HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:50 PM
Rochester New York
Joined Feb 2004
622 Posts
Any cape cod fliers in the forum?

Just got back from a family trip, only did a bit of slermal flying with my dlg foamie, but scouted a reaaly cool spot called cahoun hollow, anybody here do any flying in the cape cod area?
windsox is offline Find More Posts by windsox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:51 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
Windsox, Go to this thread and read FastForwards post.
He was just out there with his Boomer flying, and posted some pics of a place there.

Mike
Stocker is offline Find More Posts by Stocker
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:54 PM
Rochester New York
Joined Feb 2004
622 Posts
you forgot the link mike

and a search for a user named fastforward came up blank
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:58 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
801 Posts
Yep. Live on Cape Cod. Fly there. Cahoun Hollow is a decent place. Better place facing east is White Crest. Now is not the best time for slope soaring because of all the people on the beach and you need a beach parking sticker. National Seashore sticker or Wellfleet town, or any other town. After Labor Day, it's back to free parking and access. Cahoun and White Crest are also used by hang-glider folks. There are west facing slopes but same problem right now. Predominant summer wind is SW and there is a small accessible SW slope but requires a 15 min. walk from Seashore parking lot on Great Island. Word of advice, don't park on any road unless it specifically says parking OK. Don't ask how I know.
Hope to see you down here some time. PM me if you need specifics.
Jan
jcarstan is offline Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:09 PM
Rochester New York
Joined Feb 2004
622 Posts
avoiding the people was a challenge

Having a side arm launched ship (or bungie) would seem to be a plus. The best flying I did was on some small dunes in brewster. Being able to chuck a plane 75 feet in the air let me fly from beach level. Actualy go a bit of thermal lift of the hot sand as well I think. There looked like some neat spots up in truro as well. I know lots of people fly at the seascape motel, but there was another motel type place on this big dune south of pilgrim lake that looked nice to.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:03 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
Wow That was dum:-)
Its the Boomers at CRRC contest thread in handlaunch.

Mike
Stocker is offline Find More Posts by Stocker
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
I see there's slope soaring on Cape Cod. I was wondering if you guys know anywhere to slope soar close to Boston. I go to school there and don't have a car so I was wondering if there is anywhere close which is accessible by T or bike.
tnavressdog is offline Find More Posts by tnavressdog
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:52 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
801 Posts
Deer Island. Not sure about public transportation. Try these links. http://www.charlesriverrc.org/flying...steryslope.htm
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/a/crrcimagearchive.htm
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:17 PM
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Awesome. Where abouts is Deer Island? Any directions on how to get there exactly? I couldn't seem to find any on the forum and I'd love to do some slope soaring when I'm in Boston. I live very close to the Prudential center which I can see in the picture and to go slope soaring, I wouldn't mind biking 15 miles or more =).
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:41 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
801 Posts
Deer Island is east of Logan near the town of Winthrop. Deer Island is the location of Boston's waste water treatment facility. I've spoken to some of the CRRC guys who have flown/fly there but have personally never been there so I can't give you more information. There is a map of Deer Island if you go to the crrcimage archive link and look near the bottom for Deer Island 03. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
jcarstan, thanks. I appreciate the help very much. I will go have a look.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Whoa... this is really weird... So in May I was flying back home from school and I thought the scenery was really pretty after takeoff so I took pictures of an island... It just so happens that this island I took pictures of was Deer Island... I think I was destined to fly there... haha. I'll do it when I get back to school in late August. Here are two of the pictures I took. In the first picture, the flying site is the coast right in front and the other flying area is the coast on the right for a different direction wind.

Derrick
Last edited by tnavressdog; Jun 29, 2004 at 02:18 PM.