SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:17 AM
Crash Dummy!!!
Dallas Love, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2004
327 Posts
GWS Pico Moth Kit plus - good deal?

I bought this brand spanking new setup and wonder what else I need or what should I upgrade.
I think it was a good deal ($184 shipped)????
I heard not to use the glue in the package is there anything else I should watch out for when I build it?

Package Content:
GWS1020 Pico Tiger Moth Kit (Yellow, w Upgraded EPS-350C Power System)
Upgraded EPS-350C Power System
Light weight Propeller
Ultralight Wheel
Safety Spinner
GWS T4A II 4 Channel FM Transmitter - 72MHz
TX Crystal *
AC Dual Charger (TX & RX)
NiMH TX Battery Pack
Instruction Manual
Depending on stock, color or transmitter case is: SkyBlue, Gray, or Black.
Standard Mode 2 (throttle left)
GWS MC-2002 Field Charger
One Instruction Sheet
One set of charging connector (Tamiya,FireBird, Standard RX, JST/BEC)
(2) GWS Pico+ Ball Bearing Sub Micro Servos
GWS R4-P Sub Micro FM Receiver (w/ matching crystal *)
GWS ICS-300 8A norm 15A peak Speed Controller
GWS 7.2V 350 mAH 2/3 AA Battery Pack JST connector
USB RC Simulator
bhenry is offline Find More Posts by bhenry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:26 AM
des moines, ia 50310
Joined Jul 2001
211 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. As far as the glue, I think it is great it's just that GWS does not explain that it is contact cement and when used as such I love it. I used it on my E Starter and Pizza and it works great. Just put a little on each piece to be glued, wait a few minutes and press together. I built my Moth completely stock and thought that it flew very well. There are many mods others suggest, if you search for them you should be able to find tons of info here.
birdbrain is online now Find More Posts by birdbrain
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:50 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
http://www.tigermothsquadron.com/ - flying wires to brace the wings are a great idea

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
hardhats required
ks, usa
Joined Feb 2004
438 Posts
Just be sure to take your time and it will reward you with great flight. I replaced the plastic struts with light ply. And made tiny slices in the wings for more strength than just gluing to the surface of the wing. And I used light fishing line to make the wing wires. Look for the tiger moth mods thread and all the details are there.

I also used a set of 1 1/4 inch Du-Bro ultra light foam wheels. Promptly lost one of the stock wheels on the first flight.

And the kit glue works great for me. Just be sure to wipe all surfaces down with some rubbing or denatured alcohol first to remove any paint dust or mold release agents.

And is your kit already set up for the 350? I think GWS has relocated the servos towards the rear of the fuse to keep the planes balance right. Just be sure to get it balanced perfect and she will fly so easy.

My moth has made several flights and it is a really neat plane to watch in a slow fly by right in front of you.

See ya,
Rod
rchotrod is offline Find More Posts by rchotrod
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:59 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2 Posts
not a bad deal

sounds Like a great deal with the upgraded motor,servos and a 4 channel radio to boot. YES dont use THE GWS GLUE. Go to your hobbie shop and get some 5 minute epoxy you will have to mix it up but it drys fast and is alot stronger. dont use any super or jet glue it will melt the fome.
That is one of my favorit park plane you will love it.
Aaron
Fort Worth, TX
a.springfield is offline Find More Posts by a.springfield
Old Jun 25, 2004, 06:21 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I would say watch out for the batt pack. I don't think 6 cells are enough for a 350. It will probably fly but not that great. Either use lipoly pack or 8 cell Kan
650's.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jun 26, 2004, 04:51 PM
Crash Dummy!!!
Dallas Love, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2004
327 Posts
Thanks for you advice.

I started putting it together and it's more difficult than I figured it would be.
Mainly because the instructions are not very good.

I have built large wooden kits before and enjoyed it but having to guess at some of the tasks is not fun when you want to do it right.

The 5 minute epoxy is great.

The one thing I gave up on is putting the support rod in the wing.
You need to have the wing angle at 80mm but if I insert the rod it will bend the wing down.

I'm not sure who other solve that problem. I will search for the answer.
bhenry is offline Find More Posts by bhenry
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:37 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
GWS poor instructions thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245698
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon