HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by scaulfi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Boondall
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by test driver
hey Troy, a cheaper motor is the castle creations 4200, if you. Buy direct from their site. Last time I checked was only 20usd.sue it's a. It slower but makes it easier around a 1/10 scale track. Could be a little slow for brendale though
Eden
I'm considering a Emotion SP brushless combo by Speed Passion. It consisting of 5200kv motor and speed controller. It will be slower than Troy's 6000kv but I hope it will make the bike still controllable. (around $210 AUD)

Are there any other better choices?
Havago Racing is offline Find More Posts by Havago Racing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Boondall
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
5 sleeps to go

Racing this Sunday should be 'BIG'. Hopefully we will have a full starting grid of bikes to look forward to seeing. (Something I've never seen in Australia yet)

Everyone cross their fingers and hope everyone can make it

The Venom arrived yesterday and I've already started fiddling with it. Time to make a shopping list.....
I'll bring it with me on Sunday for a run if I get it back together in time. Perhaps Lennie, Shaun and Troy could bring theirs and we could have a race of some sort?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:36 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havago Racing
Racing this Sunday should be 'BIG'. Hopefully we will have a full starting grid of bikes to look forward to seeing. (Something I've never seen in Australia yet)

Everyone cross their fingers and hope everyone can make it

The Venom arrived yesterday and I've already started fiddling with it. Time to make a shopping list.....
I'll bring it with me on Sunday for a run if I get it back together in time. Perhaps Lennie, Shaun and Troy could bring theirs and we could have a race of some sort?
Sounds like its going to be a great day, lets hope the weather holds out for us!.

i'll bring the venom along, we might get a chance for a run over lunch or something ?. I've been doing a lot of brake tweaking and Its feeling pretty good at the moment.
Are you running the stock ESC dave ?. Have you got another one you can use ?.

I wouldnt worry about the 5200 being underpowered, the only time you'll have to worry is on the straight when the 6000 will have time to wind out. Reckon I could lower the gearing pretty significantly.

Might have to roll out a new body for the mclarney this weekend, I tore one of the body mount holes last race trying to mount the divider rails on the infield.
TroyM is offline Find More Posts by TroyM
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2008
155 Posts
Fingers crossed for good weather. I've organised the day off and don't have to look after the kids, the bike's running well, the planets have aligned, I'm there!
61DUB is offline Find More Posts by 61DUB
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Boondall
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
I gave the Venom bike a run yesterday after work out in the street out the front of my house and I have to declare that the stock motor and ESC has to go!

If the stock motor is equivalent to a 4000kv brushless then I can see why Troy was suggesting a 6000kv motor! What motor are you running Lennie?

Troy - what ESC are you running with your little bike? (what will fit?) and where did you get the ESC and motor from?

My street isn't very smooth and when cornering, the steel sliders would catch and unbalance the bike. The Fm1e doesn't have this problem due to its size and weight. I want to upgrade to nylon sliders - any suggestions ?(diameter etc)

After the Logan track has been re-surfaced and if we have enough interest, we could start racing the 1/8 scale bike occasionally there on the opposite weekend to Brendale (one a month perhaps?). It will be a Saturday night so we may need to give Troy a petition with all our signatures and a cash incentive for the missus so that he can attend )

...Only three sleeps to go.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:01 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Havago: I can't imagine that anyone would compare the stock motor to a 4000kV brushless. My much heavier OTO with stock gearing and stock 4050kV motor hits 33.3 MPH.

I use 1/8" 6/6 nylon rod for my sliders, with aluminum antenna mounts to hold them. Just be sure to offset the right-side mounts 4mm from the chassis to make up for the asymetrical chassis plates.

Lito
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer
I use 1/8" 6/6 nylon rod for my sliders, with aluminum antenna mounts to hold them. Just be sure to offset the right-side mounts 4mm from the chassis to make up for the asymetrical chassis plates.
Lito, I've heard mixing imperial and metric measurements in the same sentence can cause temporary blindness
I'm using a set of custom Scaulfi alloy offset mounts, they work a treat and look awesome but he didnt seem too keen to make lots of them, they must be fiddly to machine. You can only ask
They are cut to use that heavy duty (3.1mm) whipper snipper cord, it has the perfect amount of give and durability for these bikes. Its like Shaun designed the cord to suit.
Quote:
Troy - what ESC are you running with your little bike? (what will fit?) and where did you get the ESC and motor from?
Its a cheap chinese "Wing Sing" branded 30amp ESC, $14 from ebay!. Its not great but its good enough. If anything its a little big, I really had to squeeze it in. I'm still on the lookout for a 2nd hand Mamba25, when I find one i'll replace it.
The motor is a Losi xcelorin 6000. I got it from Jamie at CMS, I dont think he usually stocks them though, not too sure.
I wanted to go the Hyperion Y22 6000kv as the can is a little shorter and it has a built-in heatsink but they are harder to come by.

Quote:
After the Logan track has been re-surfaced and if we have enough interest, we could start racing the 1/8 scale bike occasionally there on the opposite weekend to Brendale (one a month perhaps?). It will be a Saturday night so we may need to give Troy a petition with all our signatures and a cash incentive for the missus so that he can attend )
Sounds great, i'd be up for that (pending permission, of course )
Quote:

...Only three sleeps to go.
Excited!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:36 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Troy -- Hmmmm, 1/8", 3.1mm -- sounds about the same to me (darnit, there I go again!!!!). That line trimmer cord is probably a bit tougher than the straight nylon I use. I just might have to take a trip to my local hardware store.

Sounds like you're having fun with the bike -- good to hear it!

Lito
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:46 AM
Anywhere there is room to fly...
Joined Feb 2004
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM
The motor is a Losi xcelorin 6000. I got it from Jamie at CMS, I dont think he usually stocks them though, not too sure.
I wanted to go the Hyperion Y22 6000kv as the can is a little shorter and it has a built-in heatsink but they are harder to come by.
The Xcelorin 6000kv, Hyperion Y22 6000kv and Hyperion Y22 5000kv motors are all in stock now. Lots of GPV upgrades and spares too...

Anyone affected by the flooding up there???
Troy, did everyone you know in Bendigo escape the fires? It missed us by under 1 kilometer, but luckily we were away anyway!!!
For those who know Bendigo, if you look in the pic below, you can see how close it was to town (you can see the cathedral).
pitts is offline Find More Posts by pitts
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:20 AM
newcastle Australia
Joined May 2004
667 Posts
hey Shaun,
I decided to follow you example and cut out a "mini mclarney" chassis.
(i'll post pics later when I have it mounted together)

I have just gotten the computer on my mill fixed so I wanted to test it out.
The only diffence is that on the 1/5 scale mclarney the motor mount and layshaft bearing carrier are Al, while I have made the 1/8 scale ones out of 3mm carbon.
I should be able to cut a couple of chassis' out for you now. I should have a bit of free time over the weekend so I will have a go.

Eden
test driver is offline Find More Posts by test driver
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2008
155 Posts
I'm coming Sunday. Could someone please tell me what time I need to be there? What time does the track open too please? I'm hoping to get some practice laps in before racing.

Thanks.
Ross.
61DUB is offline Find More Posts by 61DUB
Old Feb 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitts
The Xcelorin 6000kv, Hyperion Y22 6000kv and Hyperion Y22 5000kv motors are all in stock now. Lots of GPV upgrades and spares too...

Anyone affected by the flooding up there???
Troy, did everyone you know in Bendigo escape the fires? It missed us by under 1 kilometer, but luckily we were away anyway!!!
Good news about the hyperion, I can almost feel an upgrade coming on

The fires were very close to some of my family in Eaglehawk but they were lucky and missed it by a couple of blocks. Bendigo in general was very lucky considering what happened in some other places hey.
How about you, everyone OK down there ?
Great pic, I never knew it got that close, from what i'd heard it was mostly eaglehawk/long gully areas.

Lito, the only imperial lengths I can visualise are a yard, a foot and an inch, everything else I just cant picture, even imperial tools get to me enough that I avoid buying product if its not metric. Just the way we were taught I guess. I can imagine the younger generation couldn't picture a foot without thinking of shoes.
Keep up the good work with the podcasts, you've got a couple of regular listeners over this way.

Ross, I dont know what time it opens but you'd be pretty safe arriving at 8, there always seems to be someone around. I think nominations are at 9.

Eden, put me down for one of those
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
hmmm, showers are forcast for Sunday, hopefully it's only late in the arvo
Nexzzt is offline Find More Posts by Nexzzt
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:53 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by test driver
hey Shaun,
I decided to follow you example and cut out a "mini mclarney" chassis.
(i'll post pics later when I have it mounted together)

I have just gotten the computer on my mill fixed so I wanted to test it out.
The only diffence is that on the 1/5 scale mclarney the motor mount and layshaft bearing carrier are Al, while I have made the 1/8 scale ones out of 3mm carbon.
I should be able to cut a couple of chassis' out for you now. I should have a bit of free time over the weekend so I will have a go.

Eden
Eden,

yeah, I've still got one marked up but have'nt had the time to go cut it out. I was going to make the bearing/layshaft plates out of 3-4mm Ali.

Let me know what I owe you for cuttin out the frame plates too..? Or if you want want to trade labour/parts/machine time etc..

Troy, I only like to make things to order, I don't like to spend time making stuff then trying to knock it off later.. Btw, if anyone wants something made just let me know and the quantities etc..

I've been busy redesigning the KPn for the past 3 weeks and testing it etc, I was at Brendale yesterday from 3pm-5pm testing the nitro chass,.. I've got it handling like my electric chassis KP09e now, getting it to step out nice under throttle onto the front straight and its turning into corners solidly on the brakes and through the turn.. I'm getting it ready for the worlds

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:02 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Ross, the gates open up at 8am, but I have a key, so whatever time you want them too .., just let me know what time you want to get there by and I'll be there to open up for you.. Is 7am okay?,.. I've got more KP/n testing to do anyway...

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi