Closed Thread
Old Jun 30, 2004, 05:02 PM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
The Modern Little Red Hen by Ronald Reagan

The Modern Little Red Hen

By Ronald Reagan

Once upon a time there was a little red hen who scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered some grains of wheat.
She called her neighbors and said, “If we plant this wheat we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?”
“Not I”, said the cow.
“Not I”, said the duck.
“Not I”, said the pig.
“Not I”, said the goose.
“Then I will”, said the little red hen and she did.

The wheat grew tall and rippened into golden grain.
“Who will help me reap my wheat?’, asked the little red hen.
“Not I”, said the duck.
“Out of my classification”, said the pig.
“I’d lose my seniority”, said the cow.
“I’d lose my unemployment compensation”, said the goose.
“Then I will”, said the little red hen, and she did.

At last it came time to bake the bread. “Who will help me bake bread?”, asked the little red hen. “Oh that would be overtime for me.”, said the cow.
“I’d lose my welfare benefits.”, said the duck.
“I’m a dropout and never learned how.”, said the pig.
“Well, if I’m to be the only helper that’s discrimination.” said the goose.
“Then I will .” said the little red hen.

She baked five loaves and held them up for her neighbors to see. They all wanted some. And in fact demanded a share. But the little red hen said “No. I can eat the five loaves myself.”
“Excess profits!” cried the cow.
“Capitalist leech!”, screamed the duck.
“I demand equal rights!”, yelled the goose.
And the pig just grunted.

And they painted “Unfair” picket signs and marched round and round the little red hen shouting obscenities.

When the government agent came he said to the little red hen, “You must not be greedy.”
“But I earned the bread!” said the little red hen.
“Exactly!” said the agent, “That’s the wonderful free enterprise system. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants, but under our modern government regulations the productive workers must divide their product with the idle.”

And they lived happily ever after. Including the little red hen. Who smiled and clucked, “I am grateful, I am grateful.” But her neighbors wondered why she never again baked anymore bread. I guess a lot of us have been wondering something like that.
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
Old Jun 30, 2004, 05:33 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Time went by. One day the Government told the little red hen they had fired the agent who told her she could not keep the fruits of her work, as he was a disgruntled right winger who vastly exaggerated the amount the government would take. The little red hen learned she could keep most of what she made. So the little red hen went on to bake many loaves and began selling them to neighboring farms.

She became very rich and purchased her farms and all the farms nearby. All the farm animals in sight worked for her.

The other farm animals saw her success. They had learned not to be greedy and lazy or work the system. They wanted to be entrepreneurs as the hen had done. They couldn’t bake bread, as the little red hen now had a local monopoly (the little red hen had bought off the Justice Department).

The duck asked, “may I work a little less, for less pay, so I have time to start a business?”
“Get back to work or you’re fired. Your hours will increase 50%” said the little red hen.

“May I move to a place where I can sell bread?” asked the pig.
“What, and let my cost go up while I train your replacement? If you open anywhere I’ll shut you down by dumping,” said the little red hen.

“I’m now old and sick and have no health benefits or retirement plan. Can you help?” asked the cow.
“Tough and not my problem” said the little red hen.

When the goose heard this he tried to form a political party tochange the laws so the little red hen could not abuse everyone. He’s still trying.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Jun 30, 2004, 07:29 PM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Here's something to consider Greg - The average American in 2003 had to work 193 days out of the year just to meet all the costs imposed by government (4.5 more days than in 2002). The cost of government consumes nearly 53 percent of national income.

Despite your disdain for the free enterprise system, it should be recognized that there has never been a better means of commerce in the history of the world. Exactly what kind of system are you in favor of?

I would simply suggest to the goose in your story to start his own business. That's one of the beauties of the free enterprise system. In America if you aren't being treated fairly, you have the freedom and opportunity to make a better life for you and your family. Unfortunately most prefer to sit and complain rather than get up and build a future for themselves. They choose to ignore one of America's greatest benefits.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:30 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,689 Posts
Gensis,
Why would anyone want to believe the truth when they receive the redistribution of the wealth by believing something else.

What so many fail to see is that the rich do redistribute the wealth by hiring and buying, by spending and building, and by financing other endeavours of those who have a dream.

People who desire take a risk can usually make a living because roughly 20% of the population would rather buy something other than a particular brand of anything. That is a whale of a market.

But why would a grasshopper want to work if the "gubernment" will simply take away to winter storage of the ant and give it to them.

At every angle you look, it appears to be stealing to everyone who works, but redistribution of wealth to those who think they have a right to everybody else's pocketbook.

Envy, greed, and laziness create the cause for which redistribution is sought.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:31 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisCreation
Despite your disdain for the free enterprise system
I never said that. I own my own business and resemble the little red hen in your first chapter.

Quote:
Exactly what kind of system are you in favor of?
The one we've got now. What I'm not in favor of is sweeping generalizations and implying that everybody who doesn't think like Reagan is a lazy freeloader, an unemployment recipient, a union sandbagger or dolt.

Quote:
Unfortunately most prefer to sit and complain rather than get up and build a future for themselves. They choose to ignore one of America's greatest benefits.
Untrue blanket condemnation, unsupportable by demographic statistics.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:56 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Only 1.6% of government expenditures go directly to AFDC (More commonly known as "Welfare") Even with all the after school programs, foodstamps, headstart programs, and every other "Free ride" that the Government provides to those Americans living under the poverty line, we are still only talking about less that ten percent of the federal budget.

Hardly a mass distribution of wealth.

Here's a neat fact. The maximum tax rate bracket during WWII was in excess of 85%. Last year the top 13,000 wealthiest Americans paid an average of only 11% in federal income tax.

My heart bleads for them, while I pay my 27%. Boo Hoo.

The only possible legitimate complaint about federaly funded social services is that social services are arguably not the purvue of the Federal Government according to the Constitution.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:36 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
The only possible legitimate complaint about federaly funded social services is that social services are arguably not the purvue of the Federal Government according to the Constitution.
... I'm so proud I could cry.

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:41 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
.....social services are arguably not the purvue of the Federal Government according to the Constitution.
The Supreme Court has ruled differently.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jul 01, 2004, 07:31 AM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Unfortunately most prefer to sit and complain rather than get up and build a future for themselves. They choose to ignore one of America's greatest benefits.

Untrue blanket condemnation, unsupportable by demographic statistics.
That statement was directed at those who think the govenment is the answer to everything. In other words those that think the government should provide the serivices of father, mother, food, clothing, education, health care and many other various things. Rather than taking the intiative to make their lives better on their own. That statement was not meant to be a description of all Americans.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 07:35 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
The Supreme Court has ruled differently.
only after being threatened by FDR .... which of course set the stage for the slippery slope that has led to the utter ignorance of the Constitution by both parties.

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Last edited by logan5; Jul 01, 2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Here's a neat fact. The maximum tax rate bracket during WWII was in excess of 85%. Last year the top 13,000 wealthiest Americans paid an average of only 11% in federal income tax.
So are you saying they should go back to 85%??

I don't believe in that... I don't believe in the graduated system. It is discrimination based on wealth... and I know many will say "but they don't need all that money"... SO WHAT. It's not what they need.. it's THEIR money, they can do with it as they want... the government has no right to take more from them because 'they don't need all of it'. That's a BS excuse.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Old Jul 01, 2004, 09:04 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
If you want to go into tax policy you need to really consider sales taxes, property taxes, state taxes, Social Security (really a tax since it by definition is not ever spent on the person who contributes) and so on.

By any reasonable definition, the tax system in the U.S. is massively unfair and regressive. The wealthy (those making say over $200,000 per year) pay a lower portion of their incomes in taxes than lower brackets. Percentage of income paid is the acid test of fairness, and our system fails spectacularly.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
The 'wealthy' pay a lesser percent because of shelters and loopholes.... they have enough money to get out of paying loads of stuff...

That's why I think a flat tax, no exemptions would be a much better and more fair system... you know, A. How much income do you have. B. Multiply amount in A by x %... you owe this much.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Old Jul 01, 2004, 10:09 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; May 07, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:01 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Gerald, I hesitate to reply to you because in our modeling discussions you are the master and I am the humble student.

However...please consider the implications of your tax proposal. It would have the impact of making the less wealthy pay more than they do now and the very rich even richer. Fairness aside, my own take on history is that societies that foster a ruling class are deposed in a revolution at some point. I.e. too much regressive taxation is bad policy.

The U.S. Congress knows this and is a marvel of duplicity. They literally have it both ways. They pass progressive tax legislation then create loopholes, exemtpitions etc. so it's really in fact regressive.

If the little red hen is a small business owner, she gets hammered. If she gets really big, she does very well.
Last edited by 4 Scale; Jul 01, 2004 at 12:03 PM.
Closed Thread