SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:02 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Question
P-51 Mustang vs F4-U Corsair. Which one is easier to fly?

This is a question that I have wanted to ask for a very long time. Between the two, I tend to see far more Mustangs out there than Corsairs, so that tends to have me believe that the Mustang is a better flyer all around. For those that have experieced both, which is the better flyer and why?
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:16 AM
under a rock
Joined Mar 2004
182 Posts
You know that Corsair is bad with those gull wings and huge prop. You know there isn't a bird out there that looks as good as a Corsair on final, anyone can fly a stang, get the Corsair
Enriki is offline Find More Posts by Enriki
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:47 PM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguard
This is a question that I have wanted to ask for a very long time. Between the two, I tend to see far more Mustangs out there than Corsairs, so that tends to have me believe that the Mustang is a better flyer all around. For those that have experieced both, which is the better flyer and why?
Bear with me, I may get a bit long winded...

I can't say anything about which is easier to fly since I have not flown either one. I think the reason you see so many Mustangs is due to it's popularity in the civilian flying arena. The aircraft just seems to lend itself to so many different paint schemes that no two are alike. But it's still a Mustang. Seems like everyone and his his/her brother has one.

As for the Corsair, I have never seen one NOT done up in some type of military scheme. There may be some out there, I don't know. But the number of them out there is far less than the Mustang.

As an example of what I am getting at, I once had a chance to buy a '65 Ford Mustang or a '64 Ford Falcon Sprint (same chassis, different "skin"). I chose the Sprint. I don't want something everyone else seems to have.

The exception to this, in my case, is that I am building a scale Cub. I have always liked it's looks. It also represents my own general attitude these days; slow and easy.

Real question is: Which one would YOU rather look at?

Good luck...

dano13
Dano13 is offline Find More Posts by Dano13
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:32 PM
under a rock
Joined Mar 2004
182 Posts
This guy didn't buy the '65 mustang, that ought to tell you something, the Sprint didn't get the girls. lol Go to Reno air races, you will see Corsairs decked out in many color schiems.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:13 PM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriki
This guy didn't buy the '65 mustang, that ought to tell you something, the Sprint didn't get the girls. lol Go to Reno air races, you will see Corsairs decked out in many color schiems.
You are quite correct in that it "didn't get the girls". I wasn't looking. I was in my first year of marriage at the time, so girls were not on the priorty list. I am still married to the same "girl", looking for our 25th in January, 05, thank you...
We used to "cruise main" on Friday and Satuday nights with plenty of "lookers". It was especially fun to drive thru K-Mart parking lot and blip the throttle to set off motion alarms.

Getting off subject here, though. Where I am coming from has to do with personal preference. I don't argue that there may be other color schemes besides military on the Corsair, just that *I* have not seen one. Given a choice, and the necessary experience required for a warbird, I would go for the Corsair, simply because I don't care to "follow the crowd", and actually DO like the appearance of the Corsair.

I have never been to any R/C events, but we have a Scale Master's qualifying event coming up towards the end of next month that I will visit. I am almost willing to bet that the Mustangs out-numbers the Corsairs by at least two to one. But I could be wrong....

These are my own personal feelings, so please don't "blast" me with any one line quotes. Keep it in context if you feel the need to respond.

Thanks,

dano13
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:15 PM
under a rock
Joined Mar 2004
182 Posts
Here's one for you, now you not ignorant.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 06:23 AM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Here's one for you, now you not ignorant.
Thanks for the picture, but the comment was un-called for.

dano13
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:30 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,673 Posts
I have flown the TF corsiar and a scratch built .60 sized mustang. Dont think there is much difference between the two as far as flying goes. The corsiar does have a nasty habit of rolling inverted and diving when stalling low and slow (called the corsair doe-see-doe). They both take off about the same. Both need to get the tail up pretty quick, then the ground handling is easier. Landings are somewhat comparable, I like to bring them in with power on and land on the mains (1/4 to 1/8 throttle). Then bleed off speed on the ground. Warbird flying IS a little different from sport planes. I practiced with my Super Sportster 60 doing hot landings which helped some. A buddy just bought the H9 corsair and says it pretty much flys like a trainer, he liked it a lot. I would suggest starting there. But you'll have to work on the retracts, they pretty much suck.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:43 AM
under a rock
Joined Mar 2004
182 Posts
Most mustang plans or kits do not get the nose quite to scale, but are easier to build because of the relativly straight wings as compared to the gull wings on a Corsair, plus getting the retracks just right in the corsair. Dano you could buy that pretty Hanger 9 corsair and actually compete in fun scale at the scale masters event, or are you still flying your trainer.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:52 PM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Dano you could buy that pretty Hanger 9 corsair and actually compete in fun scale at the scale masters event, or are you still flying your trainer.
Enriki,
What have I said or done to have you making these unnecessary comments?
I simply replied to the original poster MHO regarding the two aircraft, stating my inexperience with either one. I also posted that *I* had never seen a non-military scheme on a Corsair. How does that make me "ignorant"? And my own quote: "Given a choice, and the necessary experience required for a warbird, I would go for the Corsair" should tell you that I do not have the experience to fly a warbird.

As others have stated, there is little difference in the ease of flying the two planes. I have read this elsewhere in several different threads, and on other forum sites, but with my lack of actual knowledge on either one, I simply stated MHO.

And, for the record, yes, I am still on the pacifier (trainer). What does that have to do with the views I have posted?

dano13
Old Jul 01, 2004, 06:50 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Dano13, I think Enriki's just funnin with ya

I just won the Hangar 9 Corsair on eBay for ($269.00)

Once it gets here, It'll be a while before I actually fly it due to several other planes that I am working with right now. (Mainly a Soviet Mig-15 ducted fanjet), But when the Corsair finally arrives, the first thing I plan to do with it is to start looking for a good set of retracts as well as a good engine for it. (I still havent made up my mind as to whether I will go with either the 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine or a 2 blade or 3 blade propeller system yet). I also don't think I'm gonna keep it the same blue color that the picture shows on the box either. I saw someone at the field a few weeks ago with one that was painted a dark military green that was absolutely awsome and flew like a angel. This guy would pull up into a very big loop, and when the plane was in the top of the loop, he would cut the engine in mid flight so the wings could be heard cutting through the air just like the real ones sound when diving in on an attack run, then hit the engine again right as it was leveling off. Man I thought that was awsome. I don't know what he did to it to make that sound, but that was a real showstopper

Anyway, let me get back to work on this Kamdax Mig 15. Her maiden flight will be either tomorrow or saturday!

Thanks for the input everyone
Last edited by Starguard; Jul 01, 2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 07:17 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Before I go a couldn't help but to take notice of something, I was looking at the red Corsair photo on posting#6 and can't help but wonder...

How come the pilot chose to fly with a four blade prop? I was under the assumption that a 2 blade prob would be best for speed and the more blades you have the less effective (slower) it will be. I would think that a fighter or a racer would be built for speed.

Why the four blades?...anyone know
Last edited by Starguard; Jul 01, 2004 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2004, 09:19 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined May 2003
2 Posts
I know

I know the answer to that one, in one word it's horsepower! You're right about a two blade prop being more effecient than a four blade, in fact if you talk to an aerodynamicist he'd tell you a single blade would be even more effecient because it doesn't have to travel through the other props turbulent air. They put multi-bladed props on planes to soak up all the horsepower that those huge engines produce. For instance the corsair's prop is just a tick over 13" in diameter, just imagine how large it would have to be if it was only a two blade! not to mention how long the landing gear would have to be.
crazyfast is offline Find More Posts by crazyfast
Old Jul 06, 2004, 07:45 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Oh I see...Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2004, 01:20 PM
Joined Jul 2004
62 Posts
Without a doubt in my head do you go with the P51-D. landing is harder than flying a jet with a corsair.
YSmaniac is offline Find More Posts by YSmaniac