SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2004, 05:14 PM
naX
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
First Build!!!! (Slow Stick)

Well, most of you experienced peeps won't be too impressed, if any at all, but I'm proud of myself. Now I just have to get the electronics in! The pics didn't turn out well, but oh well. I didn't put decals on because I'm going to 'brush it later tonight. ***Question regarding paint: should I remove all the tape before masking it off and spraying?*** I cut my bevels out too far so a lot of white foam is visible, but I still get awesome range of motion. I may have to make a new vertical stabilizer 'cause the foam came out of the box a little warped. I'm going to try the kite string trick and see if that will straighten it out. Anyway, here are the three pics (cut down to fit)...
naX is offline Find More Posts by naX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:24 AM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
Nice job. Keep in mind that, by positioning the electronics, and especially the battery, you can make your planes center of gravity be right at the spot it should be. You could rubber band, or tape the electronics in place and see where it balances. Then move things around until it does balance where it should. Then you can mount them where they need to be.

Mmmm paint huh. Well, that would make it a one of a kind. Paint adds weight though, so don't use too much. And use foam safe paint.
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Last edited by uglystick; Jun 28, 2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:02 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
You don't need to use every elastic band in the box to hold the wings on, they are supposed to allow the wing to move when/if you crash.

>I cut my bevels out too far so a lot of white foam is visible,

You can colour it in with a red pen, if you're bothered.

Robin
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:27 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
just my 2cents

NaX

Before you do anything make sure the wings are true on your SS. It seems to be a common overlooked area to have a TE on one wing to flair upwards while the other wing is flat and true. I had just that on my SS and it drifted left so badly at first I really had to trim it like heck to get it to fly straight.

Also considering by the photos you used the aluminum joiners <instead of the suggested brass ones> it would be in best interest to use a fair amount of packing tape on that wing. It would help keep the flexing to a minimum.

Foam safe paints like testors brand are a must. They work great when you paint per the directions. Many times it’s the paints propulsion NOT the paint itself that will melt the foam. Paint is also a fast way to add unwanted weight to a plane. If your looking for red touch up the sharpie pen as mentioned is the way to go. But if you want a completely different color then just don’t get to crazy with the number of coats you use painting.

My SS painted and with LOTS of packing tape is still only about 17.5 ounces. I also have lots of other mods.

Lastly if you are going to go through the trouble to mod the tailfeathers use tiny carbon fiber rods. I have tried fishing line and the way I had it rigged it would only add support if you tried to pull something apart. If you pushed it together it just collapsed. Also I used tiny aluminum rods but they did weigh considerably more then the carbon fiber.

Best of luck to you and propsaver…. propsaver…propsaver!

Tommy in NY
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:29 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,863 Posts
Nax,
Tommy was too nice to tell you, but it appears that the leading edge at the tip of your right wing (pilots view) appears to be higher than the leading edge of your left wing. This will may your plane go in a constant circle to the left. You may want to check it. It could be just the camera angle.

Enjoy your plane,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:56 PM
naX
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
LcJ,
While it is a bit higher on the right, it's not that high. I just threw the landing gear on for the pictures and wasn't put on straight so it made the plane slant. Also, because I don't have all my electronics in yet, I haven't balanced. I just threw the wing on for the pics as well. I did take the wing off and re-inspect though and as a result, I redid the dihedral and epoxy'ed the fiberglass rods with extra packing tape around it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:58 PM
naX
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. Should those reinforcement rods go below the wing, on top of the wing, or right smack at the front/back? I've currently got them on the top of the wing...
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:23 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,863 Posts
Nax,
I put mine right at the leading edge of the wing. You might want to use really goot n sticky tape. You might also want to use a dab of alcohol to remove any residue from the foam that might prevent the sticky from sticking.

Good luck, it will be a blast.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:50 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
Solder a piece of wire between the landind gear legs to keep them from doing the splits.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610
Old Jun 28, 2004, 09:32 PM
Southern Man
Olive Branch, Mississippi, United States
Joined Jun 2004
87 Posts
Propsaver

Since Tommy mentioned this, how do propsavers work? I've seen pictures of them but couldn't figure them out.
Dynofly is offline Find More Posts by Dynofly
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:19 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
When using a propsaver, it is the nut recessed in the back of the prop which actually turns the prop, not the rubber bands holding the prop to the propsaver.
You want to cut the prop shaft down to about 1/4 inch in front of the nut. That will let your prop slide off the propsaver, which is really what saves the prop. Having the shaft too long will cause the prop to hang up on it and increase the likelihood of bending the prop shaft, as well as possibly breaking the prop.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610