HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by scaulfi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:30 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Ken,

No probs. Welcome too btw ,.. I/we would be happy to help you out, you've got a few to choose from too. The best thing with the bikes is once you outlay the costs of getting started the bikes are way cheaper to run than 1/5 cars.. At one point I was thinking about getting into large scale cars too,.. glad I did'nt.. Bikes are more fun anyway..

If your seriously thinking of getting into it then you should go straight for a proper competion chassis like KP10elec or nitro, McLarney, the new Thunder Tiger SB5 bike when it comes out, NouvaFaor SF509e or n, or the ARX onroad bike.. But if you want something just to see if your into them or not the ThunderTiger Ducati 999r elec or nitro is the cheapest way into it.. You will need to get new tires tho for better traction, and maybe a few other bits, better rear shock etc.

All my bikes are KP's, a few of the other guys have KP's. Another with a modified TT/Duc999r that runs well, and a McLarney. A few stock TT999r's aswell. There are guys at all driving levels in our club.

Check out http://www.2wheelhobbies.com it's a good place to start looking for bikes.

Bribie Island isn't to far, we get a few that come down to race with us from Harvey Bay and a few from the Goldie.

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:54 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
Thanks Shaun,

I had a look at the KP website. That looks like the way to go if I get into it.

Do most guys race electric or nitro?

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:04 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Ken, just electric bikes at our club atm. I do occationaly race my nitro bike with the electric class. A few other guys have nitros too. Electric bikes are the way to go at first though, you have less of a learning curve to go through, there's far to much to deal with at first learning to drive and running a nitro bike at the same time.. But if you know your nitro engines then it's totally upto you.. Electric bikes are just plug'N'play basicly..

If there came a day and we had enough drivers plus a few that wanted to run nitro we could split the bikes up into 2 classes (Nitro/Elec) and we could marshal ourselves.., that would keep the car guys happy..

Shaun
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Boondall
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
Bike racing this Friday night....

Good news everyone - Half price racing for those who ran last fortnight.

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

The committee has decided that as the last couple of meetings have not been completed we will be offering the following :-

Anybody who entered the meeting on Friday the 5th February will have a 50% reduction in fees for the meeting on Friday the 19th February.

Hope to see you all at those meetings.

Regards Trevor.
Tom and I will be there and I hope to see yo all there too.

(Racing starts 7pm so get there early for practice unless you are Lennie 'I don't need practice' Kerr )

Cheers

Dave
Havago Racing is offline Find More Posts by Havago Racing
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2008
142 Posts
We'll be there!
61DUB is online now Find More Posts by 61DUB
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:09 PM
I do this for fun!
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
Hi to the Brendale racers,

I won't be coming down to see you tonight - the wether's a little too iffy.

I'll catch up in about a month. The new TT bike is looking good!

Go Great!

Ken.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
Australia, QLD, Boondall
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken View Post
Hi to the Brendale racers,

I won't be coming down to see you tonight - the wether's a little too iffy.

I'll catch up in about a month. The new TT bike is looking good!

Go Great!

Ken.
Pfft - its not iffy for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/forecasts/brisbane.shtml
Forecast for Friday
Mostly fine. Just the chance of a brief shower or two, mainly bayside. Moderate
SE winds, fresh at times about the bayside.
Brendale is not near bayside and even then it is only a 'chance' so we'll be fine
Havago Racing is offline Find More Posts by Havago Racing
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:28 AM
I do this for fun!
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
Well I did end up meeting the guys at Brendale tonight.

Bikes are great! Awesome fun.

Now I just have to figure out how to get into it. Huge thanks to Shaun for his patient answering of questions I'm sure he's had many times before. All the bike guys are keen as, and they are all great ambassadors for the sport, but Shaun really does do a fantastic job.

Respect in particular for the Hervey Bay boys who do big kilometres in their own unique style to come and race and have fun in what looks like equal measure.

Thanks again to everyone!

Ken.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:19 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken View Post
Well I did end up meeting the guys at Brendale tonight.

Bikes are great! Awesome fun.

Now I just have to figure out how to get into it. Huge thanks to Shaun for his patient answering of questions I'm sure he's had many times before. All the bike guys are keen as, and they are all great ambassadors for the sport, but Shaun really does do a fantastic job.

Respect in particular for the Hervey Bay boys who do big kilometres in their own unique style to come and race and have fun in what looks like equal measure.

Thanks again to everyone!

Ken.
Hey Ken, it was nice to meet you last night. I hope you enjoied watching us, and as you saw we are all at different driving levels. If you decide to get a bike you'll have no trouble getting it setup and/or driving tips etc..

Shaun
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:57 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Brendale Time Sheets - 19-02-10

Looks like we'll never get to the finals, that's twice we've missed out now. Once last fortnight due to computer probs, and then the rain bucketing down just as we were all good to go for the final. Lets hope next fortnight see's us through to the end of the night.

Dave, you got fastest lap of the night, 23.401.. Lenny got a 20.352! lol Looks like a short cut somewhere to me..

Great to have the guys from Harvey Bay join us again too, thanks to Chow (designated driver) getting them all to the race 'safely' and on time..

Looks like Anthony did have a transponder in his bike.

Geff had a few issues after we setup his bike but, seeing as he was running TC's aswell he'll probably be better prepared for the next meet.. (Geff has his own bike now too, I can see some battles in the near future)..
Last edited by scaulfi; Feb 20, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:18 AM
Joined May 2009
969 Posts
Heya hiya from Melbourne.1/5th is in order many of the crew that go to Lilydale mix it up now with 1/8ths and 5ths since the track is massive it screams 1/5th . Another racer Lukey B is in the same mind set so I'm thinking a KP and he may go Mclarney.If any knows of someone out to sell thiers /Rolling chassis whatever let me know. May just go fresh with the 10.
Risknreward is offline Find More Posts by Risknreward
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:22 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Well there's only 3 sleeps to go before our next meet. We'll have Geff on the grid with us this time too, and with his TracksideRC paint scheme.

Will we see the boys again from HB for this time round?,.. hope so.

Btw, if anyone wants bodies etc, I've got 4 full rider/body sets made up that I'll bring with me..

C U all on Friday..

Shaun
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:27 AM
Joined May 2009
969 Posts
You smell Popcorn?! ~
Risknreward is offline Find More Posts by Risknreward
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:32 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risknreward View Post
Heya hiya from Melbourne.1/5th is in order many of the crew that go to Lilydale mix it up now with 1/8ths and 5ths since the track is massive it screams 1/5th . Another racer Lukey B is in the same mind set so I'm thinking a KP and he may go Mclarney.If any knows of someone out to sell thiers /Rolling chassis whatever let me know. May just go fresh with the 10.
Sounds like maybe a once or twice a year interstate meet to me. That would be fun..

If I was you see if you can find a KP09e roller, if not, yeah go fresh with the 10e.. The 09e and the 10e are very similar in handling anyway..

I can't help you with a 2nd hand setup tho, Im helping someone else find one atm.. lol
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:41 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risknreward View Post
You smell Popcorn?! ~
No , just getting excited thinking about doing battle on fri night against Geff Hamon. He's one of those guys that picks up a new toy and drives it like he's been doing it for ages. He runs TracksideRC next to the track and he's got my old 08/09e chass..