HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2002, 11:36 PM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
How To Bend Tiger Moth Elevator/Rudder Without Breaking?

Ok, I'm at the point where I apply the tape to the elevator and rudder of the Tiger Moth. It then says to bend it 40deg in each direction. Now it bends along the groove fine, but if I try going the other way, I know it'll start to crack. What do I do? Is it supposed to be like this or what? Please help as soon as you can. Thanks!

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2002, 11:57 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
segal3:
Don't stress - it'll work out fine. You need to bend it both ways to free it up. Make sure it moves freely in both directions.
It shouldn't break - I've done both a TM and a J3 Cub and neither did.
Later on, after several less than optimum "landings", I did have to retape the elevator and rudder of both planes. I used Scotch 3M Super Strength clear mailing tape - great stuff.
I've used it to strengthen the wing center joints and also used it to repair a broken wing. Adds a LOT of strength and very little weight.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 18, 2002, 12:04 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,828 Posts
No Worries Mate.. ok Matt this is the way i did it .. repeat the way i did it .. you will probably get a ton of posts here all different..and all good suggestions... i cut all control surface hinge lines and use the tape on the rudder.. i taped each side leaving about 1/16th gap inbetween the rudder and verticle stabilizer .. on the elevator i cut it totally free also and taped the top side only .. running the tape the full Width of the elevator and Horizontal Stabilizer.. i have now had 40 + flights with this setup on my J-3 and Moth.. i have also used dubro micro nylon hinges epoxied in .. only thing with using hinges is cutting hinge slot .. very delicate work .. and would not suggest it till you have several models under your belt.. hope this helps ... Happy Landings... Vyceroy

P.S. dont cut the bottom of rudder that fits into the Fuselage slot .. just break the hinge line slightly ..
Vyceroy is online now Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 18, 2002, 05:48 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Dittos on cutting all the way through except I cut everything all the way. I tape on the top and run small strips on the bottom at the edges and on both sides of the horn. On these I leave enough slack that I can run it into the groove and the adhesive touches top and bottom.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47