SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2004, 09:21 PM
Blythewood, SC USA
Joined Mar 2000
123 Posts
Converting a Top-Flite Giant Scale P-51 ARF

What a gorgeous and thorough airplane! For the money, there is no better value out there. Some thought went into this one!

I've got a C50 14xl and 22x14 that should deliver enough oomph. We're not talking 3D here, but 70W/lb should do nicely. Will be topping the scales at over 19lbs with retracts and 30 GP3300 cells, but once I can order some LiPo's, it will be nice enough.

Don't really have any questions, but once I can acquire the digital camera from the Mrs., I'll start snapping some pictures of the construction. If anyone has any comments, they are of course welcome.

Some specs from the manufacturer:
Wingspan: 84.5" (2146mm)
Wing Area: 1245 sq in (80.3 sq dm)
Weight: 17.5 - 19 lb (7.9 - 8.6 kg)
Wing Loading: 32 - 35 oz/sq ft (98 - 107 g/sq dm)

I suspect the 19lb is with the HEAVY gasser.
[Propwash] is offline Find More Posts by [Propwash]
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2004, 11:46 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
How does this model compare with the H9 P-51. Aeromodels converted one and had it at SEFF. Very nice performing model.

H9 P-51

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 03, 2004, 03:30 AM
Blythewood, SC USA
Joined Mar 2000
123 Posts
Yeah, I've happened to get some glimpses of the H9 "pony". While I like it a lot, the extra touches that Top-Flite went through on this one seems to pull it ahead of the game, such as including a cockpit kit and easy directions on mounting the, in my opinion, NECESSARY Robart gear. I like what Sean did with the hatch. That's just beautiful. I debated over getting the non-covered version, thinking it might offer me the opportunity to do some lightening and more easily make the same types of modifications as Sean, but in the end, I didn't feel like it would be as satisfying of a conversion. Would've been a pretty plane, though, as I wouldn't be using the "traditional" military scheme.

Of note, however, as has been mentioned before, the spinner is absolute junk. While it looks nice, the reports of the screws coming out and disintegration are not very promising. I'm still waiting to here what Great Planes and Top-Flite plan to do about it.

Also, some may argue that the H9 might be a better value because the retracts are included, and while they work, I've never been a big fan of mechanical retracts. Ultimately, this is why I wanted to go with the Top-Flite. Of course, wouldn't it be the case that I'm rethinking that after seeing how good Sean's bird looks...
[Propwash] is offline Find More Posts by [Propwash]
Last edited by [Propwash]; Jul 03, 2004 at 03:48 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2004, 04:44 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Can you post photos?

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin