HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2004, 08:49 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Grass sticking to mower deck.

Grass keeps sticking and clumping up in my mower deck (Craftsman, 6hp, self-propelled, 22", mulch blade, closed mulching deck). I pulled the blade last night to get it sharpened and pulled layers of dried, matted grass from inside the deck. Pretty bad - it's choking the mower every few passes.

Any suggestions out there? Is there any teflon-type spray to treat the inside of the deck with?
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Jul 01, 2004, 09:07 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
If your blade is sharp (and it's a correct "mulching" type blade), and the mulching panels are in the proper place on the lawn mower, the about the only two reasons to get severe clumping is either the grass is way too long and you're trying to cut too much at once, or the grass is simply too wet.

Grass being too wet is usually the problem but cutting grass too deep is like trying to stuff 3 pounds of meat into a small Cuisinart trying to make some hamburger. It's just going to get all mucky and gooey because there isn't enough room for the proper mixing (or mulching) "action".

Or maybe it's the wrong brand of lawnmower. It's wasn't made by....... COMMUNISTS!!!... was it? WAS IT???

Sorry, I just had to stay in character according to what other's in the "group" assume.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jul 01, 2004, 10:16 AM
AerialCamsByDoug@aol.com
Detroit MI
Joined Jul 2003
550 Posts
It'll make a MAJOR difference if you clean the deck (down to the paint) and wax it. Even Armor-All helps. Cut often if you're mulching, and do it when the grass is dry. And yes, a sharp blade is the most important part of the equation.
ZRX Doug is offline Find More Posts by ZRX Doug
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:37 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Also clean under the deck regularly, especially when mulching. I clean mine every 3rd or 4th mowing.

Check out what the professionals say:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+sticking+deck
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Last edited by fprintf; Jul 01, 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:54 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
There's some stuff called Mo-Deck that is for just that purpose. You clean your deck really well and spray it with the Mo-Deck and it helps prevent grass from sticking, and makes it much easier to clean.

Mo-Deck
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Last edited by BrunswickOH; Jul 01, 2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:56 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,564 Posts
What everyone else has said. Also, I have a Simplicity Broadmoor with a 44" deck on it, and I was having clumping problems as well. I cleanwd the deck, waxed it, and also put on Gator blades. All of these have combined to give an outstanding cut, with minimal clumping, and much finer mulch.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:10 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
I'm in the ultra rich growth environment of the Mississippi delta.

I use a mulching mower and have found that you need to sharpen both parts of the blade. The tips as well as the part that is lower and closer to the hub. With the mulching mower, I'm mowing every 4 days, BUT it's a whole lot easier to do it 2 times a week than once if I let it get longer. You might also try setting the wheels up higher a bit... or if the grass is getting pretty long, set it up high, then make another pass with the wheels set low.

One side effect since I started using the mulching mower last year.... The lawn grows back MUCH thicker, requiring the increase in frequency when mowing... But it's worth it, looks GREAT.

Good luck!

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:28 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Keeping the blade sharp, a quick under-deck rinse after mowing and a good liberal coating of Armor-all seems to be doing the trick.
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:42 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
One alternative that no one else has mentioned...stop cutting you lawn (no clumping or sticking problems) like my neighbors are wont to do on occasion.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:00 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I find it deplorable that previous administrations spent billions on getting a few men onto the moon.

The money could have been better spent on genetically engineering a grass that grows to 3/4" height and stops at that.

That way, far more Americans could have a great view to look at than those few astronauts.
D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:06 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Didn't you hear, Dereck, that that whole moon landing thing was debunked as a fake?

Next we'll hear that grass really isn't a plant, but a colony of very slow-moving alien lifeforms, and our mowers are committing mass murder every time we do the lawn.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Jul 17, 2004, 09:36 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
If they 'are' alien invaders, I'm fighting a losing battle... anyone have a laser-rifle-mower I can borrow? I'm sure there must be some secret arm of NASA or the federal gov't working on one.. Sign me up for beta testing!

dstout... glad to hear you've got things under control!

For me.... I'm off to mow... AGAIN
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks