HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2001, 09:55 PM
NY NY USA
Joined Jun 2000
715 Posts
What have you currently been flying? For how long?
They are good looking and flying planes, but not good for a rank beginner.
Dan
Daniel English is offline Find More Posts by Daniel English
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2001, 12:05 AM
Australia
Joined May 2001
56 Posts
If you haven't flown EDF before or a touchy model then the F-16 might best be left until later. If it is really cheap buy it now and fly later!
sbarrow is offline Find More Posts by sbarrow
Old May 18, 2001, 01:58 AM
united kingdom
Joined Mar 2001
18 Posts
F 16-Any good as a second model?

I can get an F 16 going cheap (new).What are they like to fly? Is this the next step or am i trying to run before i can walk
thanks
Rich
richardp is offline Find More Posts by richardp
Old May 19, 2001, 02:29 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
I would not try that as a second plane. First, an EDF is not easy to handle and it is less forgiving. If you can get it cheap, share the secret. But you better learn to walks fast before you can run. Stay with the mundine(sp?) plane now and learn the skill. There is plenty of time to crasht eh fast planes later in life, an incentive to stay with the hobby, crashing plane after it's time.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 19, 2001, 07:11 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Assuming you mean the Kyosho F16, it is NOT an appropriate second model.
Zagi if you're a typical pilot, X250 if you're ahead of the curve.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 20, 2001, 12:30 AM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Listen to Andy. I've seen him fly his F-16 (at DEAF last fall). What a beautiful plane to see in flight!

Andy really knows how to fly a plane, but it still made me nervous watching him launch this one. It seemed like a rather intense experience for him as the pilot and he only flew it once that Saturday.

If you want to try something jet-like, try the TwinJet. I've really enjoyed flying mine.

Another thing to remember is that the kit is only part of the cost of getting one of these into the air. Do you have the ESC and packs capable of handling the amp draw associated with a high-performance EDF like the F-16?
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old May 20, 2001, 03:20 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Message to Andy W.

You posted almost 8500 messages in less than two years!! Translates to 10-12 messages everyday, most impressive!

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 20, 2001, 04:59 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Hi Rich,

I wonder what you mean by "cheap". They were listed at 130 not so long ago, but they now appear to be 80 in most places, and if prices continue to follow the T33, it could be listed even lower.

I have been flying for over 25 years, and although I've looked at the F16 (though not seen it fly), there are two things stopping me buying it:

The wing loading appears rather high for me to find it an enjoyable flying experience, though many would buy it because of the high wing loading!

A friend has a T33 which originally flew in a mediocre fashion for 3 minutes. The model now has a 200+ Astro 05 brushless with 3000 NiMh in it, and it now flies well for up to 9 minutes, but it's nowhere near the performance of my ElectroStreak which flies for just about as long on a 35 Velkom 24/10 using 2000 NiCds. My ElectroStreak isn't anywhere near the ultimate in performance, but I'm not recommending it for a near beginner.

Good luck, John

John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old May 25, 2001, 06:16 PM
united kingdom
Joined Mar 2001
18 Posts
Thanks for all your comments a little more homework and practice is required
rich
richardp is offline Find More Posts by richardp