SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:31 PM
Joined Jan 2002
314 Posts
Futaba FP-S28 servo: any good?

I have 3 Futaba FP-S28 servos that are about 20 years old and have never been used. I am thinking about using them now. Is anyone fimiliar with these servos? Are they any good? Is there a Futaba servo chart somewhere that I can compare the specs with other servos? Thanks.
Bret is offline Find More Posts by Bret
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Are they any good?
For what application?

Quote:
Is there a Futaba servo chart somewhere that I can compare the specs with other servos?
Futaba Servo Data
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2002
314 Posts
Thanks. I'm thinking about building one of these S.P.A.D. planes... http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/PQHor/ .

However, the radio I have is a Hitec Flash 5. Actually I'm not sure if I can even use the Futaba FP-S28 servos with this radio.
Bret is offline Find More Posts by Bret
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:30 PM
Cognitive Liberty
Urbana, Illinois
Joined Apr 2003
31 Posts
Your going to run into problems with the leads. If they have G plugs on them ,which I think they do, you will need to get this.

Futaba Servo Adapter

Then probably have to rig up another adapter to get it to fit the RX.

Then again you could always just cut off the old leads and solder on some Hitec leads.

As far as them actually working you'll have to try them out to find out.
mwkid19 is offline Find More Posts by mwkid19
Old Mar 08, 2008, 10:49 PM
Bolingbrook, IL
Joined Nov 2007
7 Posts
fp-s28 converted works ok

In response to converting a G to a J connector on FP-S28 servo's, yes they work. I have a 70's plane with an AM radio. The receiver is FP-S4F using G connectors. I cut off the G connectors and bought male and female J connectors. They attached nicely to an FM receiver FP-R127DF. So I went from an AM channel 54 to an FM channel 26 using the same servos, but changing the receiver. I share a common transmitter with one of my other planes since the AM transmitter was lost. Regards, john
bballjunkie1 is offline Find More Posts by bballjunkie1
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:24 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
the only thing to consider with servos that old (never used) is... have the gears gotten brittle. Some of the plastics used for gears can get brittle and weak with age.

The old servos should work fine..

If you are having to change the plug... red and black (+/-) are still the same, Futaba used to have yellow, where they now have white for the signal wire. You can get a kit to replace the connectors on 4 servos for about $10
Unfortunately... its not easy to do the crimps without a $35 tool
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
helo, Im at same dilema as you, as far as I could search that kind of servo are really strong and waith similar torque as s 3003 but, at lesast half of quick, I ll use to throtle.
pdactylo is offline Find More Posts by pdactylo
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdactylo View Post
helo, Im at same dilema as you, as far as I could search that kind of servo are really strong and waith similar torque as s 3003 but, at lesast half of quick, I ll use to throtle.
Was a good servo, full data sheet is attached.
NB: Output shafts are early shape and compatible horns may now be hard to find - check any held are not brittle. Gently simmer for 20 minutes usually restores the moisture content/fexibility in nylon plastic.
Servo - Horn Arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility
S-28 = "" plug, S-128 = "J" plug S-(1)28L = reverse rotation direction.
(Tip - right click picture & open in new window so as to be able to expand many fold)

See also sub Section "Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ." under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.