HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2001, 01:49 AM
San diego, CA
Joined May 2001
44 Posts
Crash and burn - need help :)

Just finished my Terry and took it out for my first flight. I got it up in the air, but was confused with the way it flew. Unfortuntely, it came down 3 different times in a "not-so-suttle" manner I fly gas planes (that use ailerons), so I haven't had to rely completely on the rudder. This is more tough that I imagined. I figured since I new how to fly gas, a sailplane would be a breeze - WRONG

Is there a trick to flying these things? I noticed that it doesn't bank when turning, like I'm use to with ailerons. It seems VERY slow to turn.

Any help or suggestions to better my flying would be greatly appreciated. Although I've crashed a few, I've fallen in love with this electric plane.

Thanks for your help!
Gary
garyc is offline Find More Posts by garyc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2001, 03:27 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
I have a Terry, and most of us that have one report that it flies like a dream - very smooth.
My Terry turns very quickly. Have you checked your throws to make sure you are getting enough movement? All the basic stuff that would apply to an electric as well as a gas plane.
All else I can say is to check your CG on it if it isn't flying right. There must be some reason it is acting strange because this is a very smooth little plane.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 25, 2001, 04:38 AM
San diego, CA
Joined May 2001
44 Posts
It was a "tad" nose heavy, but I made the proper adjustments. I'm probably just not use to using rudder only... I should get the hang of it.

One more question, are you launching it at 1/2, 3/4, or full throttle? I tried all, but it seems to better when I give it more throttle.

Again, Shawn, thanks for your help!

Gary
Old May 25, 2001, 05:09 AM
San diego, CA
Joined May 2001
44 Posts
I lied, this is my last question...

I'm trying to fly it on a softball field + a few extra acres (seems large enough). Should this be sufficient space to fly it? I'm told it can be a pretty slow flyer, but is it slow enough for this size flying area?

Thanks,
Gary
Old May 25, 2001, 10:07 PM
San diego, CA
Joined May 2001
44 Posts
Nevermind...
I went out today and had several very successful flights. Just tooks some getting use to
Old May 26, 2001, 03:17 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Is there a 'One Man Thread Award'?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 28, 2001, 11:05 PM
San diego, CA
Joined May 2001
44 Posts
I'm sure posting a lot on my own thread I started. Oh well! I'm answering a lot of my questions whenever I type it out and really sit down and think about what I'm doing wrong.

Glad to say...I've had over 12 successfull flights in a row
Old Jun 04, 2001, 08:40 AM
Novara ,ITALY
Joined Sep 1999
522 Posts
If you're answering (correctly) your own questions, that means that you're learning from your mistakes, which is the most beautiful thing! You can be proud of it!

Usually people learn from 2 axis then pass to 3. If you do the opposite you can find yourself disappointed... it's normal.

I'd check if dihedral is enough.
Even though you probably have already discovered it, I'll tell you: with rudder only, the sensitivity depends much on speed. At low speeds you must move that stick pitilessly, and hold it until satisfied. Last, move the stick smoothly and slowly, otherwise the aircraft will suffer of "pendulum" effect. I hope it helps!
Giacomo is offline Find More Posts by Giacomo