed. I should be able to test the 2015-4100 with an 8 tooth pinion this evening on a TP 3S 1320 Gen1 pack. I am crossing my fingers. Once I have a couple of choices, I will go back and shoot head speed and do a better job with current consumption.
lolachampcar is offline Find More Posts by lolachampcar
Old Jul 10, 2004, 07:57 PM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
John,

Out test pilot just got back to me on the throttle curve he uses for 3-D with the 400DH. I hope this means more to you than it does to me

"My curve for 3D is 100, 75, 65, 75, 100"

He has promised to do additional testing including more duration tests in the near future. His regular job flying a corporate Falcon Jet just keeps getting in the way.

Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
Old Jul 10, 2004, 08:35 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Hugh; by all means let us know how the duration testing goes. I for one want a motor that allows me cruising & maybe mild but not 3D aerobatics, with enhanced duration from the BL efficiency. I don't want to pull more amps than the brushed 400, just use it better...
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:50 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , emailed you yesterday , but no answer about my order .
misskimo@otz.net

Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:09 AM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
Domain trouble

Misskimo, I emailed you.

I've been having some trouble with the domain. Sorry about the downed web site - you can also access it directly through:
http://justgofly.rchomepage.com/

I've posted some pictures of the 400DH. No Heli vids though - maybe I need to sweeten the deal. Let me talk to Hugh to see what we can provide for a Heli vid. We have pinions on order, so when they come in I'd like to toss in a pinion to sweeten the pot. Please show how you mounted the motor in the vid - if you decide to send one (close up on motor). Thanks much, and enjoy flying. Today is a great day to fly - so I'll be out there in a bit.

I saw some spectacular Heli flying last weekend in Putnam Valley NY. I think it will be a few years before I have the skills to fly anything with more than forward, left and right. I have mastered straight down though

Vinnie
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:36 PM
Victim of Gravity
Cary, NC
Joined Sep 2001
814 Posts
Can somebody provide me with all the specs for this motor? It sounds like it ought to be added to "the spreadsheet." In particular, I'd need Io, Rm, and weight. I've already got the kV - 3500 RPM/V.

KC
K.C. is offline Find More Posts by K.C.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:39 PM
Joined Jun 2004
22 Posts
I'm trying so hard to get my hands on this motor. Yet it seem imposible, I emailed people who sell it in san diego but no response. Don't know what to do past this point. How did everon els get it.
dapmc is offline Find More Posts by dapmc
Last edited by dapmc; Jul 11, 2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:19 AM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapmc
I'm trying so hard to get my hands on this motor. Yet it seem imposible, I emailed people who sell it in san diego but no response. Don't know what to do past this point. How did everon els get it.
Here is their order page
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:06 AM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
This motor performance information is more secret than most of the Air Focre projects I worked on.
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:12 AM
South OC
Joined May 2003
78 Posts
My initial impressions are excellent! I am kind of a newbie but after 10 minutes of hovering (technically it was hovering) my 400DH was 95 degrees measured at the bottom of the chrome case pointed up into the windings. Even cooler on the side of the chrome case. The 1320 TP Lipo was 135 degrees. This is measured with an Exergen temp gun. I know my Himax at helf of this run time was burning hot as was the Lipo. Just my $.02.
ronvdp is offline Find More Posts by ronvdp
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:56 AM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Not really a complaint, just a "heads up"...

Do not attempt to shorten the motor wires on these motors unless you really like frustration!! The motor leads are multi strands of enameled wire (likely brought out directly from the stator winds) and covered in colored heat shrink. If you cut the wires, you must strip the insulation from all of the individual strands before you can twist and re-tin the wires.

Zip-Strip, Acetone, and mineral spirits would not cut the insulation. A pencil torch left crud on the wires that still needed to be scraped.
OmegaDot is offline Find More Posts by OmegaDot
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:12 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Follow up to above post...

Does anyone know what head speed their 400DH pulls with 9t pinion, full throttle on 3-cell, +7 deg pitch, stock blades? Amps at same?

Mine is bogging to 1800 RPM and ~11 amps (but the blades bend up a fair bit).

With linear thottle (matching EVA to CC P25 fixed throttle range) and pitch curves (+/- 7 deg), the rest of the numbers (with heli tied down) are:
0% 0 RPM (doh!)
25% Who cares... it's ramping up
50% 2000 RPM
75% 2400 RPM
100% 1800 RPM

Hover power looks to be about 65-70%.

I kind of expected faster at 100% and 7 deg, I hope I got all my windings reconnected.
OmegaDot is offline Find More Posts by OmegaDot
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:08 PM
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
454 Posts
Would you recommend this motor over the himaxx 2025-4100? I'd like to hear from people with direct experience with these 2 motors.

Thanks
Shaun
sprice50 is offline Find More Posts by sprice50