SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by scaulfi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:46 AM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Had a fun time at Wynnum yesterday, glad i've got my steering sorted out again, Thanks for that replacement bearing too Shaun, I didnt think it would totally mess up the steering like it did but there you go. I'll know what to suspect next time it happens.

I'm going to change my servo setup again, I'll go with the spring/rod and seperate dampner, It was OK with just the sprung dampner yesterday but hard to tune and very very touchy.

I got some video from yesterday, it's not great but it shows the track layout well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...54#post6943571
TroyM is offline Find More Posts by TroyM
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 05:02 AM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Thanks for the video Troy, track looks good and the guys were lapping around there really well, wish I was there too

I am liking the seperate damper/spring setup, it does seem easier for me to tune till I get a better idea of what each thing does when I change it

Troy can tell me more about the bearing problem you had with the steering??

So is everone ready for next weekend??

Cheers
Simon
scoop075 is offline Find More Posts by scoop075
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Simon, no worries on the video, I wish I had the tripod it might not have been so shaky. I'm still getting used to the camera too.. Needless to say, i'm not giving up my day job .

The lower bearing in the steering mount had completely shat itself, I figure it must have taken some damage on the fork bending crash I had a while back and taking the forks/triples off the add some shimming basically let them fall apart. It was a bit of a mission getting the bearing cage out, i'm lucky Shaun had done it before (and was prepared to do it again , cheers Shaun) I think I wouldve been stuck trying.

The other problem was the crach-back spring, It had become very limp probably from the same crash, I think I showed you how easy it was to push the front wheel back at the last race. I found some suitable springs at Bunnings, I havent put them in yet but they look to be perfect for the job.

SHould be all good for the weekend though, looking forward to it. Gold coast track will be luxury size compared to Wynnum
I think you'd enjoy Wynnum though Simon, it'd got a nice feel to it.

Cheers
TroyM is offline Find More Posts by TroyM
Old Feb 18, 2007, 05:38 PM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM
The lower bearing in the steering mount had completely shat itself, I figure it must have taken some damage on the fork bending crash I had a while back and taking the forks/triples off the add some shimming basically let them fall apart. It was a bit of a mission getting the bearing cage out, i'm lucky Shaun had done it before (and was prepared to do it again , cheers Shaun) I think I wouldve been stuck trying.
I might have contributed to that when my bike jumped the curb after racing, into the path of yours on the straight....sorry It was a big hit

Simon
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
Thanks for the video Troy, Shauns bikes always look good on video.

The bearings in the steering support always take a beating. The night before the last race at Gilston I spent an hour banging out both bearings as they had been completely destroyed. I think there is so much leverage on the bearings from the forks that they will always be a weak point. I notice on a few other treads that Allan uses bushes with more success. I might give it a go.

Ben
Nexzzt is offline Find More Posts by Nexzzt
Old Feb 18, 2007, 09:40 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Troy, no probs with the bearings, helping you get them in is the least I could do.. I don't mind at all..! It's all good fun.. I like seeing you on the track, not in the pits.. Thanks for the vid too, I saw it last night.. You must have missed my triple blip wheelie on the front straight.., oh, and my coax heli when it got blown away by the wind.. That thing keeps flying no matter how high it falls from..

Yep, Wynnum is a pretty rough track, but fun none the less.. It takes a bit of getting used to.. But if you can consistantly run that track, it makes Gilston look like Brisbane international airport.. lol

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
pete05
sydney australia
Joined Apr 2006
264 Posts
hey guys, got my Grps today , just trying to decide on shoe goo or loctite, anyway i will post up some pics when there on.
NR11 pete is offline Find More Posts by NR11 pete
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:59 PM
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
I use the puss coloured (sorry, best description I could come with) contact adhesive. There is one that is branded "Locktite" that you can get at Bunnings which I found to be good. A bit messy but easy to clean up.

You will like the GRP's, they make a world of differance

Ben
Last edited by Nexzzt; Feb 19, 2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 01:53 AM
Anywhere there is room to fly...
Joined Feb 2004
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexzzt
I use the puss coloured (sorry, best description I could come with) contact adhesive. There is one that is branded "Locktite" that you can get at Bunnings which I found to be good. A bit messy but easy to clean up.

You will like the GRP's, they make a world of differance

Ben
I used medium CA then clamped the wheels in a "Piston Ring Compressor" (mainly cos I'm lazy and didnt want to hold them)!!!
They havnt come off yet, but I might checkout that contact adhesive too; Good suggestion...
pitts is online now Find More Posts by pitts
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:04 AM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Pitts - Awsome idea with the piston ring compressor, I will do that next time.

Also as far as racing this weekend goes I was thinking that we might have to sqeeze into one shade tent because I recon it's going to be really crowded and people might get peeved if we take two spots?? Also Shaun if you still have that print out from our first meet hanging one on the fence near our tent might be good for prospective racers??

Thats all I got at the moment, anyone else have any ideas??

Simon
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:47 AM
pete05
sydney australia
Joined Apr 2006
264 Posts
have you guy ever tried using zapa-dap-a goo before, i think its like shoe goo but not totally sure.
NR11 pete is offline Find More Posts by NR11 pete
Old Feb 19, 2007, 03:58 AM
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
I use a piece of inner tube from a wheel barrow tyre to hold my tyre in place while the glue dries
Old Feb 19, 2007, 05:50 AM
Any toy is good
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
Well I'm turning quite green here.
Finally read the whole thread and you Queenslanders are having way too much fun.

Let me introduce me.

RC has become an affliction, been into it since 79.
I have boats, planes, cars, helis and now bikes.
Tried racing 1/5 sedans (too slow and couldn't come to grips with it).
My current passion is a Serpent 960 1/8 scale.
I race at Radio Race Cars SA in the Adelaide Hills.

Got a TTe ducati and just finished a SF506.
We have 3 SF506's and a SF501 in the club, none of us have ridden the nitro bikes yet, mine is the closest with 2 tanks on the bench. Hangin to get it run in but it's just been too stinking hot here lately. There are also 2 SF501's that we sometimes see on off weekends.

We are all a bit dissappointed cos the club has just decided not to allow any new classes at the moment.

You guys have some great info in this thread, but i managed to think of a new question.

We all got our 506's in HK over xmas, they were the race versions and came with the NF slicks. Anybody got any experience with these tires, how do they compare to the GRPs and PMTs?

BTW Brendale is a fantastic facility, I was up there helping out with security and mashalling at the nitro worlds last year.

Sorry for the long post.

Gordon
Toytime is offline Find More Posts by Toytime
Old Feb 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop075
Also as far as racing this weekend goes I was thinking that we might have to sqeeze into one shade tent because I recon it's going to be really crowded and people might get peeved if we take two spots?? Also Shaun if you still have that print out from our first meet hanging one on the fence near our tent might be good for prospective racers??

Thats all I got at the moment, anyone else have any ideas??

Simon
Simon, one tent's big enough I recon.. yeah, I'll print out somemore flyers too,.. we need more riders, anything to make the class bigger..

Also, Did you ask your brother about bringing his drag bike to display on the day..? He might even get it on TV, a bit of advertising for him...

As for glueing my tyres, I was using Loctite480 for a while but ran out of it not long ago.. I've just gone back to using Flash/Zap CA.. ShoeGoo starts to skin straight away as soon as it comes out of the tube, by the time you get the tyre on some spots have parshly dried already.. can be messy too.. Contact adhesive works ok too,... rough up both surfaces (tyre/rim), and be sure both surfaces are dry before you put them together...

Yep, almost ready for the weekend.. Everyone got their nice new body work on..??? It'll be a show pony day I think..

OH!,.. cause we're only having 3min heats, it's probably a good idea if we run one of the shorter cuircuts, get more laps in etc.. So, which section do we want to leave out..? Any ideas..???

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Feb 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaulfi

As for glueing my tyres, I was using Loctite480 for a while but ran out of it not long ago.. I've just gone back to using Flash/Zap CA..

Shaun
I've gone back to ordinary thin cyano as well.The 480 works well but seems a bit thick to actually run into the gap and can easily set in lumps in my experience.

It's good you're getting the bike scene going in Aus.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall