HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:39 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Alfa MIG 15 Build

Okay, guys. You all know that I am a huge fan of Alfas. Love all their models. Really. But.......

This is the best designed and worst engineered plane I've built in some time. Not as bad as the GWS PT-17, but close. Maybe I was spoiled by the "normal" alfa build. Followed the directions as close as the very loose translations would allow, and neither servo will function as built. Gonna have to do it all over, completely abondoning the plans. Hope it flys well, as I really looked forward to this plane. I'll save details on the build until a few others (better builders) chime in. Thats in case I'm full of crap and just did it all wrong.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2004, 01:21 PM
Hollister, CA
Joined Sep 2003
457 Posts
***Warning*** ***Warning***

***WARNING**** Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!

Sarge,
You may want to change your password/check your system for viruses. It appears that someone has used YOUR id to post something negative about an Alfa plane.

hehe, seriously, I am waiting for the bugs to be better understood on this one before I plunk down $160. This is obvioulsy a WAY more complicated build than other Alfa builds, and the instructions are no more complete. Wait till you try to figure out at what angle to install the wings....

Chris
akeyzoo is offline Find More Posts by akeyzoo
Old Jul 01, 2004, 04:23 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Already installed the wings. I used the angle supplied by the 5 minute epoxy.

It is more complicated than other Alfa builds. It probably is not complicated for the average modeler. I don't enjoy the build part of our hobby, and this one is so different, in both detail and procedure, than other Alfas, that I had problems with it. My real problem is that the directions are neither complete nor accurate (nor necessarily in English), and they do not, when followed, produce a working model.

All will be forgiven when I fly the thing, and it ACTS like an Alfa.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Jul 01, 2004, 04:41 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
have you built their TA-183 Huckebein? that wasnt a fun build, but wasnt horrible to me. i did cheat and have a friend help me with the wings on the second time around. first time, one side came off on a powered dive pull out.
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Jul 01, 2004, 04:55 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Sarge,

What problem did you have with the servos mounting? I have not started my build yet. To busy with other stuff. The elevator servo is mounted in a hard spot to get out but should work OK... The aileron servo with the angles the wire come together in the servo arm looks like a binding twisting thing. Did you bend the wires or something?

Yup. they need to do better with an English version of the manual thats for sure....

Jim G
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Jul 01, 2004, 08:17 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Hey guys,

Yup the thing can be a pain to assemble, but it's a great flyer !
good luck with the maiden(s)

--SF
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Jul 01, 2004, 08:19 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
I looked at the other MiG thread, and it looked much more "fiddly" than other Alfa stuff. My P-47 looks like cake by comparison.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:44 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
here's a vid o'my second test flight ,after a flamed jeti esc nearly destroyed the model on maiden
http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/500...est_flight.WMV
oOps on landing..no damage

_SF
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:50 PM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
Nice flying there SF. Any tips on the build up?
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff
Old Jul 02, 2004, 01:20 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
lol,

not much of a builder here... I did lay a piece of .75 oz glass Under the wing joiner , and aileron servo plate .a little thinned pro-bond along the seam inside the fuse. Layed up the wings on 1.5 mm blocks and pinned...they came out good while checking measurements all around while the epoxy set up .Any gaps got a little pro bond fill. Wish I had the UHU.Hear it works nicely. One h-stab is a little off,but ya can't tell while flying .

-G'luck all!
-SF
Old Jul 03, 2004, 05:49 PM
Joined Mar 2003
385 Posts
Swamp fox you are costing me money.Saw your FW 190 video and had to have one,love her to bits.Only 2s li po with a brushless but quite fast enough for me,though 3s is tempting me more and more.Wanted the Mig 15 but was put off by the poor instructions / hard build storys.Watched your Mig video tonight and I just have to have one of those.Whats your power set up and any further tips on the build ? Best regards ,Al.
Al Dente is offline Find More Posts by Al Dente
Old Jul 03, 2004, 06:05 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
wooo! maidened my Mig15 today! only got 3 flights with her though. smoked the motor (a MP Jet 25/26 mk1) but man, while it flew, it FLEW and fast in 12-15mph winds! (flight speeds guesstimates range from 30mph to 70mph by spectators).

bench testing shows a steady 12amps, not sure what it was like inflight. I'm going to drop a Himax 2025 5300 in there.
Old Jul 04, 2004, 05:10 AM
Go for it
Hässelby, Sweden
Joined Jun 2003
401 Posts
Sarge, I can agree on the aileron linkage. It's very tricky to get it to work
correctly. I had to move the servo mounting twice untill I was happy with it.

Here's how I did it:

Make sure you mount the servo so that the servo arm comes
as close as possible to the fanducting. This ensures that the bend on
the controllrods is kept to a minimum.

Use the inner holes on the aileronhorns making the controllrod travel as small as possible.
This because the more servoarm must travel the more it will need to bend the
controllrod in the fuselage.

And lubricate with a thin oil.

/Terje
teli88 is offline Find More Posts by teli88
Old Jul 04, 2004, 07:01 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Al,
I use the rec. power /mpj mkII 3s1500 tanic/cc25
It's not hard ,just takes a little patience. (I'm no builder ,and mine flies great)

Quote:
Make sure you mount the servo so that the servo arm comes
as close as possible to the fanducting. This ensures that the bend on
the controllrods is kept to a minimum.
Yup, I redid mine yesterday,MUCH better now!

Synwpn,
Congrats on your maiden , ( sorry 'bout your motor )

Quote:
I'm going to drop a Himax 2025 5300 in there.
Let us know how that works out,I have one of those...

g'luck all!
-SF
Old Jul 04, 2004, 07:27 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
Thanks SF, motors is fine though. turns out the motor casing-plastic - melted! i spooled up the motor fine out of the fan.

I took the old ducting and used the housing from my Huckebein (powered by a EDF55) and cobbled it together. WOW. BIG difference. Takes off on 50% throttle. Does blistering flyby if I'm not afraid to open it up.

254 watts, 25 amps. forgot to run the tach up in there though. I think the 2025-5300 is too much. the 4200 should be just about right I think. I'm awaiting my 2025-4200 back from MPI and I'll use it in there. I guess until then, I'll have to survive with the 5300 in there.