HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2004, 06:03 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Astro Micro Meter 100 problem?

I was trying to get an amp reading on my GWS 350C - CS motor with an Etec 1200 x2S combination, with a GWS 9 x 7 S.F. prop. When I throttle up the motor cuts out at about 1/2 throttle -- 3.9 amps, 7.99 volts is the reading. I have to throttle down and then up and the same situation repeats itself.
When I run the motor without the Meter in line it revs up to full throttle and will hold there for about 10 seconds when I throttled down so as to not overheat anything.
Any ideas on what is causing this? Help would be appreciated.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:09 AM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Bump
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:19 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Nov 2003
805 Posts
Rod,

What ESC are you using? What cut off settings (Voltage and current)?

Please forgive the obvious:
The cells are fully charged?
Is anything getting hot to touch when in use?
Are the readings you give at 1/2 or full throttle if not at full what are the readings
Which gearbox ratio are you using?

Sounds like it should work...

Michael
mjdoz is offline Find More Posts by mjdoz
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:38 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Odd..... to the ESC the Astro meters are just some added wire length (and connectors). Inside the shunt that is sensed to drive the measurements is rather heftier than the wiring. Are connectors getting warm?

BTW, at full song you will be pushing the limits of the micro meter (16A, IIRC). I melted the wiring on mine running about 20A. I rewired with 16 guage silicone-jacketed wire and all is well now.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:07 AM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
The battery (Etec12oomah x2 in series) was fully charged. The readings I quoted were at 1/2 throttle position on the Tx. The Gear box ratio is 5.33:1. The connectectors were at ambient temperature., as was the ESC and motor. The esc was set for cutoff of 3 volts / cell. MotoCalc indicates that I should be getting a reading in the 7 amp range with a 9x7 slow fly prop.