HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by scaulfi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 02:54 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
124 Posts
Yeah the heat where you get the most laps, and in the best time. Like if you had one heat that was 13 laps in 5m05, and the next was 13 laps in 5m04, then the second one will be your qualifying time.

We still have one club here, that I race at, that uses flags but they just press a button on their laptop to count a lap for whichever color comes by. Still rather old school though lol
Sean S is offline Find More Posts by Sean S
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2006, 03:14 AM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Thanks Sean, now I get it

Shaun - for the starting board I was originally thinking of one plank of wood laying flat, with one on it's edge attached to that to make a 90 degree, and then U shaped brakets fitted parallel to the track off the one on it's edge for our rear tyres to locate in. If we sat it at an angle to the track we may fit 6 or so bikes on it and that also gives us some stagger for a clean start. The problem I see with that idea was it will end up really long and may be hard to transport, and also once it's full of bikes a second row may be a problem. Your idea of individual stands takes care of these problems and may even let us run rows provided was stagger them giving each bike has a clean path down the track. If you want to make a prototype I recon go for it.

Simon
scoop075 is offline Find More Posts by scoop075
Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:58 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
Simon,.. (Quick drawing) I was thinking of this idea.. The bikes face toward the the line that they'd be taking, and staggered about 1m appart or so,.. and each block is connected by a peice of string so the marshal at that point can rip the blocks out of the way as soon as the bikes take off etc...

I just hope all this is'nt more trubble than it's worth, but we'll see... I still like the way they do it in the UK, all lined up on the starting grid and each one is pushed off cleanly, one after the other etc... But see what you guys think first...

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:18 PM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaulfi
Simon,.. (Quick drawing) I was thinking of this idea.. The bikes face toward the the line that they'd be taking, and staggered about 1m appart or so,.. and each block is connected by a peice of string so the marshal at that point can rip the blocks out of the way as soon as the bikes take off etc...

I just hope all this is'nt more trubble than it's worth, but we'll see... I still like the way they do it in the UK, all lined up on the starting grid and each one is pushed off cleanly, one after the other etc... But see what you guys think first...

Shaun
That looks ok to me. It is tough to know which way to go, last weekend looking at the printouts I got on one of the heats our bikes were started way out of order. Not that it is really an issue for me as I am not that serious but if we are looking to get some more people involved then some of them may be put off by the slightly random starts we were getting if they are more compeditive about it. Some sort of starting system would make the class looks more professional and serious. Troy and Ben...what are your thoughts??

Simon
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:36 PM
Any thing nitro
NORTHRIDGE CA
Joined Jan 2006
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Simon,.. (Quick drawing)

Shaun
We use the gates with good luck. You do get a bad start every once in a while. But it is nice to have a heads up start for the main (final).
HOT ROD LOCAL is offline Find More Posts by HOT ROD LOCAL
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
I agree Simon. Even though we are all there for fun, and not too serious, we need to be a little professional to attract more ppl. It will make marshaling the bikes a bit easier too if they just have to drag starting gates off the track. I guess the key is to make it a simple as possible for the marshals, while achieving consistent starts.

At the end of the day I couldn't care less in what order or how the bikes are started as long as we get a couple of laps close racing

HOT ROD LOCAL - have you got any pointers on the design of the starting gates, or could you possibly describe/provide a pic of how you guys do it?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun, if you want any help with anything (materials/labor) let me know.

Ben
Nexzzt is offline Find More Posts by Nexzzt
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:13 PM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT ROD LOCAL
We use the gates with good luck. You do get a bad start every once in a while. But it is nice to have a heads up start for the main (final).
Do you have any pictures of the system you use and extra info, were up for ideas at the moment.

Simon
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:15 PM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexzzt
HOT ROD LOCAL - have you got any pointers on the design of the starting gates, or could you possibly describe/provide a pic of how you guys do it?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Beat me by a minute

Simon
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:00 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
HRL,.. I'd like to see your grid setup too..

Ben, I'll let you know if I do or not, seeing which way I go building it...

Here's another way I was thinking of,.. and they allready have the grid marked out for this setup.., for the 1/8th's etc... LeMans style..

Shaun
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:14 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
[OT] To add to Tezza's things forsale, I've got a Mamba 7700kv BL System sitting here for $280 if anyones interested.. Bargan! Comes with everything, the USB setup cable, CD, booklet and Box,.. hardly used... (Damm,.. Another tempting thing I can't afford right now ).. lol

Let me know.....

Shaun
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:29 AM
Goldcoast QLD
Joined May 2006
351 Posts
Quote:
Here's another way I was thinking of,.. and they allready have the grid marked out for this setup.., for the 1/8th's etc... LeMans style..
I do like the lemans setup better, would be easier to set up than a seperate starting point for each bike, they might even let us put a hook or something in the pit wall for it to sit in untill the marshal moves it. Another option also bellow. Sorry shaun I dont have the skill to draw one up so I doctored yours . That mamba is tempting, even if it is way more power than needed.

Simon
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:38 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
Oh yeah,.. I forgot to say that last pic before you doctored it I was going to say we could have the blocks mounted to a peice of timber and it could stay there till the end of the race, it would be out of the way enough for us to miss it alltogether.. It could stay there at the track too, under the drivers stand, till we need it again.. And it would be heavy enough that none of the bikes could get stuck, or take one of the blocks with them...

You don't know how many times I've been drooling over that Mamba today..
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
Quote:

You don't know how many times I've been drooling over that Mamba today..
I'd buy it, but for me its either buy a stock setup (Novak ss5800 etc.) or the Mamba. I think I go with a stock setup for racing

Has he got his radio for sale?

I was thinking the same thing about Shaun's setup lemans setup. It could be left there during the whole race, but I know my bike would find a way to hit it
Nexzzt is offline Find More Posts by Nexzzt
Last edited by Nexzzt; Dec 01, 2006 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:24 AM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
I like the LeMans start idea too, I'm sure i've seen pics on one of the US sites of each bike having little steel L plate brackets they sat in, in a lemans formation for starting, I'll try and find the images again.

I think the people at the club were happy to be involved with the starting of the bikes, they seemed to enjoy it but for consistency and the moe professional approach some kind of starting device would be better for sure.

I'm sure my bike would find a way to hit anything left on the track too

Thanks for the explanation of the lap times and stuff Simon and Sean, it makes much more sense now

I've been thinking a lot about the PTs, I'm very interested to see inside of one. If anyone has a good high-res pic of the internals of one that would be great. I'm not planning to copy it, just want to understand what they are putting in them The copy MRT ones look like a single transceiver with some kind of backup battery and thats about it. I dont know if it's damaging to pry one open but if anyone knows where pics can be found already, that would be awesome.
TroyM is offline Find More Posts by TroyM
Old Dec 01, 2006, 03:01 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
Ok, here's another quick drawing,.. well, it took a little bit longer than the last one anyway.. But you get the idea.. I've got a fair bit of that box Ali here so it's not a prob making some up to try out next time we get together...

I think I remember seeing those OS starting grid pics before too..

Shaun