HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by scaulfi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2006, 05:44 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
No worries troy.. Looking forward to coming down and running the bike for the first time in weeks.. lol Give the 4 wheel guy some lessons on how to do it on 2 wheels..

Oh, BTW,.. another friend of mine that used to run bikes with me a few years back (Tezza) just picked up his bike yesterday,.. so we'll have another runner with us too soon..

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:19 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Troy,.. Have you got your bike yet..? You must be crawling the walls by now..?! lol

Ben and I are definetly coming down this Saturday, probably around the same time we were going to be there last weekend.. Around lunch time.., we'll let you know anyway..

Shaun
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Hey Shaun, yep he finally turned up, all in good order apart from a few little (but important) items missing. I have no motor mounts or crashbars. I'm sure there is probably something else I havent discovered yet but I've placed an order with 2wheelhobbies for the important stuff already (and also some not so important stuff .

It's pretty standard a the moment, but i'll attach a couple of pics anyway

I'm keen for tomorrow, The battery still hasnt turned up for the HOR yet but maybe i'll get lucky today.

The only other thing (apart from motor mount) to get it running is a receiver. I think i'll take a trip to the LHS this afternoon and see what they've got.
TroyM is offline Find More Posts by TroyM
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:25 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Awesome Troy..! I think I have a spare motor mount around here, I'll bring it with me today, and also a battery to get it running.. I have some piano wire that I used to use for Cbars you can have too.. Is there anything else you've noticed that's missing that you'll need for today..???

You'll need some proper tires for it too, GRP or PMT,.. I have an old tredded GRP you can use aswell to get that piramid front tire off it.. Do you have a motor and ESC yet..? I'll bring that Novak 5800 motor and ESC with me so you can use it..

Shaun
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:58 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
I've got a motor and esc just no receiver, can you believe the two LHS' didnt have one ?. I was thinking of making a trip up to runaway bay to get one from there. The guy said he would split one from a transmitter kit for me.
If you have one spare that would be cool, it's a 29Mhz AM.

What time do you think you'll be down this way ?.
I got some bike spokes that I thought might be useable for crash bars but havent got them in yet.
Also I've been reading the 1000 threads on here about the fm1e forks binding, mine are pretty dodgy but i've managed to smooth them up a little just with some ideas from here. I think they need a full rebuild to be 'all they can be'
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:14 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
I also realised I havent got much in the way of a steering linkage, The bike came with a ball mounted rod but it looks like it's been snapped off and only just reaches the servo horn.
I thought the spokes might fit in the cap thingy but they're just a frction too big..
I was looking around the LHS for some of those collets with the grub screws in them yesterday too, they had no idea what i was talking about so maybe i'm asking for the wrong thing..
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:36 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Troy,.. we'll be down at Gilly around 12-12.30ish... Ben's here now, I just have to get my gear in order and we'll be on our way.. I've noted everything you'll need so I'll bring it with me..

Shaun
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:41 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
sweet, see you there!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 05:04 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Thanks Shaun and Ben for all your help getting setup yesterday, had an awesome time even though I didnt quite make it onto the track. I'm sure i'll be up for it before too long.

I'm prepping up for a trip to the car park today to get some more practice in

Thanks again!, I've included some pics of the track on the day.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:03 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Troy, No probs!.. I'm stoked you had a good day yesterday too.. Your so lucky you live so close to Gilly, the track and the grip of it was awesome, my tires show how agressive and fast that layout is.. I swelled up 2 of my lipo packs cause of the heat of the day.. (I think what did it was, I felt the the pack going flat halfway down the back straight and getting it back to the pits from there was what made them swell up.., from over discharge).. Ooppsss!.. Oh well, I've got 2 more packs coming soon.. The nitro bike went well though with the new chassis..

Yeah, get some parking lot practice in, and get used to accelerating upto a hairpin and and taking the corner nice.. Also, throttle control into and out of the corners... (Point and Shoot) Before to long you'll find it alot easier to make it around the track... Do some little and big Figure 8's,.. they help alot too...

It's great to Sirena has some interest in the bikes too,.. hey, she might even be your rival one day! lol

Also, I think we impressed a few of the car guys yesterday too.. If and when we start racing there, I think we might pick up the numbers before to long and have a full grid of bikes..! Alot of the TC guys were impressed on how the bikes could have a huge HiSide and then keep going with nothing bent or broken...

So,.. next weekend again,.. same time, same place..?? I'm keen..!

Shaun
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:35 AM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
That new chassis looked awesome on the nitro bike, did you make that one ?.

Also, whats a TC guy ?

I've had a couple of runs in the parking lot and gone through another set of crash bars and busted a servo, I have no idea how it happened but it's pretty much spinning freely now. Luckily I got a spare one the same time I got that one in anticipation of that happening .

I think i'm ready to give the track a go now, i've got the turning and staying upright thing pretty much down pat, doing some nice consistent figure 8's, i've just been trying to go faster. Still got a fair way to go before i'm keeping up with you and Ben though.

A lot of the guys there on Sat were impressed with the bikes, I dont think it would take too much to get a class happening there at all..
I'm also keen for saturday again, I might head down a bit earlier, say 11 or so to get a run in before anyone else shows up. On the website it looks like they have a meet on Sunday so there will probably be a bit more practice happening on the saturday. Maybe it will just be the same as last sat, it wasnt too bad at all.

Oh yeah, my engine mount and some other bits and pieces turned up (Thanks Bruce !, very fast delivery) so I can give your sparie back now.

Hoping for another awesome day, it's been a bit rainy down here the last day and a half but it usually clears up by the weekend.

Sorena may be a rival one day but I can tell you of all the stacks the poor little bike has had so far she's been at the controls for the most severe of them
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Troy,.. TC is short for 'Touring Car'..

The new nitro chassis is just the same as my electric chassis,.. I made 2 chassis at the same time but never knew what to do with the other one,.. well now it's nitro.. I'm pretty happy with it's performance..

Yeah,.. get in some track practice while no ones there, and stand in the middle of the track for the first few time till you get the hang of most of the corners,.. then head for the drivers stand...

I'll have to miss this weekend though,.. I got 2 free 4Day passes to the Indy, I though Ben was going too but only on Friday, I can only make it on Sat and Sun.. Tezza's coming with me (you hav'nt met him yet), but we might stop in at Gilly on the way home on Sat arvo so he can get a look at the track, and maybe put in some laps..

Anyway, I'll get back to you, running a bit late for work.. lol C'ya!

Shaun
Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:09 AM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
518 Posts
Nice work on those frames, they looked great.
Have you been to Indy before ?. I went a few years ago but it didnt do too much for me, awesome atmosphere though. Maybe if they had some bikes doing the circuit too I could get into it more

My work is about 1Km from the track so its all we hear for a couple of days (starting tomorrow). And of course the jets and choppers flying about all the time.

I'll prob head to gilly Sat morning and drain my packs early so I can come back for a second run later in the day

Where did you get that piano wire from ?. I got some brass rod which is a fair bit better than the spokes for crashbars but still not as good as the piano wire.
I also found a plastics company in acacia ridge today that do teflon tubing in a huge range of sizes, I might try and get hold of some of that as well.

My GRP tyres came in the mail today so i'm just about to get into it.
Hope you got to work on time
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:16 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
Thanks Troy!.. No, I hav'nt been to the Indy before yet, but I've watched some of it from a friends balcony once before.. I don't really get into car racing that much, but with free tickets I wont say no.. I'd hate to be working in one of the buildings just next to the track, you would'nt be able to work, you'd just want to go and watch...

I'll give you a call on Sat and see where your at and make a time to meet etc.. For piano wire, usually any LHS (local hobby shop) will stock K&S metals, they have all sizes of piano wire, Ali rod/tube, Ali plate, etc, etc... If you can't find any, just let me know the size you want and I can pick some up for you..

That place you found at AcaciaRidge, do they stock 'quick realese' hose fittings for their taflon tubing?,.. do they have a site/link..?

Cool, you got your GRP's, but just use those older ones I gave you first and get another set of rims for those new tires so you can just change them over without having to unstick and reglue the tires to the wheels/rims..

Here's a pic of what my rear GRP/B22 tire looked like after one battery pack last Sat.. And a few picks of the bikes naked.. (Next time I'll bring my camera too)...

Shaun
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:25 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
That is one awesome looking track. Looks very bike-friendly too! Hope you guys can get something consistent going on there.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123