HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:16 AM
Austria [Europe, no Kangaroos ;-) ]
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
Canadair CL-415 finished (Depron)

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this, Foamies or Waterplanes
Almost half a year after it maidened I found the spirit to finish this plane. After flying around little foamies with more thrust than weight I wanted to get a real plane ready, something that doesn't cheat the laws of aerodynamics.
Yeah, and it's summer, at last. After taking these pics I got a good sunburn doing some waterskiing.

Some data:

Scratchbuilt own design
Wingspan:1590mm
Weight: 1790 to 1930g, depends on batteries
Motor: 2x Jamara Pro 480 HS, 1:2.5 Selfmade Gear, 10x7 APC Slimerprops (counterrotating), 8 Cells Sanyo 1250Nicd 4/5 Sub C and 3000NiMh Sub C
Controls: Elevator, Rudder, Aileron, Flaps.
Material: Depron, Wood at some places like Wing spar, wing attachment points, keel.

More Pics here

Start and climb is easy, enough power for a realistic flight style. With the heavier batteries there is a slight tendency to start jumping when i touch the water again after takeoff, but nothing nasty. It rolls and loops well, but it is definitly not a aerobatic plane , I love the view of the climbout after a low pass. Flaps work, but with more than 15 degree deflection they act mainly as pretty efficient brakes. Landing is no problem at all, just let her drop in.

Erich
Erich Preitler is offline Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
Last edited by Erich Preitler; Jun 28, 2004 at 10:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:13 PM
Do I have to Land?
Maine
Joined Jul 2003
224 Posts
That is a good looking plane.

I am thinking about attempting a scratch build Lake Renegade or the like. Do you have any picture of the build?

-rick
Rick_the_Jeeper is offline Find More Posts by Rick_the_Jeeper
Old Jun 30, 2004, 03:20 AM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
Great Cl-415!!!! I guess you stole my idea.. how about doing a "how too build" thread, like they have on all the other threads...
Insanety is online now Find More Posts by Insanety
Old Jun 30, 2004, 07:29 AM
Austria [Europe, no Kangaroos ;-) ]
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
Hi,
unfortunatly I don't have many pics of the building process, my cheap pencam only works outdoor, needs too much light. I made a plan, most details can be seen there, I'll send it if someone is interested. ( .dwg, .dxf or anything else Acad can create)

But there are a few things I would make different when building it again:
1. No Flaps - they work, but mostly as brakes for landing. Would save weight.
2. Moving the step 3cm or so forward.
3. A second wing spar at approx. the position of the flap hinges between the nacells - i glued a 2cm stripe of 1mm plywood to the underside of the wing. Just for crash resistence.
3. In the drawings is a device for scooping and dropping water - I built the structure for that but didn't finish it - didn't dare to add more weight. Would be something else with brushless motors....
4. when landing with high speed the plane tends to "jump" - i think I can cure this with trimm flaps at the step ar a slight ramp at the step - I've to work that out. Until this problem is solved scooping is not really a good idea.
5. change the wing section to a Naca 4415 or something like that.
6. Smaller servos - I could have saved 100g by not using my 15 year old R/C equipment.

The construction itself doesn't hold many innovative things I think, it's a Depron plane with little wood. I used 6mm Depron for the fuselage and 3mm for most other parts. PU-glue is the best for this work, it is easy to get it watertight with that stuff. Covering is heat shrink plastic film.

uh, covering: I had to be very careful, the Depron melts pretty easy. There are lots of wrinkles left but my crappy camera doesn't show these
I have to seal all edges of the foil, at least all edges facing forward, a had a vertical impact from about 20 meters (water in the reciever) and the water pulled off parts of the foil at the wings (no other damage . I blocked the battery ramp with a pencil before this flight, that saved the battery from being ejected)
Was my last depron plane with film covering, the next one gets paint again.

Paul
(Erich Preitler is just a nick I'm tired of, but I don't bother to register new)
Erich Preitler is offline Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
Last edited by Erich Preitler; Jun 30, 2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2004, 03:22 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Paul,

Great job at that small size...

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jul 04, 2004, 11:13 AM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
I'll gladly take a dwg file... I sendt you my e-mail on a PM...
Insanety is online now Find More Posts by Insanety
Old Aug 02, 2004, 04:06 PM
Lisboa - PORTUGAL
Joined Aug 2004
33 Posts
Paul:
Wonderful plane and construction ...
I'v sended a PM for a DWG / DXF plan ... if avaliable.
Regards,
António
Fancy Daisy is offline Find More Posts by Fancy Daisy
Old Aug 16, 2004, 07:03 PM
full time pirate
The Great White North
Joined Jun 2004
323 Posts
ditto....I tihnk Acad can save to JPG format as well...if so can I get a copy of each of the three views, muchly appreciated

Nathaniel
pimp_squeak is offline Find More Posts by pimp_squeak
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Look what I made today!

Hi Polar_bear,

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing them with us. Can I ask where they were taken? I bet you are very proud of your part in the construction of this marvellous aircraft. Are the serial numbers sequential or batch? No excuses for not getting good scale information if you were to build a model haha. Keep up the good work mate, Cheers, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:26 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,335 Posts
Hi Erich ,

wonderfull model !! Congratulation.Nice to know that some more austrian waterflyers are present

Greetings from upper austria

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Any of you guys seen the KMP CL-215 or plan on buy one?
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Hi there from me as well!!!
Here in Greece we love this plane!!
Press is calling them the yellow hope!!!
specialy after the events last year we became more popular!!
Personaly i love this bird!! I'm very proud to work as maintenance guy on it!!!
I already builded one using the plans of NiBio the italian guy builded it in depron and instead of Depron i used plywood and balsa!!
it fly great!!! Electric powered with 2 1500kVa 55gr motors and 1 4cell lipo gives me easy 9 minutes.
My next step now is MRAERODESIGN's model!!!
I'm into heavy stuff right now!!!

here are some pics of it:
pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:07 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,335 Posts
Very nice looking ! One day I will build also one from Nibios Plan

Greetings from upper austria

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:39 AM
Prague/Klatovy, CZ
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
WOW!!!! Looks so sweet! really well made, mate!
airkid is offline Find More Posts by airkid