HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:47 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
Wedell Williams Aerodrome//?????

anyone make this yet? any pictures??

i would like to know how tough this one would be to make for a intermediate builder/ flyer..

looks pretty darn cool on the website..

T
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:21 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
You bet its cool.

I am doing the prototype build on this model and started on it today. I will post a building thread at some point but I generally like to get a model framed up first, taking pictures as I go and then only posting the highlights of the construction. This is because I am a slow builder and I am very busy at work and travel a good bit. A build thread as I build would take many weeks. Kurt and also Peter Rake have the patience of saints to allow me to build prototypes of their wonderful electric designs.

I have the laser cut kit and have very throughly inspected it and the plans. While not for a total novice (no built-up scale model should be used as a trainer anyway!!!) it appears to be a superb kit with the typically excellent plans and parts that are typical for Aerodrome RC. Based on my inspection, I highly recommend this kit to anyone who has a built-up model or two under their belt.

If you do buy it and have questions, you are welcome to PM me with any questions and we can work together to find the answer.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Last edited by 4 Scale; Jun 26, 2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:53 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
it sure sounds like a interesting kit alright..i will keep an eye on the build threads when you get started on it..

thanks
t
Old Jul 06, 2004, 10:08 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
I was able to find out all about this kit through Kurt and I ordered one right away also..thanks Greg.

The other projects are wrapping up just in time to give this one my undivided attention..

i wrote to hacker to ask about motors but no reply, i wonder if an AXI isnt the best way to go..i think it was the 2808, does that sound right?

after reading the history of the Wedell brothers and Mr Williams, this plane has an extremely interesting history..They were in Patterson LA, not far from Avery Island (where tabasco sauce is from)..Roscoe Turner just adds to the story..

I am really looking forward to that build thread Greg, but i sure understand what travelling and working does to ambition..any ideas on colors yet--crimson and silver?? --or other??

Tim
Old Jul 06, 2004, 11:46 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
I agree it is a stunning, classic design. I am leaning toward the black scheme. Yes Kurt is suggesting an AXI 2808/20.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:19 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
started building Wedell Williams racer model 44

what i have done so far--i need more coffee!!

say Greg- i know you plan on a build thread, but is there any chance you could share a picture of the fuse framed up?? i am looking at the plans and want to make sure i understand how to approach making the fuselage.

either here or PM me please if you have time.

this is a wonderful kit and it is BIG compared to the ones i have made before..

tim
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:41 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i placed the tail next to the fuse..

this is how it looks today, i have to try and make some kind of jig to hold everything straight while i build the other side..

T
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Looking good so far. I am having a blast building this plane too. Kurt has done another superb job with this kit. I am on vacation this week but should be able to post some build shots toward the end of next week.

Tim in addition to the bracing, I'd suggest make sure the fit between the keels and the round formers is not too tight, just tight enough for good glue contact. You don't want to set up any stress in the frame, the parts should all contact each other but have free movement - so you can wigggle them.
Last edited by 4 Scale; Jul 12, 2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 01:58 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,521 Posts
Tim,

I PM'ed this to you but realized that it might be useful here as well.

The best way to assemble the fuselage is :
1) Lay down the top and bottom keels.

2) Attach the outmost formers making them square to the board.

3) Insert the side keel. Sand the side keel's sides down a bit as it may be thicker than 1/8" and it may fit too tight in the formers notch.

4) Using the side keel as a support, add the other formers squaring as you go.

5) Then add the 1/8" Sq. diagonal supports Greg spoke of from top and bottom keels to adjacent side keel and vise versa.

6) Once it is dry it can be removed from the board.

7) Add the outmost formers as before but squareing is done by eye and perhaps a straight edge from the other side. If you get former out of square, it is not a disaster.

8) Add the side keel as before

9) Use the side keel as a support to add the other formers. Square by eye or straight edge with opposide former.

10) Add 1/8" sq. braces as before

11) Add stringers one side, then the matching stringer on the opposite side to keep fuselage from warping.

12) It is useful to put a 1/8" sq piece of balsa vertically on the keels tail section about 3/4" back from the end of the fuse as a stringer support. Don't taper the stringers. just lay them against the end of the keel.

13) Finish the tail end with balsa filler back to the vertical balsa and sand to a nice shape.

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Jul 12, 2004 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typos
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:46 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
Thanks Kurt

After making a half dozen mountain models kits, and a dumas conversion, this kit is not hard to work on at all..

i was a little worried before i ordered it because i thought it was more of an "experts only" kit..and now i find it is very well thought out and made so that the average builder can do it..Thats ME..

thanks for the list of helpful items, i will continue to follow this path and ask questions as the need arises..

Best Regards

Tim
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:59 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Alright, ALRIGHT!!!! How do I get one of these kits and who do I give my money to?!?!?!?!?! I have a weak spot for golden age racers, and must have this one!

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:18 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,521 Posts
Greg,
We are featuring the kit in our workshop section of www.aerodromerc.com.

We can't give instructions as they aren't ready on workshop kits and there may be a few rough spots in the design. However, we price them very reasonably.

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:59 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Thanks Kurt, sent you guys an email with a couple of questions.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Jul 17, 2004, 01:07 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
a few more pictures of the model 44 and Roscoe Turner
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:55 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts