HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2004, 02:29 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
Yippee!
Guillow's Spitfire success unmodified!!

I was feeling a little lazy and spoiled with my growing fleet of "Flying Styro" and "Alfa" models. Rather than spring for the tempting Styro Spit (to counter the Me109) i figured Id take it back to the old school and build me a Guillows kit. At 27 inch span and built using all the wood in the kit (airframe weight approx 150g) i am surprised how quick and smooth this kit went together (total building time to first flight being 2 days).

Radio: 2 hitec hs 50 servos, gws 6n rx with e cubed mini antenna
ESC: Great planes nano 5 amp
Motor: speed 280 with a Great Planes t-280 4.1:1 gear box.
Prop: stole the 3 blader out of the old Flying styro Me109
Bat: 2 cell kokam 700mah pack

The most tasking job was installing ailerons (carved depron and piano wire torque rods). Flying consisted of three test glides then off she went. A little underpowered but in calm conditions this will be a real winner, has that rubber powered sort of feel. I will experiment with props but the 3 blader is so scale.

In concluding, i am very impressed with how easily and smooth this project progressed. For anyone who grew up building these Guillows you'll be thrilled to buzz this around the sky. Too bad there isn't a Tempest in the same size, the old man is eyeing the Stuka collecting dust in the corner. Will post some pics. Lorne
lw_hughes is offline Find More Posts by lw_hughes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2004, 02:40 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Congratulations on the uneventful and successful coversion! Most people I hear from say their Guillows balsa was cracked, crushed or otherwise tortured by the die-cutting machine. Looks like you got lucky (or perhaps Guillows is making laser cut parts.)

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures. By the way, what did you use to cover it? The standard tissue in the kit or something else?

Regards,
Cameron Aach

P.S. Didn't notice you were new to the EZone. Welcome! Where in Toronto are you from (I live in eastern Mississauga, beside the Hershey Center/Iceland Hockey Arena)?
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Last edited by The Max-Q; Jun 23, 2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 03:28 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
photos..sorry none in flight...soon if wind abates!!

Here are some photos...i covered this model with the kit included tissue...i wanted the old fashionned look. I have been on this site for a while..finally decided to contribute something. I am living on the East coast now. The wood in this kit was pretty good..medium grade balsa i would say. This wings are held on with rubber bands...not yet sure what to do about the wing fillets???
Old Jun 23, 2004, 04:45 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,404 Posts
REALLY REALLY NICE! Probably the only Guillows Spitfire to EVER actually fly.
My very first ever balsa model was the Guillows Spitfire. I bought a very dusty kit from an old hardware store back in the 60's. I didn't have any of those crushed die cut parts as mentioned because it only had printed sheets of balsa. Took me forever to cut out all those litte ribs and other parts with a straight edged razor blade. Glued it all together with Ambroid glue. (only takes two weeks to dry) Mine didn't have the plastic cowel or formed canopy either. Did it fly? Heck NO! But I sure had a great time building it in my basement. I still rember the smell of the Ambroid, dope and balsa. Almost heaven.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jun 23, 2004, 04:52 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
That's very sweet !

can't wait to see her all finished. I do know that a few Guillows kits are laser cut now,think there's about 4.

At Ryans site there's some wing fillet tips I believe,don't know if they'd apply here,just remember seeing it.
http://home.fuse.net/ryan/download.htm

good luck!
-sf
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:39 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
I just flew it again here in the buoyant morning air. Got some height under it, not that underpowered. The 2 cell kokam 320mah pack seems just right. I tried to get some photos but was unable to handle the camera and tx. I need a helper to take some pictures. What a success..cant get over it, looks really good up there with the white tissue.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:11 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
Guillows spit in flight

Sorry for the poor quality..set the tripod up for these....i must have had this thing up over 800 ft, just a speck. One of the best models i have made in years...flying wise
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:21 PM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Very cool. I love the 'rubber powered' look to it. Any major modifications to fit the radio gear and servos in?

-James.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
no real mods at all...plenty of room in there for pico or hs50/55 servos. Hardest part was to install ailerons. carved them out of depron and pushed piano wire torque rods though ribs. The kokam pack fits perfect in the forward bay. The great planes gear box fit perfectly as well and with that three bladed prop!!! great fit!! Balanced right on the money with no fussing. I must say using those mini antennas from ecubed.com works out well, no wire hanging behind at all. i think i was in a thermal with it earlier.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 07:50 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansascloud
REALLY REALLY NICE! Probably the only Guillows Spitfire to EVER actually fly.
My very first ever balsa model was the Guillows Spitfire. I bought a very dusty kit from an old hardware store back in the 60's. I didn't have any of those crushed die cut parts as mentioned because it only had printed sheets of balsa. Took me forever to cut out all those litte ribs and other parts with a straight edged razor blade. Glued it all together with Ambroid glue. (only takes two weeks to dry) Mine didn't have the plastic cowel or formed canopy either. Did it fly? Heck NO! But I sure had a great time building it in my basement. I still rember the smell of the Ambroid, dope and balsa. Almost heaven.

Mike
\
That must have been the COMET spit, a totally different animal...
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:33 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
more photos..

here are some more images....fw-190 is next , almost done. This is all to easy and cheap!!
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:04 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Is that a speedee bilt B24 in the background there?
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:07 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,917 Posts
What are wing fillets? I see this mentioned a lot and I guess it is a new term to me.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:18 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Keep the great pics coming! Esp. that butcherbird!

Wing fillets are the parts where the wing meets the fuselage. They make the joint smoother and more aerodynamic (instead of a 90 degree bend, its a concave curve.)

A picture is still worth a thousand words. The pink is the fillet. This is a Hurricane by St. Martin:
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Jul 09, 2004, 09:22 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I've got my eye on the Saturn V ! Hoping that will be brought to life someday!

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin