SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2002
100 Posts
Which one to choose!!!????? SH*T!

I'm soooo confused. I've been reading and reading for like the past 3 weeks- all the forums and all the ads I've found on ebay.

Which one should I buy... there are like a million (well, not really, maybe 4 or 5) different 'similar' models:

Jabo
Colco Thunderbird
Aerohawk
Feda
GWS
Dragonfly

They all seem to run at around the $180 +S&H range. Some are FM radios, some are PCM, etc. Some of them for a few dollars more even come with a spy camera (1.2GHz).

So, what is the recommended one? I was leaning towards the aerohawk based upon the forum posts, but then I've had a few people claim the Colco has better "individual" electronics (separate mixer,gyro,rx) vs. some of the others that have 3-in-1 units.

I'm so confused! There are just so many to choose from and each of them claim "easiest and best helicopter to learn on". Now, I know micros are tough to start with, but I've been flying micro planes for a while and the the price along with the ability to fly indoors is really enticing.

ps- I already assume that I will be doing some basic mods on whatever I get to make it fly better (sanding down the joints to make things smoother, installing a spring - if needed - to hold the blades a bit advanced, etc.).
webnetxpress is offline Find More Posts by webnetxpress
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2002
100 Posts
forgot to add, i'm ready to buy over the weekend or on Monday, so I'm desparate to pick the right one and start my training!
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2002
100 Posts
and, my LHS only stocks parts for the Piccolo, but the price of that heli just seems to much. the LHS wants $350+ for a complete FUN kit with radio (maybe, can't remember). So whatever I buy I was planning on buying a full set of replacement parts (crash kit), training kit, extra batteries, etc....
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:32 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
go with dragonfly or aerohawk
aerohawk1 is offline Find More Posts by aerohawk1
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:33 PM
United States, CA, Stanton
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
Your best bet would be a Dragonfly or a HummingBird . Parts are more readly available at local hobby shops or online then the Colco Thunderbird which by the way comes on 30/32mhz band not legal in the US. Browse the Heli for sell wanted section here usually some good deals here or you can try ebay.
mdttb is offline Find More Posts by mdttb
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:39 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
From what I've read,the Aerohawk has a better/simpler rotor head design and is easier to fly out of the box.
The Dragonfly,however,has slightly better parts availability and I think comes standard with a sim...a must.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:42 PM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts
Looks like you have the same situation I had before.... I had a hummingbird FP, hornet CP, piccolo pro, and finally Shogun 400.

If this is your first attempt to fly a heli...

1. Buy century's hummingbird with fixed pitch (about $89?)...
2. Use a separate electronics:
- Radio (a good one)
- Receiver with 6 channels (This is NOT a typo, yes... 6.. six)
- Electronic Speed Controller, Castle Creation 25A maybe (Yes, 25A...)
- Himax-4100 (long can) brushless motor

3. This electronics may be a little too much for Hummingbird FP. However, it will be worthy to invest.

4. After you get used with a basic flying with Hummingbird, DON'T LOOK AT OTHER HELIS, just go with Shogun 400. Once you see a Shogun 400, you will not look back to those tiny toy-like helis anymore.

Just from my experience...
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:44 PM
MeVs Gravity, Gravity won
Cambridge, U.K.
Joined May 2004
358 Posts
whaever form aerohawk / humingbrid / Dragonfly that you can get cheap spairs easly

Jarg

p.s. i use pre flight (don't yet have my aerohawk yet, it is in the post from canada) and i find it is a much better sim that fms for helies at least
Jarg is offline Find More Posts by Jarg
Old Jun 24, 2004, 09:13 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
just to confuse you even more, the twister is a good heli
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Jun 24, 2004, 09:24 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
^yeah,but a 4 in 1?^
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:47 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
In the end.....of getting a micro to actually fly.....you would be further ahead to build one. Think about it at least. From the best of my experience so far these box stock heli's need to be upgraded to fly anyhow. I am at the point of starting over with my Aerohawk, due to some malfunction in the receiver/ESC, Motor, Transmitter something has gone araay.....it flies, but I don't call it flying....under control yet......

You will learn faster, have better interest, and end up with a heli that flies longer, smoother and more reliable then a box micro. Convince yourself that the investment to learn and master the micro is worth it, then buy all seperates and shop for the best deals on Ebay and other Web stores. You will only pay slightly more, but have a really nice performing heli......box stock doesn't fly, none of them. Mostly they are hovering helicopters that can barely make it in the air, and most of them just are out of control. It has taken me almost two months of upgrades, parts, crashes, and still don't believe it will fly forward yet......My Aerohawk.....is grounded for some reason....?

I believe you have done your homework, read what flies and what don't, the Aerohawk mechanics are sound, the Hiller HB is sound, and the clones have good sooth systems. It's the cheap electronics that kill them.
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Last edited by Geoffrey109; Jun 24, 2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:06 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
I agree...
if I had the foresight,I would have built my own.
I disagree with the $ factor,though.These RTF kits are getting pretty cheap and if you just want to "hover around",can't beat 'em.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:21 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
I was suggesting a heli that not only could hover right, but fly right as well. Without any adjustabity on the transmitter/receiver/ESC it is hard to upgrade to better motors, blades, and batteries to continue into forward flight....

I believe this that a mirco heli must have the ability to at least fly with out the gitters, the twitches, the glitches and have plenty of power, and flight time. STOCK heli's can hover with work, but never achieve the FF. The Lynxman is the only one I've seen fly a basic Aerohawk, but has a brushless/3C Lipoly to power it......but doubt he flies with a stock transmitter......
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:29 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
I kinda agree with geoffrey..and kinda don't. A box stock heli is really just a hovering machine and to get it to fly forward nicely you do need to upgrade it (woodies and a head stiffener)

However to a newbie, the whole heli thing is a complete mystery. I didn't even know what the sticks did on the TX when I started and I have 2 yrs fixed wing experience, so although building a heli from scratch may be better value for money, it's also pretty darn hard.

as has been said many times here, and I have always advised, get something well known that you can get spares for easily....you will need them. I'm a fan of the dragonlfy...simply because that's what I get locally and there are HEAPS of mods, upgrades and advice all over the world and this forum.

My stock dragonfly hovered very nicely when trimmed correctly. It's now on steriods and hovers no better...although it is more responsive and can FF...etc.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer