HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2002, 09:58 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,086 Posts
Templets for foam cutting

Ok, I'm up and running with foam cutter. Still practicing. Experimented with different mat'ls for templets but seems the best is thin formica. Went to local custom cabinet shop and bought scraps cheap. He can supply me for life! Question: Trying to figure best way to cut them from formica. Don't have a scroll saw and scoring and breaking isn't easy with curved parts. So far, I've scored and broke, then used dremel to get them close to the same for both sides of foam block. Appreciate any other ideas. Thanks.
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2002, 11:46 AM
Florida
Joined Oct 2001
178 Posts
I've used lite ply with much success. Maybe you can cut the thin formica with some sort of shears?
Rick
rsieminski is offline Find More Posts by rsieminski
Old Jan 19, 2002, 12:28 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Band saw

I'll bet you could get the cabinet shop guys to either let you use their band saw, or have them cut the parts for cheap as well.

Mark the sheets to be cut, and drop by their shop, I'd bring a plane (or a wing) along, and show them what your doing.

You'd be suprised what kind of help you can get!
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Jan 19, 2002, 12:49 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
I use old printing press plates , they cut with a good pair of sissors and most printers will almost pay you to take them away. I can make a complete set (8 temps) in 20 min.

Earl
Duke58 is online now Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Jan 19, 2002, 01:18 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
Formica is the best in my opinion. Cut to rough shape using a hacksaw or coping saw and then finish with wet or dry.

Ply tends to grap the hot wire and is not very durable.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Jan 19, 2002, 01:19 PM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
450 Posts
I tape the template to the formica (spray backside with 3M), cover with clear tape and use a jig-saw with fine blade to cut out on formica. It makes a nice smooth cut that can be polished with sand paper.
Randy G is offline Find More Posts by Randy G
Old Jan 20, 2002, 05:38 AM
Lancashire England
Joined Oct 2001
58 Posts
templates for foam cutting

I cut my templates from formica using a fret-saw. I find that it's best to cut just above the profile and file down to the line, finishing off with fine sand paper.
I then temporarily stick the upper and lower templates back to back whilst I drill through both, for screw holes which will ensure that the templates register when used in cutting the upper then the lower surfaces.
Alan
Alan Carr is offline Find More Posts by Alan Carr
Old Jan 20, 2002, 10:18 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,086 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the printing plates too. Scissors will cut this formica but don't know how many pair I'll go thru. It's pretty tough stuff. You can score and break it but that leads to more sanding. So far, I'm cutting with scissors and then clamping together and rough sanding with Dremel and finally finishing up with 400w/d paper. Gets it quite smooth and cores looked good yesterday. Tried the lite ply but it does tend to grab and burn if you hesitate at all. Again, thanks for the input. Technique is coming along and getting easier all the time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2002, 11:20 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
Good to see you try out various bits of advice and then make your own mind up.

One tip if you do wan to use ply templates is to rub candle wax onto the surface the wire will glide over. This melts with the heat of the wire and lubricates it and reduces the grabbing and burning.

Formica is still better though.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Jan 20, 2002, 11:39 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,086 Posts
Dave, good idea with the candle wax. I'll try that. Probably wouldn't hurt to use candle wax on formica too, right? Might keep from catching those little snags that you missed with the sandpaper. Thanks again. John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2002, 02:16 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
You might try a rotozip to cut your formica. The bit will leave the edges pretty smooth which will leave you less sanding in the end.Works great for me! Dave
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old Jan 20, 2002, 02:53 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
I've used thin soft aluminum, cut to rough size with snips, then finished off with dremel and sanding drum. use wet sand paper to polish the edges, never hangs up, and can tolerate higher heat (like used on blue foam).
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jan 20, 2002, 07:53 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Re: Templets for foam cutting

Quote:
Originally posted by J Morgan
Went to local custom cabinet shop and bought scraps cheap. He can supply me for life! Question: Trying to figure best way to cut them from formica. Don't have a scroll saw and scoring and breaking isn't easy with curved parts.
Lots of great advice here. I quite agree that Formica is the single best material for wing templates, and I say that as someone who cuts hundreds of cores each year. One suggestion: Cutting Formica is a bit of a pain. Home Depot and Lowe's both have Ryobi variable speed scrollsaws for about $75. This is one of the single handiest tools you can own. Not only does it make short work of wing templates, picture yourself cutting out perfect intricate ply formers, servo mounts etc. with your very own scrollsaw.

About half the money I've spent in this hobby has been for tools and other stuff that never leaves the ground. It pays for itself many times over.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:51 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,086 Posts
Thanks Jim, I'll keep my eye out for one. The nearest Home Depot or Lowe's is 140 miles away so don't get there often. Actually, I have one in a storage facility 1250 miles away but that's another story. Just cut some more templets out of formica, sanded thoroughly, and used candle wax. They worked really good. Help on the EZone is great, isn't it!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2002, 12:24 AM
Boulder Municipal, Colorado, United States
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Ply covered with foil tape

I still prefer formica, but before I got a bandsaw, I used templates that I cut it out of 1/4" masonite, then put a layer of foil tape (the kind that HVAC guys use to tape airducts) over it. Make sure the foil is slightly wider than the masonite, stick it to the top of the masonite first, then roll the sides of the foil over the edge of the masonite. The foil is resistant to the hot wire heat, and if you do a good job applying it, the edge of the template will be super smooth.
iflyelectric is offline Find More Posts by iflyelectric