HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2002, 12:58 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,212 Posts
John,

I think the 7" boom will give you some trouble. I think 8 - 8.5 will be better.

BTW ,, looks great.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2002, 01:28 AM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
Bill, from what i understood in the instructions it indicates that the boom will be 7" after cutting 1" from the supplied 8" one.
here's the actual plans:

i measured the rotor blades a tail rotor clearance and they won't be able to come in contact with each other.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 19, 2002, 03:06 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,212 Posts
Hi John,

Ok I see it now. I was worried as in the DIY fly I had to lengthen the boon to 8-1/2, or the torque from the mains was to much for the tail and it just spun.

This might have changed with the production blades.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2002, 03:37 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
as a heli newbie and Fly owner this is great stuff guys...on weight concerns, is anything to be gained by reducing the gws pico servo case weight, like cutting out 1 or more entire case sides or bottom..I haven't had the nerve to open a servo yet to evaluate ...any thoughts or tried results on this possible cheap mod....thanks,......kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Jan 19, 2002, 03:45 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,212 Posts
Hi Killer,

Dump the whole case. Open it up and remove the board inside and mount it with the paper mount mario talks about. This can be seen over at my site on my DIY version. The same has to be done with the production version. Keep the case handy so that if something goes wrong with the servo, It can be put back into the case and returned to were you bought it. Shhhhh, Thats a secret though.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2002, 05:03 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
thanks, Bill.... that's a great idea... somehow when I read about Mario's cardstock mounting system description, I didn't realize i could dump the whole case...any cautions on removing the gws pico case..any screws or glue joints to break or just the clear plastic slieve like thing holding the case on ??? thanks kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Jan 19, 2002, 12:13 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
well, due to time constraints, i didn't get it flying yet-but i will definitely be airborne tonight!!!!!
here's how far i got:

the assembly went very easy and well, however my main gear has a little bit of wobble to it so it was a little difficult to set a mesh that i was finally happy with. i love the brass balls and micro socket links. they move VERY smoothly and didn't require any work to make them move freely (like on the other two brands). all i have to do is mount all of the electronics, wire it all up and she should be ready to go.

i'm going to start a new topic tonight, and i'll write a review of it's flying characteristics and flight times.

overall, i am very pleased and impressed with Mario's work so far.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk