Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:02 PM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
What is the Digikey part number for the 56khz sensor? Also anyone have a
drawing for a led modulator thats not pic based?
Tnx
joe price is offline Find More Posts by joe price
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:10 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
PNA4614M00YB-ND
PNA4614M00XD-ND

They are 56,9kHz. See page 977.

I don't know of a non-PIC based driver, sorry.

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Dec 31, 2002, 05:00 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
has anyone thought of modifing a gameboy ir output as a transmitter you can write gameboy programs in c , compile them and send the program through the puter. The gameboy also has a serial input and could accomodate a modfified analog joystick.
I have used this serial interface for connecting computer keyboard and typing on the screen of gameboy.
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Last edited by billystiltner; Dec 31, 2002 at 05:04 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 07:26 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
to modulate the leds you could just use a 555 timer or similar oscillator to produce the 40 odd khz signal and switch this on and off with a fet driven from the buddy lead?

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Dec 31, 2002, 07:30 PM
Joined Nov 2002
67 Posts
DIY Infra-red ?

Joe,

Check out:

http://www.elmelectronics.com/index.html

Under home devices, IR remote control chip.
I know nothing about them or their stuff. I stumbled onto their chip while searching IR . While their chip is PIC based I believe. You use a regular Sony remote for the Xmiter or any remote if I'm reading the Data sheet right. 3 channels no programming, which I think is the core of your question.

Richard
spudnuty is offline Find More Posts by spudnuty
Old Jan 02, 2003, 07:59 PM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
In the USA the Vishay IR receivers and IR leds
can be had from Mouser(sp) receivers for both 38 and 40 khz are in stock.
A option for those wanting to try IR with servos
could use PIC decoder chip removed from Alpex
receivers. BTW Bob Sealman used to sell them as a upgrade he may still have some. I've ordered some
parts to experiment with.
joe price is offline Find More Posts by joe price
Old Jan 03, 2003, 06:30 AM
Oulu/Finland
Joined Jan 2003
22 Posts
Hi,

Here is one pic of our IR project if someone is interested.
The Tx and Rx are fully ZTron compatible. The idea is that the normal radio gear Rx(FM or AM) is connected to the IR TX which converts the channel information(servo outputs) into IR signal. That way we can use all mixing functions etc. from our radio gear and the IR TX can be left alone somewhere on the flying zone.

And yes, if you need one I can make it for you!

Cheers,
janne
Vaattari is offline Find More Posts by Vaattari
Old Jan 03, 2003, 06:40 AM
Oulu/Finland
Joined Jan 2003
22 Posts
Sorry, the pic seems to be lost... Trying again..
Old Jan 03, 2003, 06:54 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Vaattari - I believe that i have seen that on Tysons site.

It is very intersting

How much would it cost to get one of these made?

Thanks

Josh Levine
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Jan 03, 2003, 07:09 AM
Oulu/Finland
Joined Jan 2003
22 Posts
- complete TX (ISP1) converter and instructions, no IR modules included, but build instructions and component list for TX IR modules are included, 40EUR

- IR TX D.I.Y. set (PCB, programmed uC soldered, buffer chip soldered, instructions, no passive components or connectors, no case), 22EUR

- TX IR module (1pcs for living room flying. 3 is enough for basketball field/hall), 10EUR/pcs

Cheers,
janne
Old Jan 03, 2003, 09:17 AM
Was that my 15 minutes?
Leicester. UK
Joined Jan 2002
117 Posts
Janne,

I think this solution is adaptable for multiple plane use.

The Ztron system has an additional pulse at the start of the signal that is not used. (This and the fact that it uses wider pulses than a radio system is why you need to decode it in a different way to a radio signal).

If you divide this start pulse into say 4 widths then you could use it to identify one plane from another.

If your tx unit could then take the signals from say 4 standard receivers and then re-transmit them in IR sequentially with different width start pulses you should be able to produce a solution that will control up to four planes simultaneously. Each flier would use a standard transmitter on a different frequency.

The system would now respond 4 times slower. This could be partially overcome by adopting a faster frame rate. Koichis and Jochens work show that a 20ms radio frame (as opposed to 40ms Ztron frame) is OK. In any case would the slower frame rate really be an issue?

Anyway just a thought.

Regards,

Andy
Andy Birkett is offline Find More Posts by Andy Birkett
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:15 PM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
Jochen, Michael,

Don't waste your money buying the special 'dalo' ink etch resist pens.
I haven't bought a resist pen for prototype work for years! Its almost impossible to get a sharp line out of them, and sometimes they flood! very annoying.
Permanent markers like Artline and Sharpie work MUCH better IF etching time is kept short. Long etching times(15+mins) will slowly lift small area's of the permanent marker etch resist, the board will still come out okay('dalo' quality ), but the finish isn't as good as it could be with a quick etch.

For fine PCB work, use a permanent marker with a fine tip, like the Artline 250 which has a 0.4mm tip. These pens can be bought at Art supply stores. If Artline is not available in Germany, try a few different brands on a scrap peice of board. Just write a number with each different pen, and note which number is which pen on paper, then etch... some numbers will get eaten, some won't.

Etching time must be as short as possible. I no longer use FerricChloride etchant because it stains(board,hands,clothes,tables ... everything) and takes far too long. I only use Ammonium Persulphate now, and etching is done in 2 to 3 mins, I've also noticed that this etchant doesn't lift the etch resist.

Some of my boards done with the Artline pens and Ammonium Persulphate can almost look like my photoresist boards!

I look forward to seeing some professional looking boards soon!

Simon

BTW, I think Andy is correct. Using different modulation frequencies, other than 38khz, will not allow more than one plane to fly at any one time. You will just get clashing pulses. The only way to do this is to use different wavelength LED's/detectors.

You could get tricky and get anyone wanting to fly, to plug their transmitters, via buddy lead, into a central IR transmitter 'hub' that has CDM or TDM.....
Rx's would need to be programmed with individual codes for the CDM though.
WOW! what a project!
Who's game? LOL

oops, I just noticed that Andy's post above just described a CDM system
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Last edited by MrBungle; Jan 03, 2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 03:53 PM
Was that my 15 minutes?
Leicester. UK
Joined Jan 2002
117 Posts
Another multiple plane idea.....

Again you've got to use a varying size start pulse to identify one plane from the other.

Fit each transmitter with a receiver. Before each transmitter transmits it 'listens' and waits for the completion of the frame with the previous identifier. i.e tx 2 transmits after tx 1 etc.

To get the systems started you need to adopt a back-off technique such as "I've seen no one tx yet I'll have a go", "oh what I received isn't what I transmitted there must have been a collision. I'll back off a while and try again if I don't see anyone transmit for a while"

All we need is more 48hour days...

Andy
Andy Birkett is offline Find More Posts by Andy Birkett
Old Jan 04, 2003, 07:03 AM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
I've been following this thread with great interest...

If anyone is interested I have produced a tutorial on making pcb's using the transparency method, email me if you would like a copy...

As for the IR project, I have attempted to "make" a workable system too.......fraught with probs,

Having thought about it, I think perhaps for my needs, an IR interface runnig from the ppm output of the encoder on a tx is probably the best way.........but I'm somewhat stumped for the receiver at the moment.......is there any info/circuits around for systems of this nature....I keep seeing in posts about various bits of info, but when looking I just draw a blank

Anyhelp would be greatfully appreciated.....

regards Chip
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie