HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2004, 08:20 AM
I have Rotary Addiction!
Kentucky
Joined May 2004
80 Posts
CP Hummer vs. FP Hummer???

Hey guys,

I have found that I do not like the performance of micro helis or at least my FP HB V2 and they also seem to be way to tweaky. Can someone tell me how much better CP hummer would be over the FP???

If I cannot come to some kinda conclusion on this I will be selling my Hummingbird V2 in order to purchase a LMH corona or JR voyager e.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
gbison is offline Find More Posts by gbison
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2004, 09:04 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
can you define "tweaky" gbison ? A well setup hummer should fly very nicely..it could be something simple that can turn your hummer into something you'll enjoy flying.

however in answer to your question, a well setup CP will be much better than an FP, mainly due to the higher headspeed, hence increased stability. but a CP is much much harder to setup than a FP so if you have trouble with one, you'll most likely have trouble with the other.

disclaimer : i don't have a CP hummer or any CP for that matter...i'm just going on what i've heard and been lead to believe
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 02, 2004, 12:48 PM
Lost in Kuwait
Marysville, Ca
Joined Oct 2003
217 Posts
ok standard stock HB needs modification for a good flyer, the blades create way too much lift at low head speeds, so it's going to be unstable, and almost unbearable to fly, many replacement parts out there to remedy that problem, like90 has some nice wood blades. also the HB FP has hiller mixing I think it is, in other words all the input to the main rotor blades comes from the paddles, which makes the 'bird a little lethargic in response. the HB CP has Bell-Hiller mixing, which a little of the input to the blades comes from the paddles, as well as a little comes from the swash plate, that makes the bird quite a bit more responsive. Like Ozzie said though, a well set up 'bird should fly fairly nicely, especially in hover, but of course it won't be as stable as a larger heli. though it is cheaper to fix a HB than a gasser.
Arorr is offline Find More Posts by Arorr
Old Jul 02, 2004, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2004
109 Posts
The main problem with stock HBvII IMO is tail authority.
The very first mod I made to mine, was a Gail Tail, which is now available through www.like90.com (which is an excellent place to do business).

The second mod to consider would be to get a HHS set of blades and consider a different motor than the stock one. The higher headspeed increases stability, most HHS blades are quite a bit stiffer than the original plastic ones and with a head stiffener will greatly reduce pitch up effect.

And finally, balance is very important on these sensitive little guys. If you are getting wobble in your hover, look to balance and align the mail blades and that your CG is correct enough to trim on the radio.

One last tip, stay out of the wind with this thing.
omayhemo is offline Find More Posts by omayhemo
Last edited by omayhemo; Jul 02, 2004 at 12:58 PM.